Old 12-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Zzeuss
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Iphone or Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I am a college student and I am just wondering in your opinion what you suggest I get. I love blackberry’s, but I also love the iphone. Like I said I really don't need this for business purposes and I love to browse the internet while in class ect. What do you think I should get?

Thanks,
Eddie
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Neither.
I think you should pay attention to your instructor while you're in class.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

If you will mainly be using it for web browsing the iphone is a better device. The blackberry is a better phone and email device, the iphone is a better web and media playing device.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP

Do you enjoy starting fights?

Seriously, it all depends. What do you want the device to do for you? I'm betting you want the iphone. But keep it put away when your are supposed to be working and paying attention in class.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I can't even believe this is still being discussed.

iPhone = Media/Consumer-oriented device w/communication as afterthought

BlackBerry = Communication king! Passable browser and media device.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
Zzeuss
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have been on deans list for the last 2 years so I am not worried about my grades and or paying attention. College is boring, it is easy and I need something to do while in class. lol
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
kerph32
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzeuss View Post
I have been on deans list for the last 2 years so I am not worried about my grades and or paying attention. College is boring, it is easy and I need something to do while in class. lol
I'd hire you after you graduate
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Well, then you should have no problem answering your own question above.
You seem smart enough to make the best choice for yourself.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Dereck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

As a college student, I felt the BlackBerry more than the iPhone. Lookwise - the iPhone wins. Dependability - the BlackBerry wins. Being a media person, I am satisfied with what BlackBerry has to offer. I can install third party applications (which is nice), browse the web, listen to music while I get work done during my free time and receive reminders for important projects and work events.

If you're after a "toy," then the iPhone might be your best choice.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Appearing to be focused on the job is more important. Practicing now could work out better for you in the long run.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Maybe a SideKick would do the trick.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
jleebiker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

1) Keep surfing the web in class and you'll be using whatever Mommy and Daddy decide to buy for you.

2) Isn't one of the things college supposed to do for you is to teach you to think for yourself? Don't be a sheep and ask others what you should get. Find what you like and pick for yourself. You'll be much more happy about the decision in the long run.

Ok ok ok, all poking fun aside (face it all you who poked fun are jealous of the carefree life of college

The iPhone really is a media device. The BB is a communication device. Although, with a 4GB microSD card, I can get about 10 movies in 16:9 ratio and Dolby sound on my BB. I watch movies all the time during boring meetings all the time.

So many movies to choose from...

Happy Holidays and enjoy whatever you get!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

No jealousy here. Just 30 years of hindsight.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Wait till 30-60 days for the Blackberry 9000. It will kill the iPhone.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleebiker View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

1) Keep surfing the web in class and you'll be using whatever Mommy and Daddy decide to buy for you.

2) Isn't one of the things college supposed to do for you is to teach you to think for yourself? Don't be a sheep and ask others what you should get. Find what you like and pick for yourself. You'll be much more happy about the decision in the long run.

Ok ok ok, all poking fun aside (face it all you who poked fun are jealous of the carefree life of college

The iPhone really is a media device. The BB is a communication device. Although, with a 4GB microSD card, I can get about 10 movies in 16:9 ratio and Dolby sound on my BB. I watch movies all the time during boring meetings all the time.

So many movies to choose from...

Happy Holidays and enjoy whatever you get!
"I watch movies all the time during boring meetings all the time."

Those must be Dept. of Redundancy Dept. meetings!!
Old 12-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

PIN: 2434CB8D

I personally can't believe how many people are buying iPhones. They tend to be people that don't actually need anything more than a regular phone and an MP3 player. The number one used application on the iPhone is the web browser. That says a lot about who's buying these devices.

My number one app on my BlackBerry is email. In fact, I use the email more than I actually use the phone itself for conversation. So for me it's email, phone, TodoMatrix, Calendar, SMS, DataVault, Money, WorldMate, and then the browser. The browser for me is just about dead last, but I actually use the media player even less than the web browser. Ask an iPhone user to do what I just did and I already know what will be first on the list. Web Browser. Second will be MP3 player. Third might be the phone, but might not be.

So in consideration of what device to buy, consider what you will actually need it to accomplish. The BlackBerry with BES in my opinion has the best email in the world, period. Until Apple makes a product like BES, which they will never do, it will never be better at email than a BlackBerry. Apple may sell more phones, but more phone sales doesn't mean it's a better phone. McDonald's sells more burgers than anyone. If you think they make good burgers, or even good food, you're a half bubble off.

I'll be the first to admit the iPhone did look attractive. But I will also say as I know two people who both own one, that it wears off. When it first released, I would have also said it is a good looking device, with a good interface. But honestly, it doesn't look so great to me anymore. And I still say the method of typing text is even less than pathetic. Typing with a tactile feel is simply going to remain better. Would you trade in your keyboard on your Mac or PC for a flat sheet of screen? Sure it would be cool for a while, but come on, admit it, a keyboard is better for typing. And the BlackBerry keyboard is also better for entering text. Might not be as cool, but sometimes you have to look a novelty in the face and allow yourself to see it for what it is. An over priced, MP3 player with a browser and phone. Do you really need to waste more time on the web than you already do?

-Alex Alexzander
Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
PPCMD
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820

Get the iPod touch instead of the over rated iPhone (I am big MAC user and I won't get an iPhone). I get asked at the office a lot about smartphones and I tell iPhone buyers to wait for iPhone 2.0 or beyond before wasting there money. First you can only install what Jobs wants you to install (Jail break can break your phone) and at least BB's are adding more apps (still way behind Palm and WinMobile).

Blackberry's work just fine for web browsing and you can tap into the college's WiFi with the 8820 put media on a 6GB microSD card. So where is the issue, get the BB and show the folks that you are ready for the real world and not the playground.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #18
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I can't even believe this is still being discussed.

iPhone = Media/Consumer-oriented device w/communication as afterthought

BlackBerry = Communication king! Passable browser and media device.
I totally agree. Although the media player and browser isn't that great in 4.2, for the moment, well... The fact that I can send e-mails and chat ALWAYS is the best thing I've ever had on a mobile phone (unless you have 100% free SMS & MMS messaging, but we all know that for the moment, that doesn't exist )

I'd say BB if you're looking for a communication tool, and iphone as an MP3 Replacement.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #19
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Get the iPhone and join:

iPhone Forum - iPhone Forum Index

In reality get what you think you would like. It does not seem like you have any great demand that either one can't accomplish.

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 12-22-2007 at 05:54 PM..
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I'd sum it up like this: The iPhone is a multimedia phone while the Blackberry is a communications/email/messaging phone. Both can perform the basics of the other's strength area, but they excel in their own specialty field. So it's all up to what you want to use it for.
Closed Thread