BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
dirtypwntang
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Ridiculous SureType suggestions...

Please Login to Remove!

I can't seem to find a conclusive answer to this one, though it admittedly HAS been posted before. So I'll ask again:

When using SureType, it'll often offer up a ridiculous suggestion for your word, instead of a correct choice. It'll then go so far as to not ALLOW you to even scroll to the right word, unless you delete the word and type it over. Perfect example: if I'm trying to type the word "oh", it'll say "ph", and the list of choices will not show "oh" until I delete and retype. Same thing happens often when trying to type in "your". It'll show "tour", and "your" isn't anywhere on the list of choices.

Any ideas? I've already delete the entire custom dictionary...
Old 12-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

After your done typing the word you want even after backing up, try doing spell check if the words is not being picked up then add it to the dictionary.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
dirtypwntang

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46
After your done typing the word you want even after backing up, try doing spell check if the words is not being picked up then add it to the dictionary.
Well my gripe is that the words already are in the dictionary, yet the blackberry refuses to acknowlege them at certain random times.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
F34R
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 3183666D
Carrier: Alltel

then it's something you're doing wrong... sorry but SureType, is well, pretty Sure... lol
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
amsolo

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Default same here

I know what you mean. I feel the same pain. I had a 7130 with suretype and didn't have these issues of recognizing the words I am having with my 8130. Everything else about the 8130 is better though.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
then it's something you're doing wrong... sorry but SureType, is well, pretty Sure... lol
well.....try typing the word "stripclub" using Suretype.....it takes like 4 or 5 tries, erasing it back to the very beginning of the word in order to get it in. Never realized that RIM would impose it's moral opinions on their users. :D
Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Biggest issue, turn off Auto word learning and 90% of your issues go away after deleteing your custom word list and starting again.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by F34R View Post
Sorry, but plenty of others have the same issues.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
Biggest issue, turn off Auto word learning and 90% of your issues go away after deleteing your custom word list and starting again.
Hmm. Turning it off all-together? Actually maybe that would work. I could just manually include the words (like my e-mail addresses) that I want it to learn.

Thanks, I'll try this one today.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
Mortgage_It

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
anyone know how to turn off this feature on a 8130 model? thanks.
8130 (current)
Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
tgeekb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2448FC02
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
well.....try typing the word "stripclub" using Suretype.....it takes like 4 or 5 tries, erasing it back to the very beginning of the word in order to get it in. Never realized that RIM would impose it's moral opinions on their users. :D
Mine spelled it correctly the very first try so I'm not sure why ours would be different.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
Mortgage_It

ok, i ran the following test...
on a 8130...

without looking at screen i typed:
"lets go to the stripclub"
when i looked up at the screen it showed:
"Let's go to the syrupclub"

anyone else on 8130's care to run this test?
8130 (current)
Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 AM   #13
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage_It View Post
anyone know how to turn off this feature on a 8130 model? thanks.
I'm not sure if it's different. At least on mine, you go to Options > Language > Input Options. From here you can enable all or some aspects of word learning. Hope it helps!

Edit: "mine" refers to the 8100.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeekb View Post
Mine spelled it correctly the very first try so I'm not sure why ours would be different.
That's the thing, and the whole reason for this thread. SureType is fully capable of typing the correct words, but at random times it'll decide to interpret your keystrokes in a really strange manner or suggest COMPLETE nonsense instead. Using that "stripclub" example, I'd bet if you kept using it, at least once every few times it would type it out funny.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
theorangeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post

I believe your problem is the fact that "stripclub" is not a word rather than your Pearl imposing it's moral opinion on you. Try spelling "strip club" correctly and I think you will find that you will get the desired outcome.

Last edited by theorangeman; 12-28-2007 at 10:05 AM..
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #16
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorangeman View Post
I believe your problem is the fact that "stripclub" is not a word rather than your Pearl imposing it's moral opinion on you. Try spelling "strip club" correctly and I think you will find that you will get the desired outcome.
Well SureType COULD (with the option turned on) consider it a compound word and let it go, but chooses not to. Here's another example that I ran into while on the John just now: when typing "still", it will work right MOST of the time. But every so often, it'll say "atill", and "still" isn't included in the list of alternate choices. Last I checked, "still" was a word and "atill" was definitely not.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
theorangeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypwntang View Post
Well SureType COULD (with the option turned on) consider it a compound word and let it go, but chooses not to. Here's another example that I ran into while on the John just now: when typing "still", it will work right MOST of the time. But every so often, it'll say "atill", and "still" isn't included in the list of alternate choices. Last I checked, "still" was a word and "atill" was definitely not.
I understand your point and wasn't trying to minimize the issues that apparently exist with the Pearl. The only point that I was trying to make was that one shouldn't complain about the Pearl giving strange outcome responses when one misspells a word.

Last edited by theorangeman; 12-28-2007 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

I suppose you guys would be mad if Suretype wouldn't let you type "necesary" or "I failed spellling in fith graid."
Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #19
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I suppose you guys would be mad if Suretype wouldn't let you type "necesary" or "I failed spellling in fith graid."
I'm sure you'd be mad if you could could come to grounds with how ignorant you are. We're talking about legitimate words that SureType fails to recognize from time to time.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #20
dirtypwntang

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorangeman View Post
I understand your point and wasn't trying to minimize the issues that apparently exist with the Pearl. The only point that I was trying to make was that one shouldn't complain about the Pearl giving strange outcome responses when one misspells a word.
Definitely agreed. I'm not saying I never screw words up myself, as I certainly do from time to time. But when I'm dealing with a word like "oh" and it insists that it only knows of "ph", that can be rather upsetting.
Closed Thread