Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #61
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

we have 97 computers in our company all are windows since thats what BBs sync to best
Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #62
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

2 PC's at home (one laptop one desktop) both running Linux... At work everything is Windows
Old 09-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #63
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I have windows in the walls and apples in my kitchen.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #64
jfox67
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
I agree with your statements 100%, The iPhone has some very nice features and will have a very loyal following as we do here for RIM products. I do think RIM has stumbled a few times with products and it appears they are now starting to evaluate the market both for Corportate users and general cell phone users. I feel the Pearl was an awesome leap into the regular retail market.
I'm not sure why anyone would disagree with this sentiment or why so many on this thread are crying blasphemy just because someone suggests that there may be things RIM can learn from the iphone. RIM has the best push email solution and business device in the world currently....that isn't likely to change near term. However they are in the business of selling phones and it would be irresponsible of them to ignore a product that clearly has mass consumer appeal. Aren't all those 17 year olds going to be young business people in a few years?

None of this is meant to suggest that RIM needs to mimic the iphone. I'm only stating what I think should be obvious and what I'm sure RIM is already doing; evaluating competing products and models to see if there are useful aspects that they can utilize to improve their own devices or to improve their sales/market share. Perhaps there is nothing useful at all in the iphone for RIM or their vision of future product offerings......but isn't it foolish of us to think that they are not doing their due diligence on it and other competing products/technologies?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #65
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

If someone can state the features on the iphone other than it has a touch screen and nice visual effects that out does the blackberry I will agree,but no one has came with the right answer. And you tube definitely doesn't count as business feature......
Old 09-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #66
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg00 View Post
Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

If someone can state the features on the iphone other than it has a touch screen and nice visual effects that out does the blackberry I will agree,but no one has came with the right answer. And you tube definitely doesn't count as business feature......
Ditto. And personally, touch screen is not a plus for me
Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #67
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox67 View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would disagree with this sentiment or why so many on this thread are crying blasphemy just because someone suggests that there may be things RIM can learn from the iphone. RIM has the best push email solution and business device in the world currently....that isn't likely to change near term. However they are in the business of selling phones and it would be irresponsible of them to ignore a product that clearly has mass consumer appeal. Aren't all those 17 year olds going to be young business people in a few years?

None of this is meant to suggest that RIM needs to mimic the iphone. I'm only stating what I think should be obvious and what I'm sure RIM is already doing; evaluating competing products and models to see if there are useful aspects that they can utilize to improve their own devices or to improve their sales/market share. Perhaps there is nothing useful at all in the iphone for RIM or their vision of future product offerings......but isn't it foolish of us to think that they are not doing their due diligence on it and other competing products/technologies?
But what has the iphone done to make so much better than the Blackberry

except have a interface that is nice. No removable memory, no removable battery, no keyboard, no email encryption, push email that is still not as good as BB, no mms,no 3rd party programs, no remote control of the handset, no uma, no real im, no voice dial, and this is the phone that needs to be looked at by Rim. IF anything Apple needs to look at other companies.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #68
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
HAHAHA, don't make me laugh. Sure the BB is great, but the interface and features of the iphone blow away anything RIM has now. The only thing BB has on the iphone is the keypad.
i don't like this statement, therefor i am going to respond to it:

If iphone interface is SOOO cool, then where is the wallpaper ? Where are the themes ? Wtf do ppl have to pay to get software or pay itunes to get a custom ringtone to work ?

Apple's a deceptive little money-making machine. Did you ever stop to think about that ?

RIM's only proprietary thing over all these years has been push technology. Everything else they gave the thumbs up to (regarding 3rd party apps & all). Makes you think a little "why is apple so locked down, so picky about who can make what software for it ?).

Also, why do they have such a hard-on to brick ppl's iphones because they chose to use a carrier other than at&t ?
Seriously, i have never seen any other company issue an update that will render their device unusable (for any reason). Furthermore, i have never seen any company or carrier throw such a sh!t-fit about it.... Its a global epidemic, ppl buy the phone they want and unlock it to use it on the carrier of their choice. It happens all the time. Why didn't other carriers/manufacturers try to stop these ppl ?

THINK
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #69
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
i don't like this statement, therefor i am going to respond to it:

If iphone interface is SOOO cool, then where is the wallpaper ? Where are the themes ? Wtf do ppl have to pay to get software or pay itunes to get a custom ringtone to work ?

Apple's a deceptive little money-making machine. Did you ever stop to think about that ?

RIM's only proprietary thing over all these years has been push technology. Everything else they gave the thumbs up to (regarding 3rd party apps & all). Makes you think a little "why is apple so locked down, so picky about who can make what software for it ?).

Also, why do they have such a hard-on to brick ppl's iphones because they chose to use a carrier other than at&t ?
Seriously, i have never seen any other company issue an update that will render their device unusable (for any reason). Furthermore, i have never seen any company or carrier throw such a sh!t-fit about it.... Its a global epidemic, ppl buy the phone they want and unlock it to use it on the carrier of their choice. It happens all the time. Why didn't other carriers/manufacturers try to stop these ppl ?

THINK
Some buy into the brainwashing and zombie like hand over fists full of cash, not really knowing why... Can you imagine if we had to send our BB back to RIM for a new (overpriced) battery???

Now that makes me laugh!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #70
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg00 View Post
But what has the iphone done to make so much better than the Blackberry
1. The interface, say what you will, but most people like touch screens. Even Nokia, which has gone on record in the past as hating them, has come around to them.

2. HTML email - I know there are 3rd party solutions for BB, but in this day and age, there is no reason RIM shouldn't support this natively.

3. Browser - The BB browser is primitive at best, the iphone browser allows you to use the real internet on your mobile.

4. Better media support - RIM is trying here, but its far from good.

Given this am I ready to ditch my 8830 for the iphone, not yet. The sealed battery is a deal breaker for me. Could RIM incorporate some of these features into BB, absolutely.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #71
zero7404

Quote:
3. Browser - The BB browser is primitive at best, the iphone browser allows you to use the real internet on your mobile.
actually, bb browsers have gotten significantly more advanced in very short time. i wouldn't be surprises if RIMs software end snags and runs with it, to turn it into the most powerful mobile phone web browser.

currently it can't do flash, just like the mobile-phone version of safari, but it will allow you to make it emulate other more popular web browsers, which i think is cool.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #72
zero7404

in the end, all kinds of companies have all kinds of intense affairs to deal with. is it coincidence that Apple's affairs came out and sat in front of everyone's face for everyone to see in plain sight ?

i think the attention stems from the way they do business. iphone price cut and timing is a prime-time example.

i believe when last i saw a figure, apple stuff accounts for about 3% of all that's out there. for this small number, i thank the mass of ppl that are NOT gullible and cannot be easily brainwashed. keep up the good work.

in the end, i guess, this is all just small talk....
Old 09-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #73
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

These iphone arguments kill me. I still can't get over the people who get a blackberry and then want it to be something else.

RIM studies the market just like any other company and comes up with product solutions based on its analysis of the constraints of the marketplace and the technology. Factored into that solution is RIM's guiding design philosophy and principles. It isn't narrow minded to think highly of RIM's way of doing things and disagree with the notion that it would be smart on RIM's part to learn from the iphone.

It's been said before and it deserves repeating. Different strokes....
Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #74
zero7404

i think this thread is fantastic....I'm going to scroll down to the bottom and rate it top honors.

Apple makes aggressive moves in the tech arena...its gonna be fun seeing all this play out.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #75
Wickwire

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
HAHAHA, don't make me laugh. Sure the BB is great, but the interface and features of the iphone blow away anything RIM has now. The only thing BB has on the iphone is the keypad.

Sure Bud..... Your Carrier is Sprint... go back to 20 minute hold times to speak to a Rep and your 150.00 account spending limit...
Old 09-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #76
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickwire View Post
Sure Bud..... Your Carrier is Sprint... go back to 20 minute hold times to speak to a Rep and your 150.00 account spending limit...
Huh? Anytime I've had to use Sprint CS my hold time has been less then 5 minutes. And I know nothing of this $150 account spending limit you speak of.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:12 AM   #77
jfox67

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

These iphone arguments kill me. I still can't get over the people who get a blackberry and then want it to be something else.

RIM studies the market just like any other company and comes up with product solutions based on its analysis of the constraints of the marketplace and the technology. Factored into that solution is RIM's guiding design philosophy and principles. It isn't narrow minded to think highly of RIM's way of doing things and disagree with the notion that it would be smart on RIM's part to learn from the iphone.

It's funny imho you miss the point with your first paragraph, make the counter point with your next two sentences and then go back to missing it again thereafter.

This isn't an iphone v. blackberry argument. You and many other posters are probably right...there may be nothing at all about the iphone that RIM finds useful or fits its "guiding design philosophy". But it is absolutely narrow minded to think they are so arrogant as to not at least make that determination through due diligence and careful analysis.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #78
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox67
Quote:

It's funny imho you miss the point with your first paragraph, make the counter point with your next two sentences and then go back to missing it again thereafter.

This isn't an iphone v. blackberry argument. You and many other posters are probably right...there may be nothing at all about the iphone that RIM finds useful or fits its "guiding design philosophy". But it is absolutely narrow minded to think they are so arrogant as to not at least make that determination through due diligence and careful analysis.
Your right I don't get it, especially your last sentence....
Old 09-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #79
jfox67

Quote:

Your right I don't get it, especially your last sentence....
Ok, well I'm not sure what specifically about the last sentence has you so befuddled but it wouldn't be the first time my ramblings seemed clear only to me.

I guess a simpler way to find common ground would be to ask you this; Disregarding your opinion of the iphone itself, do you think RIM has spent any time analyzing the features, form, technology, marketing strategy or any other aspects of the product or it's launch?

If your answer is yes, then we are saying the same thing. If no, then we'll have to agree to disagree (but I'll be right)
Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #80
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfox67 View Post
Ok, well I'm not sure what specifically about the last sentence has you so befuddled but it wouldn't be the first time my ramblings seemed clear only to me.

I guess a simpler way to find common ground would be to ask you this; Disregarding your opinion of the iphone itself, do you think RIM has spent any time analyzing the features, form, technology, marketing strategy or any other aspects of the product or it's launch?

If your answer is yes, then we are saying the same thing. If no, then we'll have to agree to disagree (but I'll be right)
Look, as far as my first post in this thread, I'm sticking by what I said. In post #1, rambo47 starts with query about 9XXX speculation. By post #7, EvolutionCSR comes in with, "8xxx series already kicks apple's but in this area..." Yeah, smiley and all, but yet another BB vs iphone argument is launched, with retort from serrano_yejo in post #10, and so on, and so on, and so on.

On your point, jfox67, first expressed in post #64, well, duh!, what developer/manufacturer doesn't study the competition. It is obvious, so obvious it should go without needing to be debated.

What I fault is the assumptions some seem to be making--for instance that Apple or whatever manufacturer is clearly the leader here, and RIM better follow or it's doomed--or the assumption that RIM hasn't thought about or is ignorant of some technology or marketing methods employed by Apple or other competitors and therefore has to learn from its competitors. That's *my* point: RIM is pursuing buyers of its products according to its strategy. Does it analyze its competitors, of course! Will RIM use what works best and fulfills its product concepts? Sure, if it isn't patented or somehow unavailble.

Since I don't get *It*, this impression I'm getting from some of you may be wrong. Maybe I'm the one reading too much into what you are writing, and making my own bad assumptions.