BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
nzdreamer55
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Need help with Media sync-grayed out playlist, not transfering all songs from a playl

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

So I just discovered Media sync and I thought, "What a great thing!" So I installed it to my computer and have had many problems and as of this morning 1 success. I'm hoping that there is someone out there that can help me figure this out. Here is the background info:

Computer-HP pavilion with multiple hard drives installed.
Computer OS XP SP2
Itunes 8.2.
Windows media player 11
Media sync 2.0.0.27
BB Storm 9530 / 4.7.122
Music files- About 10,000-None purchased from Itunes or other music services. All ripped from owned CD's using Itunes to mp3 files

File storage: MP3s are on a different drive than the c: for my computer. They are at this location Z:\Itunes\Music.

Itunes and windows media player both play all the music and create playlists without any problems.

BB Storm settings-
Media card support: on
Encryption mode: none
MTP: on
Mass Media Mode Support: on
Auto Enable Mass Media Mode when connected: Yes
Media card free space: 3.1GB

Some things have worked while others don't. I was hoping to just itunes (as much as I dislike it) to create playlists and sync them to the BB with media sync.

Just a note: I don't use the BB Desktop manager in conjunction with BB Media sync

First I tried Launching the BB Media sync application and set it to itunes. It found all my playlists, however most were grayed out so I could not check them. The only thing that was not was the podcast playlist.

I then restarted everything and launched Itunes to create a new playlist called Test with 20 files from different artist and albums-media sync found this and synced 4 of the songs and told me the others could not be synced because they could not be played on the BB.

I started windows media player and imported all of my music into it (this does not copy the music, only allows WMP to "know where these files are and adds them to the WMP library). I created a test playlist and this morning and the files synced to my BB. I did have to do a battery pull after sync so that the BB Media app would find these files.

I can find the individual synced MP3 files and play them using the media app on my BB but I cannot find the "playlist".

That is where I thought, someone out there must have the same problem that I have and maybe they have solved it!

Questions:

1) Why are my playlists grayed out when I try to sync using itunes as the "target" rather than WMP?

2) Why won't itunes sync all of my music in a playlist?

3) Where is the playlist on my BB?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Steve
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Are your songs DRM protected?

Do you know what the size of your playlists actually are? Media Sync has a setting where it limits the amount of space it can use on the Media. I would try transferring small playlists first and work your way up.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
nzdreamer55
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Are your songs DRM protected?
I'm not sure. If I ripped all of my CD's using itunes would they be DRM protected?

Quote:
Do you know what the size of your playlists actually are?
Well the first list that I tried was 20 songs (lets say 4MB/song x 20 songs that's 80MB). My BB has 3.1 GB of free space so I think that they should fit.

Quote:
Media Sync has a setting where it limits the amount of space it can use on the Media. I would try transferring small playlists first and work your way up.
So the sync with Media Sync set to windows media library seems to work as of this morning, however I was hoping to use itunes (so I don't have to use 2 programs to manage my music)

>I started windows media player and imported all of my music into it (this does not copy the music, only allows WMP to "know where these files are and adds them to the WMP library). I created a test playlist of 20 songs using WMP this morning and the files synced to my BB. I did have to do a battery pull after sync so that the BB Media app would find these files.

What do you think about the grayed out playlists when itunes library is selected in Media sync?

How do I check if my MP3s have a DRM?

Thanks again for the help

Steve
Closed Thread