Mine is working just fine

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 10-13-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Glad I switched to 5.8Ghz phones a few years ago.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #23
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

So do I need to get rid of the 2.4 ghz phone or just move it as far from the router as possible? Just read some articles online that say that 2.8 ghz phones totally screw up wireless internet. It looks like I may need a new phone to my wireless works like it's supposed to.

I also read that some of the 5.8ghz phones use 2.4 ghz from the phone to the base? But they use 5.8 from the base to the phone? How can I know if I have a "full" 5.8 ghz phone.

And what phones do you guys recommend that are cheap? Just the basic phone, nothing fancy, I rarely use my land line for calls.

Last edited by USNAVY; 10-14-2007 at 12:17 AM..
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #24
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Old 10-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #25
flamerbeastie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N\A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbloch View Post
I have tried everything- Using the T-Mobile LinkSys router. Even got rid of all my 2.4GHz cordless phones in the house and switched to 5.8GHz

Stays on UMA for long periods and then kicks off back to EDGE.

When it kicks off to EDGE have difficult time getting system to find UMA signal again.

Support had known issue with people who had previous BB but this is a new Curve8320.

Tech support has had me do a complete wipe 3 different times….no help????

Anyone have a suggestion?

Are you using Bluetooth? It seems that there are known issues with interference with the WiFi and Bluetooth spectrums. This was discussed a TON over HERE. This is the only issue I have had with UMA, and I was having similar symptoms to yours. Just a suggestion......

Verizon Wireless BIS. Tour 9630. v4.7.1.40
Old 10-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #26
USNAVY
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have my bt headset configured but not actively connected. So it shouldn't be causing any problems. I have yet to try BT if I'm connected via UMA. Mostly because I so rarely have UMA status I haven't had a chance to try lol.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
I had a similar situation. No issues with UMA for 10 days, then I updated my Linksys WRT54GS to DD-WRT and switched both my wireless routers (other router is Verizon Fios supplied) to WPA security from WEP. Fine for a couple hours, then the service got spotty.

Then I could get no UMA connection for hours on either router. Error:
J0013.4 - Failed to connect. Location unknown.

Or less often:
W006.2 - ISP or T-Mobile network error
W005.1 - ISP error. Retry

Connection to BlackBerry was fine so I could browse the internet and get emails, but no voice service. I added my address to the 911 info on Tmobile and still no change. Finally went to sleep and woke up to perfect UMA again.

Since the only change on the Fios router was the WEP to WPA security change, I'm starting to wonder if that's not part of the problem. Of course it might have taken some time for the 911 info addition to take on Tmobile's side or they might have had some network outage.
Update on my situation. I should also note I've used a bluetooth headset with no problem and have a cordless phone that uses 5.8Ghz on the ear piece or mouthpiece and 2.4Ghz on the other. No interference problems calling from my cordless phone to my cell on UMA using the bluetooth headset.

While I thought I had good UMA yesterday on my Linksys, it must have been switching back and forth between my Linksys and the Verizon Fios router because my battery drained really fast and I kept seeing one network or the other on the phone (barely 1 bar Edge signal here so it would rarely connect to that). Later in the day I had the WiFi icon and the lower case uma and couldn't get it to go UMA, and it kept losing the linksys connection and connecting to the Fios router.

Switched the Linksys back to WEP security and has been rock solid since then. Battery is barely running down. I had lost 70% battery in less than a day yesterday and today it's 20% in 17 hours. I haven't seen it on any network other than the Linksys either.

I'm wondering if there's not some error when using WPA security. Is anyone able to get a solid connection with anything other than WEP?

Last edited by monkeypaw; 10-14-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Old 10-15-2007, 09:49 AM   #28
slow

Model: curve
Carrier: T-mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
I'm wondering if there's not some error when using WPA security. Is anyone able to get a solid connection with anything other than WEP?
we have 2 curves on our account. at home, we have been using our netgear -> cable modem. netgear is running wpa personal (note NOT wpa2). after getting the phones, i just typed in the psk and off they both went... never drop UMA and signs on automatically when we get home. when we got our phones, since the linksys was free after rebate, i got one too. since my netgear does not support wpa2, i figure linksys would be more secure, so, i decided to hook it up yesterday. it was the most PIA experience. i figure it would be PnP it is not. neither phone will hold UMA for more than 30 secs. it will go from UMA to EDGE and back. the only difference i did was using wpa2 personal. the range of the thing is also very bad. my netgear would serve the whole house including my yard. where linksys would fail half way through one room!. i have used 3-4 different channels... all the same. it is now back the netgear and is solid again. it never occur to me that wpa2 may cause issues. i'll play with it again tonight.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #29
ricbloch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw3000 View Post
what happens if you turn off the mobile network?
It just goes to SOS due to a very weak signal ay my home.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #30
ricbloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronpaul View Post
Starting a day or two ago I began having the same issues. This is my second 8320, both have the same problem and I'm using T-mo's D-link router. I've tried different channels, different security modes, etc. with no luck.

It seems worse during the day, it will only hold UMA for an hour at most, then kicks over to EGDE. In the evening it seems to hold longer. Could it be a service issue then, UMA servers getting clogged?? I have a full wi-fi signal to the d-link... UMA just has a hard time staying connected...

I love the phone, but I'm thinking of dropping the @home and adding more plan minutes. @home definitely does not work as as it should for me.
Yep...same thing here...my problem is I have very weak t-mobile service signal here at my house.. I'm hoping this becomes a know issue and t-mobile can fix it with a software update.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #31
ricbloch

Quote:
Was on with T-mo tech support today. They're opening a trouble ticket with their engineers. One rep said this was the third call she has handeled today for the same issue.

The last thing they said is that it sounds like an issue with the ISP "dropping their connection with our servers." In other words, it's not our problem... We'll see what the "final answer" is. I have Comcast business class cable access. If that really is the case it's going to affect a heck of a lot of customers...
Yep..the more calls they get, the sooner they will try to solve the issue. Note to ALL.. call t-mobile to complain about this issue. The sqeeky wheel gets the grease. thanks..
Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #32
ricbloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
we have 2 curves on our account. at home, we have been using our netgear -> cable modem. netgear is running wpa personal (note NOT wpa2). after getting the phones, i just typed in the psk and off they both went... never drop UMA and signs on automatically when we get home. when we got our phones, since the linksys was free after rebate, i got one too. since my netgear does not support wpa2, i figure linksys would be more secure, so, i decided to hook it up yesterday. it was the most PIA experience. i figure it would be PnP it is not. neither phone will hold UMA for more than 30 secs. it will go from UMA to EDGE and back. the only difference i did was using wpa2 personal. the range of the thing is also very bad. my netgear would serve the whole house including my yard. where linksys would fail half way through one room!. i have used 3-4 different channels... all the same. it is now back the netgear and is solid again. it never occur to me that wpa2 may cause issues. i'll play with it again tonight.
Sounds like you're on to something!!! Let me know if you continue to have success with your net gear... would you e-mail me at [email address]?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #33
aaronpaul

Carrier: T-mobile

I've upgraded my OS to 4.2.2.175, as seen here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-kong-csl.html

And, although I still get random drops of UMA to EDGE, as I did before - the phone will now pick back up the UMA signal within a few minutes on its own. I haven't had to manually reconnect yet (2 days so far). It seems that this version tries to reconnect when the connection with the server is lost - the t-mo version didn't for some reason. Everything else functions normally - and browsing over wi-fi seems a bit faster as well...

Let me know if anyone tries the upgrade and sees similar results...
Old 10-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #34
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile

Im running wpa2 personal on both a wrt54g, and a wap54g (upstairs, hardwired to my router). I have my curve and 2 airports, a windows xp laptop, a macnotebook pro, and an imac as wireless clients and a wired xp dell. The only problems I experience is that when I switch access points with my phone it will occasionally drop back to edge. If im in my home office all day and stay attached to just the wrt54g router I never (well, almost never) have any problems. I just looked at my phone bill online and for october I only have two calls that are not coded (U) from my house. Not too bad. Most important thing is to make sure you have the latest mfgr's firmware on your routers and access points.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #35
ricbloch

Default Upgraded OS to 4.2.2.175

Quote:
I've upgraded my OS to 4.2.2.175, as seen here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-kong-csl.html

And, although I still get random drops of UMA to EDGE, as I did before - the phone will now pick back up the UMA signal within a few minutes on its own. I haven't had to manually reconnect yet (2 days so far). It seems that this version tries to reconnect when the connection with the server is lost - the t-mo version didn't for some reason. Everything else functions normally - and browsing over wi-fi seems a bit faster as well...

Let me know if anyone tries the upgrade and sees similar results...
Upgraded OS to 4.2.2.175 yesterday afternoon. Stayed on UMA all day and that evening. Best results I have ever had with this 8320. When I woke up this morning, it was back to EDGE, but quickly found UMA on it's own. It never found UMA on it's own before. I see a problem still when 8320 goes into deep sleep mode. Overall big improvement with new OS.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #36
ricbloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbloch View Post
I have tried everything- Using the T-Mobile LinkSys router. Even got rid of all my 2.4GHz cordless phones in the house and switched to 5.8GHz

Stays on UMA for long periods and then kicks off back to EDGE.

When it kicks off to EDGE have difficult time getting system to find UMA signal again.

Support had known issue with people who had previous BB but this is a new Curve8320.

Tech support has had me do a complete wipe 3 different times….no help????

Anyone have a suggestion?
Upgraded OS to 4.2.2.175 yesterday afternoon. Stayed on UMA all day and that evening. Best results I have ever had with this 8320. When I woke up this morning, it was back to EDGE, but quickly found UMA on it's own. It never found UMA on it's own before. I see a problem still when 8320 goes into deep sleep mode. Overall big improvement with new OS.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #37
ricbloch

Default Upgraded OS to 4.2.2.175

Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #38
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill View Post
Im running wpa2 personal on both a wrt54g, and a wap54g (upstairs, hardwired to my router). I have my curve and 2 airports, a windows xp laptop, a macnotebook pro, and an imac as wireless clients and a wired xp dell. The only problems I experience is that when I switch access points with my phone it will occasionally drop back to edge. If im in my home office all day and stay attached to just the wrt54g router I never (well, almost never) have any problems. I just looked at my phone bill online and for october I only have two calls that are not coded (U) from my house. Not too bad. Most important thing is to make sure you have the latest mfgr's firmware on your routers and access points.
After .175, my phone will stay on whichever router it's on solidly instead of losing the connection even with WPA2. But on calls, I can't get it to work on WPA. If I try calling voicemail, it disconnects instantly and then shows SOS until it connects again. It even rebooted my router one time as if I had turned off the router and back on. Was much shorter than a reset though. Not sure what that was all about, but I was calling from my VOIP phone to my cell so must have been too much to handle for the router. But I can do this all the time with WEP security.

On WEP security, both my Verizon Fios supplied router and my Linksys WTR54GS with dd-wrt firmware on it work. I have Qos on both and calls and connections are great. But as soon as I change security, connections get dropped.

I'm not worried about someone hacking into my wireless connection, so I'll go with WEP pending Tmobile's next upgrade.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #39
bnrosman

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMOBILE

Release 4.5 of the Blackberry Curve fixes the problem with FIOS. I was able to make calls, receive calls and the range was 50 ft from the router.
Closed Thread