Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
OMGRegistrationwashard

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Newbie to the Smartphone world

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I just bought a BB 9810. I'm worried about clicking or downloading apps that will cost me money. Is there anywhere that might tell me which ones are free? Also, I did click on games and downloaded Bejeweled, I think, but when I now click on Bejeweled all I get is a white screen. I've waited up to about 2 minutes for something to show up but still only white. Am I doing something wrong? Just one more thing really. I choose some icons to hide but all it did was grey them out. Is that standard and certainly doesn't seem like hiding to me? Thanks for any help to this 'older but trying' new user.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
BBThemesX

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Re: Newbie to the Smartphone world

Have you downloaded these apps from BB app world? You must have downloaded it OTA and the game might not support OS 7. My terms might be a bit complicated but I can clarify if you ask me to
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

You may have some Apps that come with the BB and depending on the carrier you can have different ones. Most are trials and require some registration to go past a limited time. The easies thing is to go to Blackberry Appworld and check out the apps. Some are free and some cost. You will need to sign up to use it from the BB but can browse easy via a PC. Once you find what you want then you can go directly after signing in and download the app.

BlackBerry - App World - Official Store for BlackBerry Apps
Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGRegistrationwashard View Post
Is there anywhere that might tell me which ones are free?
The best source of applications for BlackBerry is the BlackBerry App World. The icon looks like a charcoal gray circle with the same logo as the back of your phone. It's very upfront with which apps are free and which are not. Many also have try-and-buy set ups where you can trial them before you pay for them. Those are well-labeled, too. Also, dependent on carrier, should you choose to pay, you can pay for them on your cell phone bill, as opposed to providing a credit card number.

Quote:
Also, I did click on games and downloaded Bejeweled, I think, but when I now click on Bejeweled all I get is a white screen. I've waited up to about 2 minutes for something to show up but still only white. Am I doing something wrong?
Bejeweled is traditionally provided as a "virtual preload". That is a fancy way of saying "an icon that LOOKS like the game, but is really just a download page". The idea is that they can offer it to you without it taking up space on your phone. If it is just a white screen, the download page probably didn't come up right, and you didn't download it, much less pay for it.

Quote:
Just one more thing really. I choose some icons to hide but all it did was grey them out. Is that standard and certainly doesn't seem like hiding to me? Thanks for any help to this 'older but trying' new user.
You have "Show All" mode turned ON. What that means is, well, that. It is showing everything, even things that are set to be hidden. That way, if you hid something and want it back, you know where to find it and can unhide it. If you hit the Menu key, the key directly to the right of the Call key and to the left of the trackpad, and scroll to Show All, you can take it out of Show All mode and the greyed icons will vanish.

In conclusion, welcome to the ranks! Enjoy your new phone.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
OMGRegistrationwashard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBThemesX View Post
Have you downloaded these apps from BB app world? You must have downloaded it OTA and the game might not support OS 7. My terms might be a bit complicated but I can clarify if you ask me to
Umm, about the only acronym I'm not sure of is OTA. Would that be On The Airwaves?? LOL, just kidding on the guess but would like to know what they stand for and Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
OMGRegistrationwashard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBThemesX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duane534 View Post
The best source of applications for BlackBerry is the BlackBerry App World. The icon looks like a charcoal gray circle with the same logo as the back of your phone. It's very upfront with which apps are free and which are not. Many also have try-and-buy set ups where you can trial them before you pay for them. Those are well-labeled, too. Also, dependent on carrier, should you choose to pay, you can pay for them on your cell phone bill, as opposed to providing a credit card number.

Bejeweled is traditionally provided as a "virtual preload". That is a fancy way of saying "an icon that LOOKS like the game, but is really just a download page". The idea is that they can offer it to you without it taking up space on your phone. If it is just a white screen, the download page probably didn't come up right, and you didn't download it, much less pay for it.

You have "Show All" mode turned ON. What that means is, well, that. It is showing everything, even things that are set to be hidden. That way, if you hid something and want it back, you know where to find it and can unhide it. If you hit the Menu key, the key directly to the right of the Call key and to the left of the trackpad, and scroll to Show All, you can take it out of Show All mode and the greyed icons will vanish.

In conclusion, welcome to the ranks! Enjoy your new phone.
Thanks for all the info. Learning this phone is going to be like learning Windows7. I'll definitely go turn off Show All. Seems kind of counterproductive to have the ability to hide something but it doesn't hide. But who am I to say.
Closed Thread