Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint
Default Morning after pill

Please Login to Remove!

I debated adding to the abortion thread with this but in the end i decided this was a "horse of a different color" if you will.

FDA to allow morning-after pill over the counter for 17-year-olds - CNN.com

hmmmm i'm going to have to sleep on this one. i'll let you know in the coming days.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

... 17 year olds... Isn't that just great.. (Can you just feel the sarcasm from there right?)

Yea I can see the abortion thread and this getting intertwined after a while.

-------

I don't know... It should be used responsibly, not just because you can. Granted you probably won't find a mature 17 for miles and miles...

but the same is true for adults....

People make mistakes and have "O $hit" moments.., not to mention the off situations of rape and so forth. So I suppose the pill is excecptable in those situations.

By no means I am saying it's a great thing but people still need to responsible after it won't protect from STD's AIDs and shit.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

That's a tough one dmead. I guess my response is that it should be available.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

wow, 17 year olds? actually, i can't really say much, because over here anyone can buy it. hardly would you find a drugstore that would ask for your id. legal age is 18.

still, i'm not sure if this is really a good option. i just find it kinda scary.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

I agree, it is kind of scary that they option is available now. I read the article. All this does is lower the age for over the counter from 18 to 17. But they are still debating whether or not to have any age restriction at all!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
SteveO86

If they remove the age restriction completely... I just give up..

---

Perhaps parental consent should be required? But then again kids will probably find a way around or not even bother if it involves their parents (but consider the alternative)

I guess kids will be generally stupid... Now if we start seeing a mass outbreak of STD's/AIDs there will be a bigger problem.. Part of me wants to say they did it to themselves but then again they don't know any better (or don't care to know any better)

--

Now forgive my ignorance on this Morning After/Plan B pill 100% effective?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

I believe that there is research that suggests that use of the Morning After pill is not something that is regularly used as a form of birth control. That is, a woman may use it once after a mistake and have a bit of a "come to Jesus" reaction where she and her partner get with the program and adopt a better form of birth control.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Giselle9938

Model: none
Carrier: a Cheap company that I'll leave very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Now if we start seeing a mass outbreak of STD's/AIDs there will be a bigger problem..
This problem is growing day after day On Sunday's I work as a volunteer with teenagers on my Church and you won't believe all the stories I hear from this kids. They will see this like a green light to have sex without any protection.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I have mixed feelings about this issue.

On one hand, I am apposed to after-the-fact birth control on principle.

On the other, I am also opposed to young people who are not old/mature enough to live on their own and support a child, having babies. Irrespective of anything else -- promiscuity, rape, ignorance, whatever -- it is wrong for children to be having children.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
strike2tamu

Model: 8900

I am def against abortion, but feel this would prevent killing a pretty developed form, I think this is a good idea. Wonder what the pricing will be.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #11
CoDudette

the morning after pill is not a 'good' regular alternative. if you've been stupid once, fair enough. if you've had 'mishaps' again, fair enough, but if you're just plain stupid and can't use any form of protection.. then i have no words.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

The problem I have is they are taking a pill designed to kill a baby/fetus what ever you want to call it. This in and of its self can not be good for you, what other permanent side effects does it have. What have the lobbyist paid FDA officials to ignore. And don't tell me this doesn't happen.

What are the long term effects? A medical abortion is one thing but a pill is something very different.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giselle9938 View Post
This problem is growing day after day On Sunday's I work as a volunteer with teenagers on my Church and you won't believe all the stories I hear from this kids. They will see this like a green light to have sex without any protection.
That would be a major problem because you are correct that is how alot of kids will feel about. I could only imagine the stories you hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
I have mixed feelings about this issue.

On one hand, I am apposed to after-the-fact birth control on principle.

On the other, I am also opposed to young people who are not old/mature enough to live on their own and support a child, having babies. Irrespective of anything else -- promiscuity, rape, ignorance, whatever -- it is wrong for children to be having children.
Pretty conflicting beliefs there However is anyone truly ready/preped to have a child?

Granted you definition of young is probably a teenager correct? Then by all means I do agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
the morning after pill is not a 'good' regular alternative. if you've been stupid once, fair enough. if you've had 'mishaps' again, fair enough, but if you're just plain stupid and can't use any form of protection.. then i have no words.
Very true there isn't too much else to say about, people will hear the first line and that will be it, after that they will go deaf and not hear the disclaimers or risks..

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #14
CoDudette

speaking from personal experience, i've used it only ONCE, and it was enough to make me realise that it was the stupidest alternative. i'd rather not resort to something like this.. UNLESS it was an emergency.

back to topic, if they do remove the age restriction, it's going to create havoc. 13-14 year olds aren't even sexually mature, and imagine, they're having unprotected sex, and then requesting for the morning after pill over the counter! please i'd be shuddering if i was present when a kid is asking for a pill..

it's sad how kids wanna grow up and 'do it' cause 'everyone else is doin' it'. it's sadder that they probably aren't even fully aware of WHY the morning after pill isn't a 'regular' alternative.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
strike2tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
The problem I have is they are taking a pill designed to kill a baby/fetus what ever you want to call it. This in and of its self can not be good for you, what other permanent side effects does it have. What have the lobbyist paid FDA officials to ignore. And don't tell me this doesn't happen.

What are the long term effects? A medical abortion is one thing but a pill is something very different.
I agree it probably has some pretty bad side effects, but shouldnt people living that lifestyle (taking the pill numerous times) have to pay some sort of price?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike2tamu View Post
...shouldnt people living that lifestyle (taking the pill numerous times) have to pay some sort of price?
I'm sure they already do, any potential health concerns aside.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
dmead

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!
Carrier: Sprint

i have decided that i am against lowering the age. I don't like the idea. However that being said i wonder how many 17 year olds (male or female) pay enough attention to the news that they even know it is now available to them.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
strike2tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
I'm sure they already do, any potential health concerns aside.
As it should be.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #19
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

it might be a twisted way of population control, welfare control. since most kids are ignorant and unable to deal with life, they want kids, yet cant support them etc.

allowing this lowers what? more teens supported by tax dollars.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
allowing this lowers what? more teens supported by tax dollars.
Ouch that's pretty cold statement..

Teens will be more exposed to health issues.. and will act with less responsible then they are acting with now. I find it very hard to condone this pill to teenagers.. It will just make the coming generations more ignorant/stupid/irresponsible.

I mean its a good invention and has purposes... but it's something that should be found in the medicine cabinet of every house hold in America...
(Of course they probably said that about TV/Computers....)

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread