BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default OS: 8130 4.3.0.149 / 4.3.0.81 (Alltel)

Please Login to Remove!

The 4.3 device original OS is out for Alltel Pearls, or any 8130 CDMA BlackBerry.

This is not for a 8100 Pearl.

* Applications: 4.3.0.81
* Software Platform: 3.1.0.40
* File name: 8130uEFS_PBr4.3.0_rel149_PL3.1.0.40_A4.3.0.81_Allt el.exe
* File size: 95.6MB

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4

Select Blackberry 8130 from the dropdown and click Next. Then click the "Download" link that appears at the bottom of the page.

Instructions for installing on any CDMA 8130 from any carrier:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager installed. It's 4.2 SP2, or Version 4.3, and can be downloaded Click Here. or from the AllTel site linked above.
2. Download the above file to the PC then install it to the PC by running the file you downloaded.
3. Locate the vendor.xml file and delete it. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
4. Plug in BB and Open Desktop Manager. You should be prompted to upgrade.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."

If you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to DM again and run application loader again and it should load the OS to the device.

Previous version OS is located here.

Last edited by juwaack68; 01-04-2008 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: updated wording
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Thank you, red, this is Stickied.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Redflea

No prob...others found it first, I just cut/paste the standard update from previous announcements.

The download is very s-l-o-w....hope it's worth the wait!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Thanks. I just had to reload my Sprint OS last week. Not having any issues with it, so just might download this one and keep it available until I need it.

Last edited by juwaack68; 01-04-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

If I have an Alltel phone do I still need to remove the vendor.xml file? Do I just allow it to start the DM once the installation is complete?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
mfdavy@davyinc.com

Carrier: Alltel
Default Finding OS

How do find the current OS version? I just picked up my Alltel 8130 yesterday and don't want t go thru an hour download if unnecessary.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

If you already have an Alltel phone, you don't need to delete the vendor.xml file.

To find your OS version, click on the Options icon and then click on About. The version is the 3rd line (or so) down.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdavy@davyinc.com View Post
How do find the current OS version? I just picked up my Alltel 8130 yesterday and don't want t go thru an hour download if unnecessary.
Go to Options>About and it will tell you what the version and platform are.

I just downloaded the update to my Alltel phone, did not delete the vendor.xml file since it's an Alltel phone and OS and had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood). Once I hooked the phone up to the DM, the install took about 5 minutes. I did not have the long waits that people describe above. Could it be that theirs took longer because they weren't installing the update to Alltel phones??
Old 01-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

5 minutes? That doesn't sound right. I've updated many, many phones and they always take a LOT longer than that.

When Desktop Manager started up, did you get a separate dialog box indicating that a new vesion was available and asked you if you wanted to upgrade?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

I started the DM, plugged in my phone and the "updates available" info came up. I agreed to the updates. They were installed, then my phone went into the white screen with hourglass mode for about five minutes - literally.

I was shocked that it happened that quick, so I sent to Options>About to check the version and platform and it shows the latest versions. It was weird, though, because it took just a little longer than it does when I do a battery pull to restart.

I don't believe there was much of anything added to this new OS, just a minor fix. Would that be why it could have been so quick?

One thing I have noticed is that after a battery pull I used to have about 18MB of free space. Now I consistently have 16MB. Does that make sense?

Last edited by livspop; 01-05-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Old 01-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Anybody see any difference from the Sprint os.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Livspop:

The Alltel released OS should be the same as what's on your Alltel Pearl, but I guess there's the possibility that they made some minor tweaks to the OS between releasing the OS to manufacturing and releasing the OS for download. Since the version number is the same, that's what I'd call a "no-no" in SW dev (two diff releases, same version info) but I guess that could have happened. If only a few files were updated, it could go quite quickly.

It certainly isn't five minutes for a "regular" OS update (like when I just applied the .81 Alltel update to my phone running the Sprint .71 version).

Also, did you click the box to backup and then restore your phone during the update?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Livspop:

The Alltel released OS should be the same as what's on your Alltel Pearl, but I guess there's the possibility that they made some minor tweaks to the OS between releasing the OS to manufacturing and releasing the OS for download. Since the version number is the same, that's what I'd call a "no-no" in SW dev (two diff releases, same version info) but I guess that could have happened. If only a few files were updated, it could go quite quickly.

It certainly isn't five minutes for a "regular" OS update (like when I just applied the .81 Alltel update to my phone running the Sprint .71 version).

Also, did you click the box to backup and then restore your phone during the update?
No, I didn't check that box, but everything that was there before was there after, no problems.

My understanding is that there was a fix in this release, although the number was the same, relating to downloading apps to the phone using the Download Manager. Alltel users were reporting that they were getting an error message when trying to dowload apps via PC with the DM. On other forums they're now reporting that downloading this OS has fixed the problem.

I can't speak to that myself because I downloaded everything OTA. I figured I might as well download this, though, in case I wanted to.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

That's not an error related to the OS that they were getting...you can't download ANY apps to a BB w/out the OS for that BB installed on the PC along w/DM. So until Alltel released the OS, the error that was showing up when they tried to use DM to install apps is just a poorly worded message that should (but does not) say that the device OS must be installed on the PC to load apps via USB.

So that's why Alltel folks can load apps via USB now...

I'm thinking that nothing was updated, or something was updated that wasn't releated to the OS...the fact that you didn't do a device backup/restore indicates that you didn't get a "real" OS update, as I'd expect.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

That's not an error related to the OS that they were getting...you can't download ANY apps to a BB w/out the OS for that BB installed on the PC along w/DM. So until Alltel released the OS, the error that was showing up when they tried to use DM to install apps is just a poorly worded message that should (but does not) say that the device OS must be installed on the PC to load apps via USB.

So that's why Alltel folks can load apps via USB now...

I'm thinking that nothing was updated, or something was updated that wasn't releated to the OS...the fact that you didn't do a device backup/restore indicates that you didn't get a "real" OS update, as I'd expect.
OK, that makes perfect sense. Atleast I hope I didn't do any damage by "updating." Except that I seem to have 2MB less of free memory than I did before, which I'm not getting back. I can't figure that one out....
Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
SQFreak

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Pearl 8130: BlackBerry8130/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

It probably installed some RIM apps that aren't factory-installed. My VZW phone did the same thing when I first installed the .60 OS on my computer and then connected my BB.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #17
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

anyone know of any updates in this OS over previous versions?
Old 01-05-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by livspop View Post
OK, that makes perfect sense. Atleast I hope I didn't do any damage by "updating." Except that I seem to have 2MB less of free memory than I did before, which I'm not getting back. I can't figure that one out....
livspop,
All that happened is you loaded something new to your device that wasn't there before. The OS is the same as what you already had, you just added some app. The subsequent screen would have told you what the module was that was going to be added (or removed) from the device. You didn't update your OS. You simply added something to it from the OS installation package.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
Redflea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
anyone know of any updates in this OS over previous versions?
RIM doesn't provide release notes, I think primarily because they know it makes me crazy not knowing even a little bit about what's changed... ;)
Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #20
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
livspop,
All that happened is you loaded something new to your device that wasn't there before. The OS is the same as what you already had, you just added some app. The subsequent screen would have told you what the module was that was going to be added (or removed) from the device. You didn't update your OS. You simply added something to it from the OS installation package.
Would it possibly have been the Semitic and Russian Characters and Font support? Can I delete those from the application list? I don't remember them being there before.
Closed Thread