Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
jpfchicago
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: IP5
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Playbook observations

Please Login to Remove!

I bought 2 of them on Friday and will be returning them today.

It's a beautiful piece of hardware but there is just too much effort being spent to make it work. The screen is great, the existing software is half baked and I noticed the battery level was running a little low after an hour. If you ask me, I think this tablet was rushed to market. I will continue doing working with my BB only.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #22
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfchicago View Post
I bought 2 of them on Friday and will be returning them today.

It's a beautiful piece of hardware but there is just too much effort being spent to make it work. The screen is great, the existing software is half baked and I noticed the battery level was running a little low after an hour. If you ask me, I think this tablet was rushed to market. I will continue doing working with my BB only.
If I may ask....Too much effort to make it work? What does that mean?

Software half-baked. What does that mean?

Can you be a bit more detailed?

I will also say that anyone purchasing a brand new product has to understand there will be bumps in the road. It is kind of sad, but I expected to see issues with both hardware and software and I am pleasantly surprised there hasn't been more issues.

RIM has released something they have never made before using an operating system they have never used before. Truthfully, did you really expect it to be 100% right out of the gate?

This kind of a release is not for everyone and I am actually surprised I jumped in and have stayed with it so far. I have had a few issues that I have worked through and one that probably needs a software update and I will wait.

Usually I am one to lay back and wait for the second or third generation of anything, but not this time. I also bought it as a toy so my business is not reliant on it and it is not mission-critical and if anyone bought it expecting 100% out of the box day one I guess I can understand frustration, but I don't think they were being realistic.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #23
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
If I may ask....Too much effort to make it work? What does that mean?

Software half-baked. What does that mean?

Can you be a bit more detailed?

I will also say that anyone purchasing a brand new product has to understand there will be bumps in the road. It is kind of sad, but I expected to see issues with both hardware and software and I am pleasantly surprised there hasn't been more issues.

RIM has released something they have never made before using an operating system they have never used before. Truthfully, did you really expect it to be 100% right out of the gate?

This kind of a release is not for everyone and I am actually surprised I jumped in and have stayed with it so far. I have had a few issues that I have worked through and one that probably needs a software update and I will wait.

Usually I am one to lay back and wait for the second or third generation of anything, but not this time. I also bought it as a toy so my business is not reliant on it and it is not mission-critical and if anyone bought it expecting 100% out of the box day one I guess I can understand frustration, but I don't think they were being realistic.
i agree with you but to be honest Rim dropped the ball on this OS i feel that it can be a great OS if it was not rushed; bumps i think they hit a few NYC pot holes lol in the next few weeks and month i think the playbook will be up and running full speed and most likely i will go back and get it again.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #24
Robert_K
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Quote:
RIM has released something they have never made before using an operating system they have never used before. Truthfully, did you really expect it to be 100% right out of the gate?.
Yeah.. who did you think they are? Apple?

(for the record.. I'm not an Apple owner or user but you have to admit, their products are very well refined and easy to use when they launch them.)
Old 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #25
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Robert, if you aren't an Apple user maybe you should troll their boards. Believe it or not they do not get everything 100% the first try.

I know the press would have you think that, but it isn't true.

Yes, they do make beautiful hardware and they have a PR machine like nobody else.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Fido (BIS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL View Post
We got our first two we ordered from Rogers in today. Will be ordering another two on Tuesday.

Pros:
-Very fast
-PIM access over the Bridge works very well! Interface is very nice.
-Flash video playback is excellent
-Web browsing is very fast/smooth
-Switching between applications is great. Very smooth experience
-Can use the Bridge browser to access anything on my network at the office through MDS. Can check the toner levels on the printers, login to the AP to check wireless stats/make changes, login to the router, access Sharepoint...etc.

Cons:
-Bridge took a number of times to get setup with my 9780. The process must have failed at least four times.
-Cannot access any of my photos/videos through the Bridge file browser. I can access the SDcard on my 9780 and see the folders, but perhaps it is the content encryption being enabled, but none of the media files are visible.
-Would like to be able to see/use BBM through the bridge. But that feature is obviously not available (yet?). Same goes for SMS.
-No SSH client to access my Cisco gear yet. Hopefully BBSSH gets ported.

That's all I can think of for the moment. Will add to these lists as I go.

These remarks basically mirror my own. Overall, I am quite happy with it so far. With further updates, I expect it will only get better. I intend to stick with it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #27
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Yeah.. who did you think they are? Apple?

(for the record.. I'm not an Apple owner or user but you have to admit, their products are very well refined and easy to use when they launch them.)
I've been an Apple user since 1990 and I can say first-hand that they definitely DO NOT get everything right straight out of the box! I love their stuff and they do eventually get it right, and they make some of the slickest kit out there, but buying a 1st generation anything from Apple is like playing Russian Roulette.

PlayBook has been out what, a week? How about we give them a chance for a couple apps and maybe even a software update before we declare this tablet DOA, hmm? This is one HELL of a first effort. The OS runs smoothly and lag-free. I had no trouble pairing my 9650 with the demo PlayBook at Staples and using it for a solid hour last weekend. It's exactly what RIMM said it would be. I'm still on the fence about getting one as I already have a couple Kindle's and an iPad. But the more I think about it the more I'm probably going to grab one.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #28
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I've been an Apple user since 1990 and I can say first-hand that they definitely DO NOT get everything right straight out of the box! I love their stuff and they do eventually get it right, and they make some of the slickest kit out there, but buying a 1st generation anything from Apple is like playing Russian Roulette.

PlayBook has been out what, a week? How about we give them a chance for a couple apps and maybe even a software update before we declare this tablet DOA, hmm? This is one HELL of a first effort. The OS runs smoothly and lag-free. I had no trouble pairing my 9650 with the demo PlayBook at Staples and using it for a solid hour last weekend. It's exactly what RIMM said it would be. I'm still on the fence about getting one as I already have a couple Kindle's and an iPad. But the more I think about it the more I'm probably going to grab one.
for those that know it takes Apple two trys and about 10 years to get things right:

1. Servers - this is Apples 3rd try at this, one with Microsoft, another with IBM AIX
2. metal body enclosure laptops. I still have the original model TiBook. took Apple some years to realize painting metal was not a good idea; 10 years in fact.
3. Ipad is a next generation Newton, through and through. they even hired the original designer product manager for it back!!

I'm with Drugstore cowboy, fellow hofo member (prom1 here), ill stick with playbook for another 6 mths minimum giving the developera the same time frame after sdk beta comes out next month.

love the pictures tranitions.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
OVERKILL
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

We've got three now, fourth coming this week. Guys are quite happy with them at this point. Love the speed!
Blackberry user since 2001.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #30
jabxyz

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I thought that I'd ask this here and I hope that isn't a thread hijack. For those of you who have now bought the Playbook and have worked with it a while, some advice to an on the fence guy. My gear buying decisions are usually purpose driven. I have my BBs one personal and one for work. I have an HP netbook which is personal but I can do work on it, as I refuse to place the behemoth desktop replacement laptop that I was issued by my office in my carry on for business trips. My question, what would I be getting out of a Playbook, in terms of apps or capabilities, that I am not currently getting out of a netbook with a screen of the same size. It seems to me that if there is something that I can do on a Playbook, or something that I can do on a Playbook better than I can on a netbook then it makes sense to grab up a Playbook when the stars line up right and the bugs are all worked out. Any advice or observations in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
Robert_K

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
For the most part I'm being playful. I don't necessarily declare it DOA but at the same time it seems like everything RIM makes is a work in progress. I've yet to own a RIM device that didn't have atleast 2 bugs regardless of the OS I updated it too. Most of the time they patch one issue and unknowingly create 2 more. RIM really needs to work on the culture of their development team.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #32
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabxyz View Post
I thought that I'd ask this here and I hope that isn't a thread hijack. For those of you who have now bought the Playbook and have worked with it a while, some advice to an on the fence guy. My gear buying decisions are usually purpose driven. I have my BBs one personal and one for work. I have an HP netbook which is personal but I can do work on it, as I refuse to place the behemoth desktop replacement laptop that I was issued by my office in my carry on for business trips. My question, what would I be getting out of a Playbook, in terms of apps or capabilities, that I am not currently getting out of a netbook with a screen of the same size. It seems to me that if there is something that I can do on a Playbook, or something that I can do on a Playbook better than I can on a netbook then it makes sense to grab up a Playbook when the stars line up right and the bugs are all worked out. Any advice or observations in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks.
My guess is you probably want to wait.

I am somewhat in your situation. I have been carrying a 10" WinXP netbook on travel. I am always trying to minimize what i carry, and I was hoping the PlayBook would take the netbook's place. For what I do, with Adobe Reader and the Doc's to Go apps on the PlayBook, I am going to try leaving the netbook home and see how it goes. But I know it is an experiment that may not work out. I want it to work, though, and I am going to suffer the learning curve and the PlayBook's current shortcomings as much as i can stand.

I do not believe there is anything you can do on the PlayBook that you cannot do on your netbook, with the exception of bridge to your BlackBerry. But the Bridge could be the feature that sells you on the PlayBook.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-26-2011 at 06:38 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #33
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I must say, I am quite impressed thus far with my Playbook. I dug up an old BT keyboard that is at least 2 years old (Think Outside Keyboard - Dell branded) which didn't work with most new devices (no driver support for it anymore). However, I thought I'd give it a quick try with the Playbook, and, wouldn't you know it, it paired flawlessly on the first try! The Playbook knew exactly what keyboard it was, and now it works like a charm! I am impressed...

Now, a quick question to you all. Will the battery charge while the device is powered down completely? It may seem like a dumb question, but I tried charging it while off and it didn't charge. It is charging while powered on. Any thoughts on this?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #34
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I have read on the beta forums that the device will not charged when powered off.

weird.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #35
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

The Playbook will not charge while the device is off.

Pg 28 PlayBook User guide.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #36
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Default Re: Playbook First Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
What version of the OS are you running on the 9700.

Funny how some people think it is a business tablet; others think it is aimed at consumers.
It's clearly aimed at both.

Well unless you're in the business of developing racing games.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #37
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
The Playbook will not charge while the device is off.

Pg 28 PlayBook User guide.
Thanks very much for this. I confirmed this morning with RIM Support over the phone. If that's how they set it up, then I'm fine with it. My device charges fine that way. It just seemed to be a bit odd to me at first.

It's all good now...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #38
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drug$toreCowboy View Post
Thanks very much for this. I confirmed this morning with RIM Support over the phone. If that's how they set it up, then I'm fine with it. My device charges fine that way. It just seemed to be a bit odd to me at first.

It's all good now...
What happens if the device runs out of batteries? Or does it always have a reserve charge to turn on even if the battery is empty?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #39
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

When I plug mine in it starts automatically so I am going to guess there is enough charge to start and then perhaps feed off the charging device. Maybe that is why it requires a more powerful charger too.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #40
Drug$toreCowboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
When I plug mine in it starts automatically so I am going to guess there is enough charge to start and then perhaps feed off the charging device. Maybe that is why it requires a more powerful charger too.
This is exactly what RIM Support told me over the phone today, so you are definitely correct.
Closed Thread