Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
RobinsBB

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Key problems

Please Login to Remove!

All of a sudden today, pushing the trackball on my Curve 8300 takes me to the phone call screen and types a U. If I push the Escape Key, it types H; if I push it again it types h. Is there a way to stop this? This happens no matter where I am--home screen, applications, etc. I have to push the End/Power key to get out of it. I have no idea what happened but I want to fix it!
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsBB View Post
All of a sudden today, pushing the trackball on my Curve 8300 takes me to the phone call screen and types a U. If I push the Escape Key, it types H; if I push it again it types h. Is there a way to stop this? This happens no matter where I am--home screen, applications, etc. I have to push the End/Power key to get out of it. I have no idea what happened but I want to fix it!
Start with a Battery pull while the device is on. Otherwise you might try some compressed air on the trackball.

Did the device get wet?

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 12-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
RobinsBB

It didn't get wet. Honestly it went from working fine to not working just sitting on my desk.

the battery pull didn't help. Neither did the compressed air.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
rich_NJ

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Trackball Erratic and Clicking

Hi, I am new to the forum. I got my 8830 on 11-26-07, and almost immediately had a problem with the trackball. It is acting erratically almost like as if I had made a thousand vertical and lateral moves. It just sits there clicking away for a few minutes and then most of the time when I go back I am ok. However, sometimes it starts the erratic behavior again immediately. Do you have this problem as well as the one you described?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
mandrake

Model: 8800
Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_NJ View Post
Hi, I am new to the forum. I got my 8830 on 11-26-07, and almost immediately had a problem with the trackball. It is acting erratically almost like as if I had made a thousand vertical and lateral moves. It just sits there clicking away for a few minutes and then most of the time when I go back I am ok. However, sometimes it starts the erratic behavior again immediately. Do you have this problem as well as the one you described?
Did you end up resolving this issue? I've got an 8800 and am having the exact same issue. No idea how to fix it. Just plain annoying.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
merugu

My blackberry 8800 is behaving exactly the same way as the original post.

Pressing the trackball types a "U" and takes me to the phone screen exactly as if I would have pressed the letter key U.

Pressing the "go-back" key types out the letter "H" and goes to the phone screen exactly as pressing the letter key H.

Except for these two keys, all other keys seem to be working correctly.
In fact, the track ball movements in all four directions are working fine too.

Obviously the keys seem to work because they act when pressed, but somehow they seem to have been remapped.

The reboot by removing the battery while it is on and replacing after some time didn't help either.

I don't know how it got into this state. It didn't get wet for sure and I don't believe that compressed air would help (to clear any dirt) because the keys are responding fine.

Did any of you who faced the same problems get them resolved? If so, could you please post your solutions?

Thankfully the "enter" and "menu" keys are still working so I'm able to do the same thing as trackball press to "select" and "go-back".

I'm running Blackberry v4.2.1.72 (platform 2.3.0.54). I have a very few third party apps - JiveTalk, Yahoov3.0 and Google Maps. I don't suspect any of these apps could have remapped the keys because I hardly use them.

Although it is a problem with the keys (hardware), I am suspecting that it may be a bug in the software. Should we be posting this message on to a different forum instead?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
grep

Carrier: vzw

I had this a few days ago, and it appears to have occurred due to a tiny amount of water hitting the BB. When I say tiny, I mean really tiny but apparently it messes something up. A few hours later the issue disappeared though after removing battery and letting it dry.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
gregsatt

Carrier: Cingular

I'm having the exact same issue and it has lasted for days. If it were wet, it should have dried out by now. It had gotten wet about a month ago, but worked fine. Then all of the sudden, it started doing this.

Is there a way to map a different key to mimic the back key? This would at least be a workaround as it is very annoying to have to use the menu key to get back.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
gregsatt

Carrier: Cingular

subscribing...
Old 06-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
NesUSP

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

I am having the exact same issue, except when I push in my trackball it types a w or an e. Did you ever resolve this? It is killing me. I wish there was a way to reprogram the trackball to function as the enter key or solve this issue another way. My trackball is clean and every other button on the phone works flawlessy. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
ghetto2104

Carrier: Fido
Default Back Button Enters an "H"

Had the same problem as original poster..I pulled the battery while my BB was still on and it seemed to correct the problem. I don't know how it got to that point though because it was working fine just 10 minutes prior and I know I had no exposure to any liquids for that to be the cause.
Closed Thread