Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
amazing.manja

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Angry Accidental data usage

Please Login to Remove!

I have a blackberry bold (without data plan or BIS or BES). In order to use internet, i am connecting through the wifi. However i am seeing data usage in my bill. After going through this forum, I have the following configuration to connect to my wifi with blackberry.
1) my browser configuration is set to hotspot browser
2) Deleted all APN enteries under TCP in advanced config.
3) Mobile network data services is set to "off when roaming" - This is required - without this, i will not be able to connect through wifi.

I am not able to understand why i see the data usage. I am not using any apps other than the wifi browser which comes with blackberry bold. It appears whenever there is no wifi, the browser is connecting through the data network. When i chatted with one of the AT&T representative, i was told that i would be billed if i access their network. I am really getting frustrated with this .
Somebody please help me in configuring my device so that i would not accidentaly connect to the AT&T network.
Plz Help !!!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Set the Mobile Network to OFF, just above the WiFi settings in Manage Connections.

You can connect to WiFi with this off. I do on my Bold, which currently doesn't even have a SIM card in it.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
amazing.manja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Set the Mobile Network to OFF, just above the WiFi settings in Manage Connections.

You can connect to WiFi with this off. I do on my Bold, which currently doesn't even have a SIM card in it.

Thanks very much for the reply. If i turn it off, i cannot make / recieve calls.

Last edited by amazing.manja; 05-02-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Old 05-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

>I have a blackberry bold without data plan. However i am seeing data usage in my bill.

If I was in your place, I would start callig ATT customer support and demanding to reverse charges. With full confidence stating that without blackberry data plan I am not supposed to have data usage and data charges. Saying with no doubt in my voice that what bill says is technically impossible.

With little luck, you'll be forwarded to proper tier of ATT support who will be able to explain you where these data charges are coming from and how to avoid them.

My suspect is WAP browser on your device.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
> With full confidence stating that without blackberry data plan I am not supposed to have data usage and data charges. Saying with no doubt in my voice that what bill says is technically impossible.
Except that isn't true. Even without a Blackberry Data Plan, a BB is still a data enabled phone capable of accessing the network.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

I have digital box from my TV cable provider. It is capable of accessing over 600 TV channels. I am only subscribed to 200.
If I accidentally flip to channel I am not subscribed to, I expect not to receive service. I do not expect my cable provider start billing me for that channel just because I access their network.

It is also quite irrelevant that my cable digital box is device capable of accessing the network.

If someone starts charging me for data usage I have not explicitely subscribed for I would be rather upset and call customer support to find why am I billed for that.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
hrbuckley

That is fine Berry One, but for better or worse that is the way some providers work, Virgin Mobile in Canada for example. I don't have a data plan, other than the default that everyone has in that if I browse I get charged their ad hoc data rate. Getting upset won't help.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
amazing.manja

Ok... Finally Solved !!!
I called them up and got my phone blocked with any kind of data. Now i do not see any data usage on my bill. They also waived my data usage for past 2 months. I am able to use WIFI without any headache, i am also able to use apps which dangerously run on data plan in absence of wifi...
Hail AT&T !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
>I have a blackberry bold without data plan. However i am seeing data usage in my bill.

If I was in your place, I would start callig ATT customer support and demanding to reverse charges. With full confidence stating that without blackberry data plan I am not supposed to have data usage and data charges. Saying with no doubt in my voice that what bill says is technically impossible.

With little luck, you'll be forwarded to proper tier of ATT support who will be able to explain you where these data charges are coming from and how to avoid them.

My suspect is WAP browser on your device.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Blackb9000

Carrier: at&t

Will the bold use data if you dont try to access the internet?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackb9000 View Post
Will the bold use data if you dont try to access the internet?
Depends what applications you have installed/running, if you have mail set up, etc.