BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
venturawest
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Keeping your Contacts when Changing Enterprise Servers?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey friends,

I could use some advice. I have an 8100 pearl and am switching enterprise servers from my old job (BigCompany) to my new employer (REALLYHugeCorp).

They are about to switch my T-mobile 8100 pearl over to the new enterprise server and I am having some concerns about losing my contacts. Unfortunately, my computer running outlook at BC is no longer available, so i can't just do a "Copy contacts" and copy them over to my new Outlook at RHC so that it syncs up wirelessly.

I did a backup on blackberry desktop manager and then attempted to just backup the "contacts" file, which it wouldn't let me do because my wireless sync was on (still synced to the old, BC server). So i turned off wireless sync and backed up the contacts file in desktop manager.

Now that I've done that: can I switch the enterprise servers, which will "flash" the blackberry, then go back to desktop manager and restore my contacts file? then turn wireless sync back ON, so that it syncs up the contacts on my phone and installs them to my new outlook? does that make any sense?

Alternatively, I have to do one of the following:
1) Get a big SIM card for 500 contacts and manually copy each to the SIM card. Ugh.
2) Go to my web-based outlook from BC, which I still have, then individually type each of the Contacts into my new Outlook server at RHC and then let them sync up.

I appreciate any suggestions and feedback you might have!!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

This isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

1. Backup the device using BlackBerry Desktop software. (Already done.)
2. Wipe the handheld (thus breaking your connection to old BES.
3. Restore your contacts from the backup to the device.
4. Activate device on new BES.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
venturawest

Thanks! However...when I reactivate onto the new BES, will the contacts that I've copied over get written over because it's syncing with the new BES?

And, the way it will work is - the IT folks at ReallyHugeCo will be syncing the BB up to the BES. and *then* i'll have the chance to do a restore contacts through the messenger service. in that order. Will that work?
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturawest View Post
Thanks! However...when I reactivate onto the new BES, will the contacts that I've copied over get written over because it's syncing with the new BES?
No.

Quote:
And, the way it will work is - the IT folks at ReallyHugeCo will be syncing the BB up to the BES. and *then* i'll have the chance to do a restore contacts through the messenger service. in that order. Will that work?
This is unnecessary. See above.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
venturawest

Terrific - Thank you!

One last question. Anyone here know about forwarding emails from outlook web access? I would like to forward all incoming email to my new BES email at ReallyHugeCorp. I don't have access to the original outlook client from the BigCompany account. I have tried to establish a "rule" where every email gets forwarded to the new account - but it doesn't seem to be working.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Terrific - Thank you!

One last question. Anyone here know about forwarding emails from outlook web access? I would like to forward all incoming email to my new BES email at ReallyHugeCorp. I don't have access to the original outlook client from the BigCompany account. I have tried to establish a "rule" where every email gets forwarded to the new account - but it doesn't seem to be working.
You probably can't. For security reasons, forwarding to external sources would likely need to be set up by your Exchange administrator.

Last edited by penguin3107; 06-17-2009 at 04:10 PM..
Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
venturawest

Understood. Got the BES switched over to the new job and reloaded my contacts, but there was some kind of problem with activating the new BES - my contacts will no longer give me a "wirelessly sync" option though my emails seem to be coming through. I'll fix that with the SA tomorrow.

As far as still being able to retrieve emails from my previous job, which I maintain an affiliation with - I will just add them as another email to the blackberry but have the BES run with the new job's enterprise server. Does that sound right?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
As far as still being able to retrieve emails from my previous job, which I maintain an affiliation with - I will just add them as another email to the blackberry but have the BES run with the new job's enterprise server. Does that sound right?
Sounds fine, as long as your new BES doesn't push a restrictive IT Policy to your device which would prohibit the use of BIS email accounts.
Closed Thread