Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
classact
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
Carrier: Orange UK and T-Mobile UK
Default Orange UK - New BlackBerry BIS tariff out today

Please Login to Remove!

Orange have a new BIS tariff depending on your contract length. More info here. Data allowance has increased from 6Mb per month to unlimited (with a 250Mb fair usage cap).
Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
ncbnetworks

Model: 9000
PIN: 220880d4e
Carrier: Rogers
Default BIS over BES save $€£

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
Orange have a new BIS tariff depending on your contract length. More info here. Data allowance has increased from 6Mb per month to unlimited (with a 250Mb fair usage cap).
I read the fair usage cap as "20 MB"... Using BIS can save a fortune over BES!

Last edited by ncbnetworks; 04-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Title missing
Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
classact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbnetworks View Post
I read the fair usage cap as "20 MB"... Using BIS can save a fortune over BES!
The 20Mb fair usage is for Orange UK BES. 250Mb is for BIS. If you're lucky you can sometimes get Orange UK to enable enterprise on your account, if you speak to the right people in data support, but still only pay for BIS. Orange UK BES prices were originally conceived to be for customers who also sourced their BES solution from Orange UK (at £2500). Orange UK have yet to catch up with the fact that many people run their own BES or use an outsourced solution.

Prior to the increase in BIS data allowance, from 6Mb to 250Mb, if you paid for BES then you got BIS included. If this is still the case, the 20Mb BES allowance listed has now got to be invalid, given the BIS 250Mb allowance would also be included.

Orange UK need to get up to date and sort this out so it takes account of changes in the market. T-Mobile UK is easy. £5 for BIS and £10 for BIS/BES per month. I know, as I have the latter.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
Finally Orange seems to be matching other providers. I use Orange but even this change might be 'too little too late' for me. Although 250MB is a welcome change, I find Orange data (at least in London) to be too slow. They advertise EDGE but all I have only ever seen GPRS, and it can take a minute or more to load a mobile web link in the browser.

My contract is up in August and I'll probably switch to O2, TMobile or Vodaphone, depending on who has the better deal and can prove EDGE capability.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
classact

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
Finally Orange seems to be matching other providers. I use Orange but even this change might be 'too little too late' for me. Although 250MB is a welcome change, I find Orange data (at least in London) to be too slow. They advertise EDGE but all I have only ever seen GPRS, and it can take a minute or more to load a mobile web link in the browser.

My contract is up in August and I'll probably switch to O2, TMobile or Vodaphone, depending on who has the better deal and can prove EDGE capability.
Orange UK do have some advantages including a bunch of useful services including Single Number/multi SIM (that works with data - Vodafone's doesn't) and Enhanced Line 2 (which I have working successfully on my BlackBerry Curve 8310). It's handy to be able to have one device with two fully separate numbers for both incoming and outgoing calls and texts. I simply wish they'd stop trying to infer that enterprise BES is if you get their solution, and stopped charging £35 for it. Fortunately I managed to get it added with just BIS paid for but that's not the point, because I would like to add more devices with it in the future. £35 for BES access is wrong IMHO when T-Mobile UK can do it for £10.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
kalamaca

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

I just phoned orange and the rather grumpy unenthusiastic custermer service guy said nothing had changed... I'm on the £6 data plan and its still only 6mb?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #7
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120

I'm on some £8 a month dataplan I get 30 megs a month. BUT I can't get email on my blackberry. I don't have the email setup application.... I only have email setup via the setup wizard and that only lets you setup email via BES

PS:- if any orange UK customers want to exchange tips etc my pin is 252BF51B

Last edited by withnail69; 04-23-2008 at 06:36 AM..
Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

sorry to hijack but whilst there is a thread relating to orange customers.... can anybody recommend applications that will install on my 8120 and work and that are useful... the only one I have that works pretty well is the facebook one so far. My google maps doesn't launch I take it cause it needs gps access which I don't have? many thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamaca View Post
I just phoned orange and the rather grumpy unenthusiastic custermer service guy said nothing had changed... I'm on the £6 data plan and its still only 6mb?
Did you try calling 156? It is the Wirefree Enquiry Line. I called 150, got the same run around you got, and was able to get them to switch to the new plan by calling 156.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
kalamaca

Thanks for the number gave it a call and spoke to someone in the know, said that I was on the 6mb data bundle and I was led to believe that a new bundle had been created with unlimited usage (250mb). He confimed this was true and on my 18mth contract it was £7.50 -> just £1.50 more :P Will be activated at the start of the next billing date
Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
pnp23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I know you guys are discussing different issues, but does anyone know how to use 8320 on wifi connection to make free calls? Orange tech support is like a chocolate teapot and would not help unless you have got orange broadband. My Blackberry is connected to the wireless router, but all the minutes are billed to me even when I turn off the Orange network.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #12
withnail69
Thumbs Must Hurt

yes pnp it has been revealed to me that even uma calls are chargeable by orange. Which is a pain. We need technology some VOIP that doesn't get detected by orange ....
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #13
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

how can a company claim unlimited with a cap, this boggled me from verizon to now orange or who ever. and even some cable co's
Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
how can a company claim unlimited with a cap, this boggled me from verizon to now orange or who ever. and even some cable co's
I don't know about the US but in the UK there are no unlimited data plans from any service providers- even though most of them call their plans 'unlimited'. They label their limits in their contracts as 'Fair Use Policies'. Some don't even tell you on their websites- you have to read the fine print in their terms and conditions.

It seems to be a marketing thing. Although different, it sort of reminds me of how companies market televisions (ex. they say 25 inch TV, but only 23 inches are viewable), hard drives (ex. they say 50GB, but you really only get 48GB or there about) or ISP speed (my ISP advertises 24MB speed but over the years I have never gotten above 16MB).

Just always remember to read the fine print..
Old 04-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #15
kalamaca

When I signed upto my orange broadband a few years ago they warned me about the data allowance think it was something stupid like 2gb. I don't think i've ever stayed even close to this margin and orange have never mentioned anything so maybe its more of a scare tactic? Anyhow they said if you seriously exceed it they'll send you a warning before taking any action
Closed Thread