Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
malikmazhars
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Minor Crack on the Top edge of Curve

Please Login to Remove!

This is my second week of using my 8320 and I have been very very careful with this toy. And I just noticed that there is crack on the top corner at the front. Its on both sides and the one of the left is slightly larger then the one on the right.

Did anyone else had it?

No, I did not drop it, I keep it in a cover all the time.

Is there anything TMO can do? Replace perhaps?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikmazhars View Post
This is my second week of using my 8320 and I have been very very careful with this toy. And I just noticed that there is crack on the top corner at the front. Its on both sides and the one of the left is slightly larger then the one on the right.

Did anyone else had it?

They are not cracks, they are the result of RIM's poor quality control which is making the devices more and more plastic/light every day, what happened to go old days of the BB when they felt like they were rock solid, anyways...

If you look carefully, it's a rough polish material, like rubber on the top layer and underneath it, there is clean, shiny plastic, you can even take the top layer completely off with your finger nail, that's what I did when I though I had a crack

now it looks nice and shiny.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
malikmazhars
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can breath better but didnt dare to peel it more. Is the top layer somewhat hard? Coz from what you are saying it seems soft. I am talking about the Titanium layer(color I got from T-mobile)

I owned 7100 and dropped it about 50 times, in fact threw it intentionally once (admitting anger issues :D ) That thing does not have a single crack, there are some scratches but no crack.

This is pretty lame - if people can file a law suit against apple for making sensitive screens, why can't we do the same to bring RIM's quality back!!

I just went and bought a set of those Gel Covers, they look weird but I thought may be I bumped into a wall (no I didnt!) and it cracked!

So, what else should I expect? is it going to get even worse/long?

Last edited by malikmazhars; 02-05-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
digitalextremes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Robbers

Quote:
I can breath better but didnt dare to peel it more. Is the top layer somewhat hard? Coz from what you are saying it seems soft. I am talking about the Titanium layer(color I got from T-mobile)

I owned 7100 and dropped it about 50 times, in fact threw it intentionally once (admitting anger issues :D ) That thing does not have a single crack, there are some scratches but no crack.

This is pretty lame - if people can file a law suit against apple for making sensitive screens, why can't we do the same to bring RIM's quality back!!

I just went and bought a set of those Gel Covers, they look weird but I thought may be I bumped into a wall (no I didnt!) and it cracked!

So, what else should I expect? is it going to get even worse/long?
eventually, you'll get that on all 4 corners over time if that area of the BB is exposed to other objects, its very think layer like the electric tape clued on the clean shiny black plastic, pretty lame.

I think someone came up with the idea of shiny plastic and then he left the company or was fired and someone else tries to find mistakes in that person's work who left and recommended that we should cover the shiny plastic with rubber coating...and probably got promoted for that idea or got a salary increase and never cared to check the quality of work and consequences of putting a cheap layer of electric tape over a very smooth surface, and assumed that it should hold well. that's just genius.

Last edited by digitalextremes; 02-05-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Capt-Z

Model: 8310
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I actually logged in today to see if this was a known issue, sad to find that it is. I had my Pearl for over a year and took it everywhere and there wasn't a scratch on it.

This is so lame...
Old 02-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
platinumbabe

PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

Glad to find out that this is a know issue. I have had my phone a week and a piece od the plasic came off of the phone where it was cracked at the corner of the screen. I have not tried scraing it with my fingernail as i m scred i wll lose that corner of my phone too. Is there a lawsuit for this problem? I had my phone a week and took it bck to att and they wont take it back since they think i did the damage. Has anyone had any luck with this matter. Can you get insurance on this phone?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

You can not compare the durability of the 7xxx series with what Blackberry has today. My 7520 was still the MOST rugged device I have ever used. The plastic was the same nice color all the way thru so if you scratched the case, you cold not even see the damage.

I would sure like to have the electronics and screen of the 8820 inside the 7520 case!

Todays glitzy RIM devices are painted and use a thin softer plastic that in only a few short months is worn. I still go several 7520 units that I used for years and they look like the day the were pulled out of the box. The 8700 series was the start of RIM's new style devices and I still think it has gone down hill from then on.

Last edited by greggebhardt; 02-22-2008 at 06:17 AM..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
Capt-Z

Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I went back to point of sale after discussing with a csr over the phone, they switched me out with a new berry and I havnt had the issue again with this phone and I've had it now for about a month.

My thought is that some person or machine (not sure how these things are put together) tightened the corner a bit too much and it was a stress crack.

Fluke, Crappy QA, Dunno but they switched me out to a new one so I'm happy...

Hope they take care of your situation platinumbabe, Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
simone_B2

Carrier: ATT

Quote:

Did anyone else had it?

I had the exact same thing happening to my 8310 after 6 weeks. I had not dropped it or anything. The crack became worse over hours it seemed and then I started to notice the same crack on the left top cornet. I talked to Blackberry support tons of times and they were not helpful at all - since it was not a known issue they were not willing to exchange the blackberry after 6 weeks unless I paid for an out-of -warranty exchange. I refused to do that since I had just paid $399 for it. By now the entire top right corner has broken off and the left corner has developed the exact same problem. Is there anyone who has been succesful at getting his blackberry exchanged? (not by the carrier - they were not helpful either since it looked as if I had dropped the phone)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
simone_B2

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumbabe View Post
Glad to find out that this is a know issue. I have had my phone a week and a piece od the plasic came off of the phone where it was cracked at the corner of the screen. I have not tried scraing it with my fingernail as i m scred i wll lose that corner of my phone too. Is there a lawsuit for this problem? I had my phone a week and took it bck to att and they wont take it back since they think i did the damage. Has anyone had any luck with this matter. Can you get insurance on this phone?
same thing just happened to me about 3 months ago. and no - I was not successful in getting it returned. I basically spent $399 on the phone and then another $279 for an out-of -warranty exchange. I am really upset since the crack just appeared from one day to the other without having been dropped.
Closed Thread