BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
ixtab
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default LogicMail - how would you configure to pull Gmail?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Anyone who's using LogicMail with Gmail out there and can help?

I was trying to configure LogicMail to pull Gmail via pop and was not able to go past the authentication pop-up.

I was trying to login with: Username: recent:myusername@gmail.com Password: mypassword
And also: Username: recent:myusername Password: mypassword

but that didn't work.

I know I can use BIS and/or the Gmail stand-alone app to push/pull gmail. I and just testing LogicMail as an alternative when I don't have a BIS connection available.

Thanks,
Ix
Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Not sure why you wouldn't use BIS with GMail as the delivery is instant? As for your lack of BIS connection is that do to location or not wanting to pay the cost of a BlackBerry Data Plan? BlackBerry's require a BlackBerry Data Plan for any sort of data related functionality, If your looking to forgo BIS for LogicMail as a work around your probably otta luck.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
ixtab
Thumbs Must Hurt

finch, just when traveling out of the country. I refuse to pay the $65 for international BB roaming (with 1 year commitment!) and will be renting a local SIM card with GPRS service on it.
Rare, but that is why I will only use LogicMail while traveling and BIS+BES when back in the states.

I read on another post that Gmail should transport over the TCP APN so I might not even need LogicMail, but I'll see soon enough if it really uses TCP or BIS.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
finch, just when traveling out of the country. I refuse to pay the $65 for international BB roaming (with 1 year commitment!) and will be renting a local SIM card with GPRS service on it.
Rare, but that is why I will only use LogicMail while traveling and BIS+BES when back in the states.

I read on another post that Gmail should transport over the TCP APN so I might not even need LogicMail, but I'll see soon enough if it really uses TCP or BIS.
Have you thought to install Gmail apps so it would use the TCP APN from your bb?
Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
ixtab
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, I already have both (gmail and google apps for hosted domains) and plan to use as first solution. Direct pop/imap through 3rd party is my fallback if gmail doesn't work.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Ix
Old 08-24-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

I don't use LogicMail for my GMail (the applet works 100% for me), but if it helps here are the settings for your GMail connections:

server: pop.gmail.com / POP
mode: SSL required
port: 995
username: [email address] or [email address] (Apps for Domains)

server: smtp.gmail.com / SMTP
mode: TLS (or SSL)
port: 587
username: <same as above>

I've only ever used these with Thunderbird which fully supports TLS for SMTP, I'm unsure if LogicMail supports TLS yet? Hafta look.