Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Pseudo-Fed
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default View .xls Files Saved to Card?

Please Login to Remove!

I can view .txt files I save in mass storage mode to my media card on my 8310. However, .xls files give an error. These Excel files view just fine when attached to an email. I also have Beamberry installed on the machine, but it is not an option when in "explore" mode on the device.

Is there a way I can view .xls files from the media card? Would make the device even MORE useful for me! Thanks....
8900 on AT&T BIS

http://twitter.com/nittwidder
Old 10-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

They can only be viewed as attached to an email as you described.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo-Fed View Post
I can view .txt files I save in mass storage mode to my media card on my 8310. However, .xls files give an error. These Excel files view just fine when attached to an email. I also have Beamberry installed on the machine, but it is not an option when in "explore" mode on the device.

Is there a way I can view .xls files from the media card? Would make the device even MORE useful for me! Thanks....
RIM really has to do some thing about this. In order for the media card to be truly useful, you should be able to store or access any file or program from this card, not just media files, as it is now. Palm lets you do this and I find it frustrating BB does not.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Pseudo-Fed

Or at least are there any 3rd party apps that will read from there? "Open with Beamberry" is not even an option. I find it odd that I can save to and open a .txt file from there, but not the .xls file.
8900 on AT&T BIS

Old 10-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I still say it's a securrity deal, where the SD card is not that protected as the device memory.

Ardon, Palm may do it, but look where look where they are headed. They a do a lot, badly. Even with all the new devices and consumer add-ons, RIM has stayed true to mobile email and secure devices. If they falter on those two, they loose the core of their business.

Any file? Say even CAD drawings and 4gb Photoshop files we deal with in our business? The BlackBerry is not a laptop (let alone a desktop PC), you can't treat it as such, or expect from it a similar experience.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Pseudo-Fed

Uh, Jsanders, maybe I'm missing something, but I can load and read .txt files from a folder I create on the media card. For security, how's that any different than an .xls with the same content. And in my case it is the same content. I have an .xls file I need for reference. I created the .txt equivalent and can load it to and read it from my created subfolder on the media card. What's the difference?
8900 on AT&T BIS

Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am hoping they allow viewing from the mem card of the standard type office docs (pdf, doc, xls, etc) in OS 4.3, that would be a nice feature to have. I like having common docs on the mem card to send out to customers, but sometimes I forget which one exactly and it would be nice to bring it up real quick to make sure I'm sending the right one.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Guys

You're missing a point - the bit that converts the word/xls document is the BIS or BES server not the device, this is why you can add/change the attachment distillers in BES...

SD cards are a fairly new thing to BB, and no doubt at some time in the future they might look at a way of supporting those file types, but for now I would check out eOffice and see if that meets your needs.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Jeff, I am not debating the issue with you, just 'my opinion' on why that capability is not present. Would I like to have it? Yes. But I still think RIM's priority is the security of the device, whether or not we ever get to open, edit, save and send text, xls, pdf, etc., from the SD card.

But you can't save a text file from an email to the device or SD memory, and reopen it, can you?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Jeff, I am not debating the issue with you, just 'my opinion' on why that capability is not present. Would I like to have it? Yes. But I still think RIM's priority is the security of the device, whether or not we ever get to open, edit, save and send text, xls, pdf, etc., from the SD card.

But you can't save a text file from an email to the device or SD memory, and reopen it, can you?
I doubt security has anything to do with it. The media card is a fairly recent add on and the BB OS has simply not caught up to this feature.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
Pseudo-Fed

Just kinda disappointing that "mass storage" view is a feature, and viewing common doc types is a feature, but you can't combine the feature. Just missing this connection to be a little more seamless. I realize memory is an issue, and not all models have SD card expansion, so device resident files and the capability to read them is not a primary goal for RIM. Just would be nice if these two features were connected.
8900 on AT&T BIS

Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
Malkier

Model: 8310
Carrier: ALL

Hang on, back it up a sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo-Fed View Post
I can view .txt files I save in mass storage mode to my media card on my 8310.
You can? to my knowledge, its media only....
Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Edhoru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TELCEL

I thinkd efile can do it

eFile is a new type of file manager and launcher for the BlackBerry platform., DynoPlex Inc.

it's free and it's only for viewing, for editing you need eoffice wich cost but have a trial version
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
Pseudo-Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkier View Post
Hang on, back it up a sec.

You can? to my knowledge, its media only....

Nope, can stick all the .txt files I want, create folders for them, etc. I ended up changing a reference spreadsheet I carry around to .txt format (was just 2 columns), and now I carry that. Try it. This is why I asked why if a .txt reader exists on the device and goes to the card, why not the other doc types the device supports?
8900 on AT&T BIS

Old 10-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Pseudo-Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edhoru View Post
I thinkd efile can do it

eFile is a new type of file manager and launcher for the BlackBerry platform., DynoPlex Inc.

it's free and it's only for viewing, for editing you need eoffice wich cost but have a trial version

Downloaded and tried Masterdoc, including Efile. It CANNOT read native format files. It does allow you to detach and save native or in its converted format. But nothing lets you read native .xls, .ppt, .jpg, .doc, etc. from the media card. .txt file DO work.
8900 on AT&T BIS

Closed Thread