Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 812-
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SunCom
Default 8120 crashes when connecting to wifi

Please Login to Remove!

My new Blackberry pearl 8120 connects properly to my Linksys wrt54g router (protected by MAC address for testing).

It will not connect to a Linksys WAP11 using the same security setup. Tries to establish a connection, but fails.

Now, I've visited a local restaurant with an open hotspot using a Linksys WRT100. Going through the 'set up new wifi connection' process on the pearl, the BB crashed upon attempting to make the connection. By crash, I mean the BB showed that it was trying to establish the connection, then the screen went black, the LED blinked Red several times, then some seconds later, it began to reboot.

What the heck?

OK, so I checked to see if the BB needed a hard reset with the pull battery, reinsert process (why not an on/off slider on the device for this?). Same behavior. Three times in a row.

I took the BB home, and it instantly was able to surf off of my wifi network.

How do I contact RIM to tell them about this behavior and potential bug in their OS?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

make sure you're using the latest available OS for the device. You can find it in the stickys at the top of the 8100 forum.

There are some types of routers that will reboot the device. I had an old wirelessB Linksys router that did this to my 8320. Also, many N type routers will reboot the device.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #3
jopfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-mobile

After a lot of research it turned out to be a BLUETOOTH incompatibility problem with UMA. As soon as I disabled any bluetooth connections UMA worked perfectly. I have reported it to RIM. I am using 8120 version 4.3.0.105

jim
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
make sure you're using the latest available OS for the device. You can find it in the stickys at the top of the 8100 forum.

There are some types of routers that will reboot the device. I had an old wirelessB Linksys router that did this to my 8320. Also, many N type routers will reboot the device.
John,

Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm near a SunCom store and have a spare hour out of my workday to do that. I'm on a Mac, and RIM doesn't have a desktop manager for Macs, nor can the BB download and install the update on its own.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
John,

Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm near a SunCom store and have a spare hour out of my workday to do that. I'm on a Mac, and RIM doesn't have a desktop manager for Macs, nor can the BB download and install the update on its own.
If its an Intel CPU based Mac ... then enable Boot Camp and if you have WinXP Pro lying around use that to install. Select dual boot upon completing install (yes WinXP will install in almost half an hour compared to the full hour on a PC). Then install BBDM manager & download & install the firmware you need. Sure its sounds like a LONG process ... but you'll learn a few cool things and you'll be able to help yourself out in the future (along with BBForums ;) ). But the store can help you out.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
If its an Intel CPU based Mac ... then enable Boot Camp and if you have WinXP Pro lying around use that to install. Select dual boot upon completing install (yes WinXP will install in almost half an hour compared to the full hour on a PC). Then install BBDM manager & download & install the firmware you need. Sure its sounds like a LONG process ... but you'll learn a few cool things and you'll be able to help yourself out in the future (along with BBForums ;) ). But the store can help you out.
Thanks. Sadly, this is a PowerPC Powerbook. However, I'd also have to buy Win XP as well as get Bootcamp running. I've no doubt WinXP will run fine on an Intel box, as I know a number of folks very happy with Parallels running XP Pro, Vista, ME, 98 and Ubuntu.

But not for this Mac. With a lack of news coming out of RIM re a Mac DM, I suppose I should have waited for the 3rd gen iPhone and been done with this :( Now, my carrier is reneg'ing on a billing policy they promised would work as I requested. Are all of these companies full of it?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
Thanks. Sadly, this is a PowerPC Powerbook. However, I'd also have to buy Win XP as well as get Bootcamp running. I've no doubt WinXP will run fine on an Intel box, as I know a number of folks very happy with Parallels running XP Pro, Vista, ME, 98 and Ubuntu.

But not for this Mac. With a lack of news coming out of RIM re a Mac DM, I suppose I should have waited for the 3rd gen iPhone and been done with this :( Now, my carrier is reneg'ing on a billing policy they promised would work as I requested. Are all of these companies full of it?
The PPC Powerbook is fine - I too wished for an OS X native BBDM (sales of the Mac have consistently increased steadily over the year & significant enough that they should make a BBDM for the make).

I'd suggest giving the 8120 another chance with a "NEW" model. First call back SunCom (or your provider whomever they are) ... tell them of the last call you made was NOT helpful; and renegg on their contract that they would OTHERWISE hold YOU too (I just went through this 3 times with my provider), and make sure you begin by speaking to retentions! Not a floor manager or supervisor or jsut a "floor" walker (someone experienced or smart enough to get off the phones hehe). Explain politely and assuredly and tactfully explaining the facts.

IF they STILL don't budge ... then politely and intelligently tell them that their contract is NULL & Void (if within ur 30days) and inform them that you'll goto another provider. Just make sure before you call their bluff that you'll get fine coverage with said provider # 2.
Closed Thread