Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #21
rickl144
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Mark,

Following up...I finally found the needed information to get Wireless IP-Relay to work. It was at blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3284&page=2, and involved setting the APN in Options > Advanced Settings > TCP to wap.voicestream.com (no id or pw needed). All's well; no more tunnel error! There are so many nooks and crannies on this forum for finding information, it can take a while.

Rick Lanser
Old 04-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

An update to my previous post....I downloaded IP-Relay in case I need to use it. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #23
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

The ip-relay program doesn't work well with suretype. I've tried it, and it only recognizes the first letter of each key you type with. That's why I suggested using ip-relay through AIM or yahoo as those clients are already on your device.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #24
pocat

Model: 8700
Default BB to TTY ???

is it possible for me to call a tty machine with my blackberry? or do I still have to do ip-relay via voice to call a deaf friend?

thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 08:39 PM   #25
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm not sure if this is possible. Here is where I got my information from, directly from the FAQ on ip-relay:

www.ip-relay.com/faq_using.html

From what this implies, it's vco to a hearing caller, not to a tty machine. Even with my main tty/phone, I wasn't able to use the relay services to a tty caller either.

The actual steps I used to do it all on my BB alone, isn't quite the same as what they said on the FAQ, but it's similar. The key is you must use the text (SMS) form of AIM or yahoo to be able to do this. The built in clients didn't work, because they log out as soon as you switch out to another app, like the phone or address book. Using the text form of AIM or yahoo isn't that much harder than using the client, it isn't pretty, but at least you get your messages in your inbox to save for future reference, and moreover, you don't run down your battery as it doesn't keep a constant data connection open. I was told by an ip-relay rep that it wasn't possible to do it on the cell phone by itself, because (their words) the cell phone can be in either data or phone mode, but not both at the same time.

Thru trial and error, I kept at it and found a way to get it to work. Look at the how-to dated 4/2/06 earlier in this thread on how it's done.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #26
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetanium

The actual steps I used to do it all on my BB alone, isn't quite the same as what they said on the FAQ, but it's similar. The key is you must use the text (SMS) form of AIM or yahoo to be able to do this. The built in clients didn't work, because they log out as soon as you switch out to another app, like the phone or address book.
I have been able to use other apps and still be logged into AIM or Yahoo.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #27
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Erica,

You're right, with the 4.1 firmware, it doesn't log out when switching apps. I had been on 3.8 for so long (for the tty mode), and it was the only thing I was used to till I upgraded to 4.1 just 2 months ago. The IM clients on the 3.8 software was terrible, with frequent connection problems, and the inability to put it in the background so I can use the phone app or look up addresses in my address book. After I upgraded, I didn't bother using those clients again even though they looked new, I assumed that they were the same as the old ones. As you've already noticed, I'm used to the text form of AIM and Yahoo, so to each their own.

Btw, my earlier post about the tty not installing with 4.1, I had to modify the phone.alx file to get it to show up as an option to install.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #28
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Thank goodness I didn't have 3.8 LOL I find that the text versions are harder to remember the different codes for so I would just wait for someone to IM me and I would reply back (thank God for T-Mobile Unlimited Messaging).

As for the TTY situation, I don't know if you saw my post, but my College Disability Services counselor is Deaf and I don't have a TTY at home so I need a way to contact her when I'm off campus or away from my pc. I thought about just getting her email address and emailing her from my BlackBerry but I don't know how often she is near a PC or if she has a pager (I have an old BlackBerry and I could give it to her. LOL A new CrackBerry Addict LMAO). I had Wireless IP-Relay on my BB but apparently it got deleted. Any way I can go about doing this?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #29
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, you could ask your counselor if she is provided a device by the school for her needs. If she isn't, she needs to be persuaded to request a device from the school as it is an excellent tool for her job. Not necessarily a cell phone but a blackberry on a data only plan would be perfect and cost effective for both her and the university as well as the students who needs to get in touch with her. That said.....

Let's say you gave her your blackberry and put it on a data only plan with unlimited sms. Next you'll need to convince her to go to www.ip-relay.com and register for a my ip-relay number for you to call so she can get your voice msgs translated as text. That gives you the ability to use your voice and her the ability to type back her response to you for the duration of the call. If you want to just text or email her, then that's fine too. But she will have to provide the nbr and email to her students that she counsels so they can email or text her if they need some assistance from her when she's not at the computer during reasonable hours.

The wireless relay application can always be redownloaded and installed on your blackberry. If you want to use it to call a tty, you'll need to go here for more information: http://www.ip-relay.com/faq_using.html. Personally, i think you're better off just calling her my ip-relay nbr rather than using the wireless ip-relay app.

One last thing, I would bet that she wouldn't like to be contacted too much during off-hours, if she endures too much of that, she could/would end up sticking with the computer and get her email on her own time.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #30
DeafCeo

Model: 7250

ip relay is very easy to use on the bb but I hardly use it .. Except when I am in the field I use it a lot mostly to make reservations... It sure does pays to be a fast typist and make the use of cheat keys.. but not sure if it would work with the ip relay module...

Ok I got a question for yall...

I want to get a telecoil coupler for this blackberry of mines...but I've been trying to find out what kind of ohm audio jack output does the Blackberry 7290 has? Can its accept a 3.5 mm mono jack? I check Blackberry offical site and it doesnt tell you if it can or cant accept a listening device with a 3.5mm mono jack. Thanks!

Please advise!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #31
BlueFlames

Model: 8330
Carrier: curve

Hey I'm deaf user, too!! Also I have i711.com for wireless relay in my new blackberry 8700g, too.... It can download. Here is www.i711.com

My old color sidekick already be funural
Old 07-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #32
blueoak

Model: 8700C
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetanium
DeafCeo,

I'm deadly serious, matter of fact, I have done it several times last month. If you have the mobile AIM working, especially in text/sms mode, (I believe this might be t-mobile's strength, I cannot vouch if cingular does the same because t-mobile treats all IM as sms), you will be able to do VCO calls without an additional device.

1) You'll need to add my iprelay to your buddy list in aim, make sure it's in the mobile group.
2) Now, go to aim.com and register your phone nbr and turn on IM forwarding, you'll need that.
3) Send an sms shortcode to 4646 (t-mobile shortcode for aim signon), type your screen name followed by space, followed by your passward, then send.
4) Send sms shortcode to myiprelay to get an operator, and then type 2lvco call from your nbr to hearing party's nbr
5) This is important, you'll need to remain in the messages app, so when the relay operator calls you, press the green button to answer, put the operator on hold, click wheel and then scroll down and click new call, type new nbr. When you're connected to the new nbr, click wheel>join call, then press escape to home screen, click ok if you get a prompt. Then go back to messages, from then on you'll get text msgs from the relay operator, which you'll read then you respond using your voice as if your talking normally. It's a little clunky, but it works. At least I'm using some of those minutes, and not wasting them just because I'm deaf.

Have fun!

Titetanium
- Never mind.. idiotic question

I'll ask a different one. Are calls to Credit Card companies secure through Relay Services?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #33
mookia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT & T
Smile 8700g

Hi I want to know if 8700g is far better than 7290 ? I just know that it is 64 mb and more memory than 7290. what else is better than 7290? Is it worth it?
Mookia
Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 AM   #34
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Cingular-Blue 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/101)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookia
Hi I want to know if 8700g is far better than 7290 ? I just know that it is 64 mb and more memory than 7290. what else is better than 7290? Is it worth it?
Mookia
My wife bought a 8700g from T-Mobile at the NAD Conference to replace her 7290 and I'm jealous! Screen resolution is way better, I know I could use the additional programmable buttons she gets on it to shortcut to GoogleTalk or a Browser or whatever. I had forgotten the memory doubled. I could also use the speaker phone for VCO calls with VRS!

The 7290's are 2-years old already. By the time you end your contract they would be way out-of-date.

My contract is finished and I was planning to hang on until the next generation of BlackBerrys, but I may grab an 8700 now as they will be 2-3 years old by the time a new contract runs out.

I've seen some 8700 going for less than the 7290 and SK2 on some websites. Go figure.

Steve
Old 07-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #35
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

And these last couple of replys have what to do with the title of this thread?

Last edited by kurrupt_1; 07-18-2006 at 01:35 PM..
Old 07-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #36
Steve

Wirelessly posted (Cingular-Blue 7290: BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/101)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurrupt_1
And these last couple of replys have what to do with the title of this thread?
Well, let's see...

"BlackBerry Technical» Aftermarket Software» Thread: Benefits of BlackBerry for the Deaf & Hard Of Hearing"

We've got Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing members with BlackBerrys, the beneifts, and now, helping someone decide which one to buy.

Instead, we could question why this thread is even in the Aftermarket Software forum instead of its own Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Forum. Probably because it was in the right place at the right time, such as my previous post.

Cheers!
Steve
Old 07-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #37
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Well, I am deaf and I didn't see any mention about how a rely service is affected by the unit. I just see a question on what BB is better.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #38
Boltsmag

Model: 00000

I greatly apologize for bumping an old-old thread as my first post...

But I'm a deaf/hard of hearing person in search of a wireless device and to be frank and honest -- this thread was a lot more informative about the blackberry as to the Sidekick or other pagers than most media web sites I have gone to while searching for "deaf wireless" on google.

I'm a veteran of simple (if not stupid) wireless devices. I used to use the Motorola T900 talkabout. I purchased a Ogo messaging device just before Cingular officially swallowed up AT and T and the simplicity of the device plus the weak battery was more of a turn off than anything.

The benefits at the begining of this thread were of great value. I'm wondering about dealers though along with not being forced into certain service plans (for example -- Amazon.com offers certain blackberrys but you cannot chose the data-only plans).

I appreciate any (additional) help you can give.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #39
GirlGoneWild

Model: 8100
PIN: 23E6F91F
Carrier: TMobile
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
[*]Better Vibrate Alert Than Most Phones
Current BlackBerry models has a very good vibrating alert that vibrates more powerfully than most other cellphones. Vibrate alert works on everything -- emails, SMS, alarms, and calendar appointment reminders!

[*]Vibrating Travel Alarm With Snooze Feature
Your BlackBerry doubles as a vibrating pillow alarm that keeps persistently vibrating until you select Snooze. It is the most reliable travelling vibrating alarm I have ever found; even more reliable than other battery-powered vibrating alarms intentionally manufactured for the purpose of use by the deaf. If you need more powerful vibrating and are worried the BlackBerry will fall off the bed or out of the pillowcase, wear a long sock and slip the BlackBerry inside your sock before you sleep. That'll do the job!

For more information, please feel free to read the BlackBerry FAQ link below:
I am deaf and I have BB Pearl. I hardly feel vibrating, only 3 times (weak/short). I used to have SK2. The vibrate would keep vibrating til I read it. I turned on LED flashing and noticed that keeps flashing longer til I read the message, is there to vibrate instead?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #40
Steve

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsmag
I greatly apologize for bumping an old-old thread as my first post...

But I'm a deaf/hard of hearing person in search of a wireless device and to be frank and honest -- this thread was a lot more informative about the blackberry as to the Sidekick or other pagers than most media web sites I have gone to while searching for "deaf wireless" on google.

I'm a veteran of simple (if not stupid) wireless devices. I used to use the Motorola T900 talkabout. I purchased a Ogo messaging device just before Cingular officially swallowed up AT and T and the simplicity of the device plus the weak battery was more of a turn off than anything.

The benefits at the begining of this thread were of great value. I'm wondering about dealers though along with not being forced into certain service plans (for example -- Amazon.com offers certain blackberrys but you cannot chose the data-only plans).

I appreciate any (additional) help you can give.
Belated welcome to the BlackBerry Forum.

Take a look at Welcome to Deafpagers.com! for data-only plans and Berries. They cover most carriers.

Steve

Last edited by Steve; 01-03-2007 at 09:05 PM..
Closed Thread