Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
loshun

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default BB9700 on AT&T-- no Data plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I just got a BB9700 from a friend and it's NOT unlocked. It's for AT&T.

I do not have a data plan, and do not want one. Please save me the spiels on WHY I would use a BB without a data plan. Just don't bother replying!

So basically - I want to make sure ATT doesn't tack a data plan onto my monthly bill for using a blackberry. How can I ensure this doesnt happen? I heard they can TELL if you're using a smartphone...

I already called them up and made them block internet...to ensure that my sim card can't connect to the internet... is there anything else I can do?

I'd like it if WiFi would work on this BB - but if it doesnt, fine.
I just want to make sure AT&T can't tell that I am using a smartphone to justify adding another $30 onto my bill.

Thanks in advanced.

Last edited by loshun; 05-08-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loshun View Post
Just don't bother replying!
Stunning attitude for a first time, new BlackBerry poster.

Enjoy your new phone.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:

I do not have a data plan, and do not want one. Please save me the spiels on WHY I would use a BB without a data plan. Just don't bother replying!

So basically - I want to make sure ATT doesn't tack a data plan onto my monthly bill for using a blackberry. How can I ensure this doesnt happen? I heard they can TELL if you're using a smartphone...

I already called them up and made them block internet...to ensure that my sim card can't connect to the internet... is there anything else I can do?

I just want to make sure AT&T can't tell that I am using a smartphone to justify adding another $30 onto my bill.

Thanks in advanced.
Why? Because your carrier said so. It's there right, as per the contract you signed.

They can identify the type of any device being used on their network, and they will indeed add a data plan to your account whether you like it or not. No telling how long it may take, but count on it happening. Don't want a data plan? Get a phone that doesn't require one.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Took all of 26 hours for ATT to find mine.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Att got mine in about 2-ish days?

There's no way around it
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Some folks claim to have gone months and still not gotten tagged. I'm dubious about those claims, but whatever. It does appear that eventually they get everyone.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Just don't bother replying!
No problem.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
snhrph
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: nacle of creation

att started requiring data plan on all smartphones effective 9/6/2009.

Smartphones in use without data plan prior to that date were "grandfathered" in.

I know it to be true as I own an 8310 that I had re-connected to att without a contract and WITHOUT a data plan. My son uses it as a phone only.

I had that discussion with customer service rep when re-connecting the 8310, and he confirmed that phones bought prior to that date are exempt from this requirement.

But they WILL get you when you buy a new phone...
Old 05-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
loshun

Model: 9700

i assume that unlocking the phone wouldnt make much of a difference?

thank you everyone for your helpful responses
Old 05-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
snhrph
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: nacle of creation

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by loshun
i assume that unlocking the phone wouldnt make much of a difference?

thank you everyone for your helpful responses
Your assumption is correct.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Marsh9491

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Thanks in advanced.
I use a T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 on AT&T with no data charges. I'm registered to use a Palm 680 with MMS and am "grandfathered" to use smart phone with no data plan. Unfortunately, I can't just switch phones under my grandfather clause to another smart phone with WiFi (the Palm doesn't have it) since AT&T are being the usual jerks they are. So, I put a SIM in a unlocked T-Mobile BB 8900 and it has worked fine for over a year with my records still saying I use a Palm 680. The only catch is I can't use MMS on the BB so I can't send photos or videos anymore. BB uses their own data server and you have to have a data plan to send MMS (photos). On the Palm 680 AT&T allowed me to use data for free just for MMS photos. I paid if I wanted to use network services, which like you, I don't use. The BB 8900 does have WiFi so I'm happy and can even search for an open network in town or use it at a coffee shop, both of which I seldom do.

So far it's been over a year and I continue to use the phone without AT&T imposing a data plan. I keep the edge network off so as to not accidentally raise a flag when I'm using the Wifi mode.

The only downside is I can't send MMS since either the T-Mobile is not capable and uses a different system, or from what I've read, you have to have a BB data plan to send MMS since BB uses their own server system that one is not a part of with no data plan...no pushed email, photos or video. I still use the camera, but must transfer the photos on my computer and send through email.

The USA system of forced data plan is a rip-off. In Thailand I can get unlimited calls, pushed emails, and data on either the BB 2G Edge or 3G systems for $20 a month. Corporate power controls everything in the USA .

Why I don't get caught by AT&T's robots might just because my time has not come, or as an AT&T guy told me, just don't trigger network services, or it's 2G, or maybe it's because it's an unlocked T-Mobile device which they can't recognize.

I'm happy because I can effortlessly sync it with my Mac (finally..thank you BB for SW) and use Wifi whenever I want, plus use it for pushed email when I travel outside USA using any countries cheap SIM cards. I lose photos and video transmission here in USA, but I can live with that for saving $30 a month.

This was long but hope it helps.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh9491 View Post
I use a T-Mobile Blackberry 8900 on AT&T with no data charges. I'm registered to use a Palm 680 with MMS and am "grandfathered" to use smart phone with no data plan. Unfortunately, I can't just switch phones under my grandfather clause to another smart phone with WiFi (the Palm doesn't have it) since AT&T are being the usual jerks they are. So, I put a SIM in a unlocked T-Mobile BB 8900 and it has worked fine for over a year with my records still saying I use a Palm 680. The only catch is I can't use MMS on the BB so I can't send photos or videos anymore. BB uses their own data server and you have to have a data plan to send MMS (photos). On the Palm 680 AT&T allowed me to use data for free just for MMS photos. I paid if I wanted to use network services, which like you, I don't use. The BB 8900 does have WiFi so I'm happy and can even search for an open network in town or use it at a coffee shop, both of which I seldom do.

So far it's been over a year and I continue to use the phone without AT&T imposing a data plan. I keep the edge network off so as to not accidentally raise a flag when I'm using the Wifi mode.

The only downside is I can't send MMS since either the T-Mobile is not capable and uses a different system, or from what I've read, you have to have a BB data plan to send MMS since BB uses their own server system that one is not a part of with no data plan...no pushed email, photos or video. I still use the camera, but must transfer the photos on my computer and send through email.

The USA system of forced data plan is a rip-off. In Thailand I can get unlimited calls, pushed emails, and data on either the BB 2G Edge or 3G systems for $20 a month. Corporate power controls everything in the USA .

Why I don't get caught by AT&T's robots might just because my time has not come, or as an AT&T guy told me, just don't trigger network services, or it's 2G, or maybe it's because it's an unlocked T-Mobile device which they can't recognize.

I'm happy because I can effortlessly sync it with my Mac (finally..thank you BB for SW) and use Wifi whenever I want, plus use it for pushed email when I travel outside USA using any countries cheap SIM cards. I lose photos and video transmission here in USA, but I can live with that for saving $30 a month.

This was long but hope it helps.
Sounds more like a rant to me. Plus it does nothing to help solve the OP's problem.

Different carrier. Different location. Different plan. all of the above.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
tforsb

Model: 8310

I have a 8310 that is grandfathered in (purchased before data plan required).
It's acting up and I would like to upgrade, If I purchase a used phone on my own would I be forced to start a data plan since my contract has a smart phone grandfathered in?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I think you'll get forced into a data plan if you register a new PIN/IMEI with AT&T. All the grandfathering goes out the window.
Closed Thread