Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
inkwell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Verizon (Fios Services)

Please Login to Remove!

I just got Verizon and Emails work fine, Text work fine, whenever I make a call it rings, once the person picks up they say hello then it disconnects, if they call me, the same thing happens. Previous service was Comcast. Does anyone have a solution? I read this somewhere, does it apply (but I don't know what it all means)?:

Routers

Something about my setup that you might want to know: I left the D-Link router in place, just as Verizon installed it. I don't, though, connect my computers directly to it, but instead use an additional router. I took my Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router and unplugged the connection to the cable modem. (For now, the cable modem is switched to be connected to another router and provides open WiFi to guests in my home and serves as a backup.) I connected one of the LAN jacks on the D-Link not to a personal computer but rather to a cable that goes to the WAN jack of the Linksys (using the cable from the basement to the 3rd floor). I didn't need to make any changes to the Linksys settings: I have it request a DHCP address from the D-Link just as it did to Comcast through the cable modem. The D-Link uses IP addresses inside my house that start with 192.168.0.? and the Linksys uses 192.168.1.?, so I can easily get to the D-Link settings page from browsers running on PCs connected to the Linksys without any confusion or special settings. Since I already had a wireless router this saved me from needing to pay the extra money for one from Verizon or needing to locate the Verizon-provided router out of the basement in a more WiFi-friendly place. I also am not as concerned as some seem to be about Verizon having access to a router protecting my local network (if they recommend upgrades and you need to download new firmware with unknown capabilities) -- I have another router blocking things after it. I've seen with Verizon DSL that they like to "help" you with special software on your PC, etc., that may (or may not) be helpful to non-techies but I'd rather have more control myself over my configuration. I can always run a PC directly connected to the D-Link for diagnostic purposes if they need it. The D-Link connects by PPPoE and needs to be set up differently (it is similar to DSL setups, as I wrote before). Apparently, the back-to-back routers don't seem to slow things down much, since I'm getting the full speed they specify from Verizon.

I understand that some users disconnect the D-Link router (and save it -- it comes bundled with the installation) and connect their own router. For example, some people have Linksys units with wireless that they find to have stronger signals in their homes than the D-Link. Apparently using other routers (connecting using PPPoE) works. However, as I understand it, that practice is not officially supported by Verizon which claims to use special diagnostic software in the routers. (From their FAQ: "Your router also contains special diagnostic software that can help us trouble-shoot and correct problems should you experience trouble with your Internet Service. You will need to use the Verizon router with your FiOS Internet service.")
Old 11-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:38 PM..
Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I'm not quite clear if you pasted in text from somewhere else or are describing your setup. What router are you using to connect the phone?

My Fios setup has an Actiontec modem/wireless router all in one. My phone (before it crashed) didn't play so nicely with that router, so I used a Linksys WRT54GS behind it. Once I upgraded to OS 4.2.2.180, it was pretty stable. I also found it worked best with just WEP security instead of WPA. With WPA it was a questionable connection. Seemed to work on .180, but before that I couldn't get a connection with WPA security to work.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
inkwell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not using Bluetooth at all.

Sorry about the confusion Monkeypaw, but your description and example is dead on to the problem I am having. the text below "router" is something I copied and pasted as a possible solution. After doing some research on other boards, it appears that what you did is the only way for my service to work again. Current router is Fios router, I have another that I was using that worked and will try to piggy back the two.

I found some helpful tips here:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - @ Home / Verizon FiOS modem / router

Luigi

Last edited by inkwell; 11-27-2007 at 08:06 AM..
Old 12-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
acronator

Default UMA on Verizon FIOS Actiontec

I have the same problem. Have Verizon FIOS with Actiontec MI242WR. On my T-Mobile Blackberry Curve I get a steady UMA connection and the Wifi connection works just fine. However when I make a call when I am on UMA the other phone rings (I called my other mobile phone) but the call and UMA connection both get disconnected once the receiver picks up the phone.

I tried a bunch of settings on the router like adding Port Forwarding for the Blackberry on IPSec, etc. Nothing works till now. The Actiontec is darn pain in the neck to configure but am assuming there is a way since it lets you control everything.

Does anyone have a solution that does not involve piggybacking another router onto the Actiontec?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by acronator View Post
I have the same problem. Have Verizon FIOS with Actiontec MI242WR. On my T-Mobile Blackberry Curve I get a steady UMA connection and the Wifi connection works just fine. However when I make a call when I am on UMA the other phone rings (I called my other mobile phone) but the call and UMA connection both get disconnected once the receiver picks up the phone.

I tried a bunch of settings on the router like adding Port Forwarding for the Blackberry on IPSec, etc. Nothing works till now. The Actiontec is darn pain in the neck to configure but am assuming there is a way since it lets you control everything.

Does anyone have a solution that does not involve piggybacking another router onto the Actiontec?
Mine actually works on the Actiontec well enough that I unplugged the Linksys. Here's are my settings. No science to it, I just tried a bunch of things all at once and it's ok. So can't pin down the ones that really make the difference. I think the main improvement is I got a warranty exchange when my phone fried. This phone seemed way better on UMA from the start.

8320 running 4.2.2.184. 4.2.2.180 seemed to be ok as well, but connecting took coaxing. Now my phone only has problems with some hotel routers.

Router:
Channel 3
WEP 128-bit password
SSID Broadcast Enabled (Seemed ok on disabled as well)
MAC Authentication
Under QoS, Traffic Priority: my Linksys router, VOIP box, and 8320 all are set to Priority 6
No other QoS settings changed

I don't think I changed anything else. No port forwarding or things like that. However I do note than in Port Triggering under Remote Administration, there are 2 settings that I may have messed with. They don't quite look familiar, but who knows. Here they are:

L2TP Triggering - Layer Two Tunneling Protocol
UDP Any -> 1701 UDP Any -> Same as Initiating
TFTP Triggering - Trivial File Transfer Protocol
UDP 1024-65535 -> 69 UDP Any -> Same as Initiating

If I did add them, they were added by me trying to add UDP priority. But they might be something already there. They may be related to my VOIP box as well.

Edit: I can use my Motorola H700 headset with no problems. I just tried a call using bluetooth to my VOIP line and it sounds great. That's with having Fidelity Activetrader with streaming quotes running on my computer. I have just the basic bandwidth plan from Fios. That should have been a high demand connection, but I can drop the handset next to the tv, have a lot of 2-way info going and it'll stay connected. I think I got it to 20 minutes one time on a test before I got bored.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 12-12-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Old 12-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
inkwell
Thumbs Must Hurt

So far that seems to be the only solution and even than I am still having problems. I need to find time to configure the second router:

BEACON = 50

FRAGMENTATION THRESHOLD = 2304

RTS THRESHOLD = 2304

CHANNEL = 3
Old 12-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
acronator

Thanks monkeypaw. My curve is currently on 4.2.2.180.

I reset the router to default settings and made changes to reflect the following:

Wireless
Wireless: ON
128-BIT WEP: ON
Channel: 3
SSID Broadcast: Enabled
MAC Authentication: Enabled (Accepts all listed devices. I added the Mac IDs of the Blackberry and other computers)
Wireless Mode: Mixed accepts 802.11b and 802.11g connections

QoS
Under QoS Traffic Priority, I set the 8320 to Priority 6 (Input and Output)

Port Triggering
The following Port Triggering rules are default on the Actiontec so these are not settings you made:
L2TP Triggering - Layer Two Tunneling Protocol
UDP Any -> 1701 UDP Any -> Same as Initiating
TFTP Triggering - Trivial File Transfer Protocol
UDP 1024-65535 -> 69 UDP Any -> Same as Initiating

Getting a good UMA connection but it disconnects 2 seconds into a call .

I am thinking there must be some other setting I am missing. If you could check your router and let me know I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
monkeypaw

I don't think I even opened the other option windows. Other settings/info:

Firmware Version: 4.0.16.1.45.160
MTU: Automatic - showing 1500
Beacon Interval: 100 ms
DTIM Interval: 1 ms
Fragmentation Threshold: 2346 (I'm going to try 2304)
RTS Threshold: 2347 (I'm going to try 2304)

Firewall General: set to typical (Medium)

My ip addresses are set to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

That's about all I can see. Most other stuff is set to auto or blank.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
acronator

Mine has firmware version 4.0.16.1.55.0.10.4.3

Set the following:
BEACON = 50
FRAGMENTATION THRESHOLD = 2304
RTS THRESHOLD = 2304

No luck. Issue continues.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
monkeypaw

My first phone would work sometimes with this router but would reboot at times. Basically it was kind of flaky, but ok with the Linksys. Also the router itself rebooted once. I think there was just something in the hardware early on in the 8320s.

Only other things to maybe try are temporarily going without wireless security to see if that does anything. I think my phone hates WPA but I haven't tried that a lot. Edit: Tried WPA and 3 minutes into the call the router rebooted. WEP seems ok.

Then maybe upgrading to 4.2.2.184.

Other than that, maybe a warranty exchange. The old owner of my refurb phone must have used the trackball a ton and the phone key a ton because those are somewhat dead feeling instead of snappy. Kind of annoys me, but at least my UMA is very good.

Last edited by monkeypaw; 12-12-2007 at 09:21 PM..
Old 03-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
jlicc326

I got my wi-fi/UMA calls to stop dropping on my Verizon FIOS Actiontek router by:

1. Using a fixed IP address on my 8830 handheld on my home network. This enabled me to add firewall rules on the ActionTek specifically for that IP address.
2. Going into the firewall settings on the Actiontek and adding explicit rules under Advance Filtering for the 8830's IP address so as to accept "Any" inbound protocol to the 8830 and accept ANY outbound protocol from the 8830. I added these rules under the Inbound Wireless Access Point rules section as well as the Outbound Wireless Access Point rules section. I also added the same rule under the Inbound Broadband Connection (Coax) and (Ethernet) section of the Advanced Filtering page.

It didn't work immediately. The UMA icon did not appear immediately. However, the next day, when I happened to look at the 8830, the WI-FI and UMA icons were both present and I was able to place calls without getting disconnected any more. I'm assuming that sometime after I made the firewall changes, the T-Mobile network was able to UMA-connect to my 8830 when I wasn't looking, and nailed up the connection and is keeping it up while I am at home.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
roberthuss

Default Same problem..

Hi Guys...

I am having the same problem... Calls drop after 2 seconds when trying to connect through the Verizon Actiontec router.

Has anyone figured out what the settings should be?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
roberthuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlicc326 View Post
1. Using a fixed IP address on my 8830 handheld on my home network. This enabled me to add firewall rules on the ActionTek specifically for that IP address..
How did you do that??
Old 03-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
jlicc326

Default Fixed IP address on T-Mobile BlackBerry Curve W/Wi-Fi

In 8830 home screen, select Manage Connections icon.

Select Wi-Fi Options
Select your home Wi-Fi network (if it's already in the list. If not, go to Set-up Wi-Fi Network and scan for it).
Press the trackball and a menu pops up (Save/View/Edit/Wi-Fi Diagnostics/Full Menu).
Select Edit
Scroll down to where you see the Checkbox for "Automatically obtain IP address and DNS"
If already checked, uncheck it.
Enter the fixed IP adress you want to use. It should be an IP address on your home Wi-Fi network that's not already in use.
In my case, my home network addressing starts at 192.168.1.1 (the Verizon Router's address), and goes up from there. I have about 10 address already used on the network so I input 192.168.1.11 for my phone.
Input 255.255.255.0 for the network mask.
Input 192.168.1.1 for the default gateway (this is my verizon router's address - yours may be different)
Save the settings. That should do it. That's how to configure the phone to use a fixed IP on a given Wi-Fi network profile.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
roberthuss

Okay, I made those changes, and it is showing the name of my network on the top of the screen, but my phone won't connect to UMA now.

I now have the following settings on the phone...

I unchecked Automatically obtain IP address and DNS

IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (which is where it connects on the network)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS: (blank)
Secondary DNS: (blank)
Default gateway address: 192.168.1.1
Domain suffix: (blank)

Is that correct?

I used to connect to UMA but it wouldn't stay connected when I made a call. Now, it just shows EDGE on the screen and doesn't even switch to UMA, although the network name is showing on the top of my screen.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
roberthuss

My wifi connection is showing green, but it still doesn't connect to UMA. I have done a hard and soft reset of the phone. Still no luck. Any ideas why?
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
bnrosman

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMOBILE

Upgrade to release 4.5 OS of the curve. It was release last month.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #19
MrD

Model: 9000

Are any of you attempting to connect to a wireless network with the PSK security (WPA) in place?

I have actually copy/pasted in my key and get the following message:

Wi-Fi
Current Profile:
SSID:
AP MAC Address:
Security Type: Pre-Shared Key (PSK)
Local IP Address:
Signal Level:
Connection Data Rate:
Status: Security credentials are not sufficient to complete connection.

I did some searching here and came across this topic and as I am on Fios, am curious to see what others are using here. I also searched the Blackberry TS site and see that WPA-PSK with AES or TKIP is supported. I'm got my network secured with TKIP at this point in time.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #20
MrD

Model: 9000
Default WiFi Security

Ok, I happened to update my Bold's OS and re-ran the wifi wizard and received a more detailed error message (woo hoo).

My router's WPA-PSK (TKIP) key was 64 characters long. The Bold was expecting 63. Once I changed my router to use AES, generated a new key and added it to the Blackberry, I was off and running.

Last edited by MrD; 11-12-2008 at 11:18 AM..
Closed Thread