BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Ferguson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Car Bluetooth dial when holstered?

Please Login to Remove!

Tried to find something on this and can not...

Have 8300 curve (AT&T), and BMW X5 which integrates nicely, downloads phonebook, etc. 4.2.2.89.

When the 8300 is holstered, it is locked. The car will receive and answer calls at that point, but not dial out.

There is an option under Settings, Security, General called "Allow outgoing calls while locked". Seems obvious, right? But I have tried it both YES and NO, and it still will not call when locked, I have to unlock the phone first.

I want the phone locked while holstered as I have the leather, and it will otherwise hit keys, might redial, etc.

Any insight?

PS While I am on the subject is there any way to disable the redial feature. I find on both headset and car, if the person on the other end hangs up and so do I, if I manage to click after the call ends, I end up redialing. I don't really use redial so would be happier with it off.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
Tried to find something on this and can not...

Have 8300 curve (AT&T), and BMW X5 which integrates nicely, downloads phonebook, etc. 4.2.2.89.

When the 8300 is holstered, it is locked. The car will receive and answer calls at that point, but not dial out.

There is an option under Settings, Security, General called "Allow outgoing calls while locked". Seems obvious, right? But I have tried it both YES and NO, and it still will not call when locked, I have to unlock the phone first.

I want the phone locked while holstered as I have the leather, and it will otherwise hit keys, might redial, etc.

Any insight?

PS While I am on the subject is there any way to disable the redial feature. I find on both headset and car, if the person on the other end hangs up and so do I, if I manage to click after the call ends, I end up redialing. I don't really use redial so would be happier with it off.

sorry, I'm not sure I understand what the car provides in terms of services to the phone. What device profile is used on the pairing? Handsfree?

I can sucessfully voice dial while holstered and locked, thru my bluetooth headset. I can manually dial ONLY when I select the 'Place Call' menu option when locked.

So I think while locked and NOT in place call mode, the phone will ignore individual key tones from outside. It will allow the voice dial to generate key tones from INSIDE the phone.

Sam
Old 07-21-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Ferguson

That's interesting, I also cannot voice call while holstered and locked, with the Motorola H700.

The device properties show "Handsfree" and "opp". However they do it, it is very well coupled. It automatically downloads the address book, and I can use either the car's screen or the phone to dial or hang up, and it responds consistently. It's certainly not responding to audiable tones, it is connected via blue tooth. When I dial (with it unlocked) there's no sound of keys over the speaker.

When I voice dial with the car connected, the car is doing the voice interpretation, not the phone. But I cannot dial, redial , address book dial or voice dial with the phone locked.

I just did this while sitting here: Verified the security setting is to allow calls while locked. Opened Motorola headset, it connected. Locked phone. Hit the earpiece to invoke voice dialing -- nothing. Unlocked phone, hit earpiece - voice screen appears and "say a command" is said.

So the car and headset in that regard are consistent on mine, but it sounds like different from yours? And I see you use cingular as well. How odd.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
That's interesting, I also cannot voice call while holstered and locked, with the Motorola H700.

The device properties show "Handsfree" and "opp". However they do it, it is very well coupled. It automatically downloads the address book, and I can use either the car's screen or the phone to dial or hang up, and it responds consistently. It's certainly not responding to audiable tones, it is connected via blue tooth. When I dial (with it unlocked) there's no sound of keys over the speaker.

When I voice dial with the car connected, the car is doing the voice interpretation, not the phone. But I cannot dial, redial , address book dial or voice dial with the phone locked.

I just did this while sitting here: Verified the security setting is to allow calls while locked. Opened Motorola headset, it connected. Locked phone. Hit the earpiece to invoke voice dialing -- nothing. Unlocked phone, hit earpiece - voice screen appears and "say a command" is said.

So the car and headset in that regard are consistent on mine, but it sounds like different from yours? And I see you use cingular as well. How odd.

My headset is the Motorola H500. Voice dial while locked works perfectly..(One of the requirements).. Our company forces a password lock after 15 mins of inactivity, so having to type in the PW to get to voice dial would really suxx..

Based on my reading of the Handsfree spec, I'd say this is a BB bug. You should report it..

I think this only the handsfree profile.. the headset only work great..

Sam

Last edited by sdetweil; 07-26-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
Ferguson

I can't say that I figured this out, but it is working.

I had an unrelated calendar problem, and my tech support guys decided they wanted to do a complete wipe and reload.

I'm not quite sure what they did, it says it has the same version and had some of the same software, but it seems subtly different (e.g. I swear alarm had a separate y/n for weekends, now it is a weekday/weekend option), but it now works fine when locked.

No idea what happened. I've used it several times now with headset and car and it works fine.
Closed Thread