Old 03-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #21
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddodge68
So if my carrier does have a BB data plan, and I subscribe to it, then will my BB automatically connect?

I'm really sorry for all of these noob questions. But I really do appreciate the help.

Greetings & Welcome to the Forum!

I'm glad that you are asking these questions. We all started off the same way.

First off let me offer some clarification: when one has a BlackBerry you must have a voice plan (obviously) and a BlackBerry plan (not so obvious)

There are 2 types of BB plans. 1) BES : BB Enterprise Service. 2) BIS: BB Internet Service.

1) Is for corp users who's company has BB servers.
2) Is for individuals using their BB for personal or small business use.

So you MUST have a BlackBerry plan. The reason is that with a BB plan during setup your BB will "register" on the BB network at which time "service books" will be automatically sent to your device. Contained with the data sent to your BB are icons for the desktop so that you have access to every thing a BB can do.

Where it becomes confusing is how each carrier chooses to label these. An easy way to get around this is to tell your carrier that you want the Unlimited personal BB plan. T-Mobile charges about $20 for this in addition to your voice plan. Finally I read in your first post that you will be using it for text msg as well so you may require a plan for that unless it's bundled with your voice plan.

None of the above should be confused with whatever data plan or internet access plan you have now.

For example: I was using a RAZR on Cingular before I switched to my first BB. For that phone I had a "MediaNet Plan" which is Cingulars name for Internet access on phones like the RAZR & others that are capable of browsing the web. So when I got my BB, I removed the MediaNet plan & replaced it with Cingularl's BIS, called BB Unlimited Personal Plan. With this I have a proper BB plan which allows unlimited access to the internet & unlimited emails.

Hopefully this helps

Cheers....
Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #22
ddodge68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel

archer6, that helps a ton. Thank you all for your patience with all of my noob questions. I called i-wireless support. They do offer BB service. I have to call tomorrow between 10-7, and they'll set it up.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Please bare with me.

Thanks...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #23
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
archer6, that helps a ton. Thank you all for your patience with all of my noob questions. I called i-wireless support. They do offer BB service. I have to call tomorrow between 10-7, and they'll set it up.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Please bare with me.

Thanks...

You are very welcome.

Glad to hear that you are making progress.

Keep those questions coming, that's what we are here for.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #24
ddodge68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel

Update...I called support tonight between 10-7, like they said. They connect me to the necessary people. The guy takes all of my info, puts me on hold, and comes back and says i-wireless does not support BB. I was pi$$ed. Their reps told me to go ahead and get one, it'll be fine. So they connect me with a "retension agent", after I tell them I'll just have to discontinue my service. This dude listens to my story, and says he'll call me back. He calls me back about an hour later, and tells me that they have one guy that has had some luck setting up BB's, and he'll call me tomorrow.

The funny part about all of this (if there is one) is that the i-wireless rep that I talked to originally, that told me to go ahead and buy the BB, tells me yesterday morning that he's considering getting a BB too...WTF????
Old 03-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #25
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

You can sell him your Blackberry if you dont end up using it.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #26
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
First off let me offer some clarification: when one has a BlackBerry you must have a voice plan (obviously) and a BlackBerry plan (not so obvious)
Actually, you can choose to have one or the either as well. It's entirely possible to have data without voice or voice without data.

Quote:
The funny part about all of this (if there is one) is that the i-wireless rep that I talked to originally, that told me to go ahead and buy the BB, tells me yesterday morning that he's considering getting a BB too...WTF????
Maybe he has service through a different carrier? A lot of reps don't know much about Blackberries so I wouldn't be surprised.
Closed Thread