BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #161
BBUserxxxx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I have finally gotten Chinese email to display on my BB. The long story short, T-Mobile and RIM couldn't solve my problem (see my above posts).

Here's how I did it:
I borrowed my colleague's BB that shows black squares in place of Chinese, to switch handsets but couldn't send service books to neither handsets. Then I deleted my service books on my handset with my colleague's SIM card and thinking this may be the problem of not able to send service books. For some time longer, it still didn't work. In feared of screwing up someone else BB, sort of gave up and reversed the SIM cards. After a while I was happy that both BB started to work. Then I did a test just for the hack and wow there they were. I can't believe I fixed it!

Though I still don't know exactly what fixed it. I doubt that deleting the service books would because I did try without backup and restore. I think it's the setting on the BIS that was stuck on since I first had my BB thats probably on BIS 1.0.

Hope my experience would help someone.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #162
harveyjc_2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
The twilight zone? Why do I have this feeling that all the attention is being put on a 4.3.x OS release ... but its still going to be meh.

Thankfully, UMA keeps me warm at night.
I'm bored with this OS as well. C'mon RIM, give me SOMETHING to tinker wih.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #163
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyjc_2001 View Post
I'm bored with this OS as well. C'mon RIM, give me SOMETHING to tinker wih.

Me too. I am ready for a new phone or a new OS.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #164
chinabb

PIN: N/A
Carrier: China Mobile, on an unlocked phone

Ok, I have read through all 5 pages of this thread and still have a query. I have an unlocked BB 8320 from T-Mobile in the USA and I want to have an English OS that still allows me to read and write Chinese.

On Singapore Telecom Mobile Pte Ltd's page of downloads, I see this:
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.338 (Chinese)
Package Version: 4.2.2.338

Because it says "Chinese", does that mean the entire OS is Chinese, or will it still be English and allow me to read/write Chinese when I need to?

I see another one from Hong Kong CSL Limited has this version:
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.321 (Multilanguage)
Package Version: 4.2.2.321

I assume the "Multilanguage" will be English and then give me the ability to read/write Chinese, correct? The Singapore version is higher, so I guess I'd rather have and use that if it has English as the default and then allows me to write/read Chinese.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #165
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinabb View Post
I assume the "Multilanguage" will be English and then give me the ability to read/write Chinese, correct? The Singapore version is higher, so I guess I'd rather have and use that if it has English as the default and then allows me to write/read Chinese.
Incorrect assumption - Multilanguage effectively means "European" (sorta), it's English and other romance languages (Spanish/French/etc.) as well as things like Hebrew. Only the firmwares specifically marked Chinese are the ones you want to install to read/write with chinese characters on your device. (and Korean & Japanese, usually).
Old 02-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #166
chinabb

Default Can't download RIM softwarre from Chinese IP addresses!!!

Ok I understand. Now another fantastically huge problem: RIM does not allow people in China from Chinese IP addresses to download their software from blackberry.com!

Any idea of other download points? This is extrremely frustrating!

I receive this error message:
We apologize but your IP comes from a country which does not permit downloading of our software. For further information or assistance, please contact [email address].

Last edited by chinabb; 02-29-2008 at 03:18 PM..
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #167
chinabb

And Proxies do not work... they don;t work because on one of the RIM pages, there is a dropdown window for country and province/state, and that script does not load through the 3 proxies I used, so the form on RIM's site does not work.

FRUSTRATING!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #168
tlennox

I downloaded the installer and loaded the package onto my desktop PC, but when I connect my BB it does not prompt me to update the OS. Is there something I need to do to initiate that upgrade process once connected?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #169
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020: BlackBerry8320/4.3.1.27 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Did you delete the vendor.xml file after OS installation?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #170
chinabb

Is there anyway you can upload or place that file someplace where I can download? I can't access blackberry.com's servers from China, so I am in desperate need of a CJK or Chinese software...
Old 03-02-2008, 04:14 AM   #171
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinabb View Post
Is there anyway you can upload or place that file someplace where I can download? I can't access blackberry.com's servers from China, so I am in desperate need of a CJK or Chinese software...
There's obviously a reason RIM has blocked the China IPs, it may be a violation of some sort of strong encryption export laws or something strange like that which is a legal thing. Asking people here to post the firmware for you outside of RIM's servers is asking people to possibly (possibly, I don't know for sure) break some sort of law or treaty or something. Your best course of action is to email RIM and ask why you are blocked.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #172
chinabb

Yes I understand this might be the situation. But BlackBerry and RIM are already in China and advertising themselves, but they don't have these specific models (i.e. 8320) and of course RIM is already in Hong Kong, which is part of China. Both my colleagues in Beijing and Shanghai both can't access the downloads. Via proxies, things work well until one of RIM's javascripts gets caught and can't get downloaded to have "country" and State" displayed -- therefore I can;t "register" for the download.

yes I already emailed them and am waiting for 4 days now for an answer...
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #173
torrero

Carrier: China Mobile

Chinabb,
Use this OperaTor - Opera + Tor. Surf anonymously | Arche Twist
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #174
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

To those who got 184 working on WiFi, which security type did you enable on your wireless? I just want to know. I have set up mine with the recommended settings as posted by rivviepop and only have wireless MAC filtering enabled--I could only get 180 to connect, not 184.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #175
BBUserxxxx

I have a Netgear wireless router set up as AP. WPA2 security is used. OS 184
Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #176
datboi305
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216e8182
Carrier: tmobile

i cant find how to wipe my bb 8320 using the jl_cmder anywhere....every link i click says invald link i need to wipe my curve because it wont start at all anymore......could i just try to install new software and it would wipe the old software ?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #177
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi305 View Post
i cant find how to wipe my bb 8320 using the jl_cmder anywhere....every link i click says invald link i need to wipe my curve because it wont start at all anymore......could i just try to install new software and it would wipe the old software ?
The site seems not to be working right now so its not necessarily your end. It worked 30 minutes ago when I first tried, then hasn't since then.

Until it starts working again, you can try to get the OS to install. If BB desktop manager can see the phone, you can try installing the OS. Start up desktop manager and get the application loader screen up, then click to the communication port screen, then try plugging the phone USB adapter. Keep trying to get the OS to install by clicking next. It might catch the phone at some point when the computer recognizes it.

If it will not recognize it at all, then you'll probably have to try to get jl_cmdr.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #178
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboi305 View Post
connect it to the app loader and try flashing with new software and see what happens.

Last edited by digitalextremes; 03-28-2008 at 04:27 PM..
Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #179
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricpac View Post
To those who got 184 working on WiFi, which security type did you enable on your wireless? I just want to know. I have set up mine with the recommended settings as posted by rivviepop and only have wireless MAC filtering enabled--I could only get 180 to connect, not 184.
I have 184 + WPA Personal, never had any issues using the DD-WRT firmware on the Linksys WRT54GL.

I also tried the original linksys firmware and never had issues.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #180
tontoeman

Model: curve
Carrier: tmobile

I have decided today to buy a curve 8310. These posts confuse me ! haha. What i want to tknow is if i buy this curve, will i be able in some way to read and write chinese on it? Can anyone confirm me and refer me to any good, clear instructions. I have never owned a BB before so i dont know what to do

thank you!
Closed Thread