Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default A Bigger Tent?

Please Login to Remove!

Will Michael Steele be allowed to implement his vision of a Republican Party that is more inclusive, or will he be shot down? I sure hope that he can bring some of those changes to the GOP.

GQ Blog on men.style.com

Last edited by djm2; 03-12-2009 at 05:46 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

"You made the comment at the convention about the sea of white faces. And you got a little bit of heat for that.
I sure did. And I looked at the people who gave me the heat and said, xxx8220;Whatxxx8217;s your problem? You tell me Ixxx8217;m wrong. Look at the room. Thirty-six black folks in the room? What, are you kidding me? Out of 4,000 people? Come on!xxx8221;"

I loved that comment and I really like Michael Steele. I hope he can make the changes that are needed. I think as usual the loudest of the Republicans are going to oppose opening things up though.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

He should be looking for fiscally conservative, socially moderate Republicans. They're out there. Lots of them. Their voice has been surpressed in recent years. I think that's what he wants to do. Good luck with that.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

I'm fully behind him on it.

Steele is continuing a theme brought forward (and criticized for) by late great GOP Chairman, activist and operative Lee Atwater, rest his brilliant soul.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
He should be looking for fiscally conservative, socially moderate Republicans. They're out there. Lots of them. Their voice has been surpressed in recent years. I think that's what he wants to do. Good luck with that.
+1. I'm one of these Republicans, and couldn't agree more.

I don't want the government in my wallet OR in my personal life.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
test54
BlackBerry Master

So if you were Michael Steele, what changes or issues would you specifically emphasize to change the party?

Last edited by test54; 03-13-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
So if you were Michael Steele, what changes or issues would you specifically emphasize to change the party?
Well, personally, I'd step away from the social platform entirely. The economic situation in this country is THE problem now, you know? We can either take steps to curb spending now, or we can watch the nation implode. All other issues are secondary if that happens.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

I like your approach but that's nothing new, I think that's the main focus of the GOP at the moment. I think Steele's mission has to have long term goals though, just curious to see what changes are proposed to get those "fiscally conservative, socially moderate Republicans" to both vote and to help get more members.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
kathrynhr

Quote:
... help get more members.
That will be the biggest challenge. The GOP has turned off so many people with their polarity and over-focus on social issues that many fiscal conservatives now identify with the Democratic party instead (Blue Dogs).

Few people seem to recall that the root of the word conservative is "conserve."
Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
test54
BlackBerry Master

The Blue Dogs are to me what the Republicans should move towards. My district has a Blue Dog Congressman (D- Heath Shuler), and although he is not 100% popular with both conservatives or liberals he is able to best represent the district which is split.

Growing the party is the hardest thing, I agree. I'm just curious to see people's opinions on what is the best course for growing the party - for either party really.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
+1. I'm one of these Republicans, and couldn't agree more.

I don't want the government in my wallet OR in my personal life.
I am also one of those Republicans.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
I am also one of those Republicans.
Me too.

I like Steele's attempts to challenge some of the problems in our party. I don't particularly care for his comment about the number of blacks at the convention because, for some, it validates their belief that Republicans are racist. There is no doubt we've lost the support of minorities through liberal propaganda and we need to turn that around. He could have handled that differently.

The other day a friend of mine said we lost minorities because Republicans always take care of the rich. For one, that's a fallacy, and two, people seem to forget that the government doesn't create jobs, private companies do.

The party would be better off with some transparency in our policies. We all know why some are good and some are bad, but they are never fully explained either way and are left to interpretation.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

But what are the problems? If its obvious that the party needs a new path or needs to change then what specifically is needed?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Personally I believe that the path can be determined, at least in part, by re-visiting F. A. Hayek's classic book, The Road to Serfdom.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #15
kathrynhr

If I were President:

Birth Control: Please. PLEASE! It's too damn crowded on I-75 already.

Death Penalty: By all means. I'm for harsh, public punishments. There's a reason no one steals things in Saudi Arabia. I will employ a Saudi law expert in my cabinet to give me new ideas.

Drugs: It's called natural selection, people. If we just back off, we will all get a glimpse of population control at it's finest.

Education: The Department of Education will be abolished. Every year, both teachers and students at all levels will sit a national exit exam. Students who fail will repeat the same school year again. Teachers who fail will repeat their college degrees.

Environment: As a Christian, I believe human beings were created to be caretakers of the planet. To argue (and let's face it, it's mostly the religious right arguing) that we now need to drill for more oil, that we should throw up a few nuclear reactors, that we should use food for fuel while people starve in other nations... all of these are an un-Christian lie, and you should be ashamed of yourself. The only energy it makes sense to embrace is nature's energy harnessed - solar, wind, geo and water. Anyone who disagrees will surrender his automobile and be issued a dunce cap and a bicycle.

Global Warming: It's happening. End of story. Anyone who disagrees will be relocated to the Alaskan polar bear reserve. For solutions, see "Environment" above.

Gun Control: I believe the intent of the constitution was to give private men equal firepower to what the government has, so that they could rise up against government (again) if government became tyrannical. I am convinced of my own rightness but I want my people to feel free to shoot me should I become a tyrant, and to do that they need guns. Guns stay.

Health Care: I am in favor of a baseline level of care being free and available to all, courtesy of my government. Spend beyond that amount and it's probably your time to go anyway.

Immigration: If you're here, you can stay. To everyone else: thanks but no thanks, we're closing the borders TODAY. You want in to get a job? You must have BOTH a work visa AND an accredited college degree that we can verify (from either your nation or ours, I'm not picky). No papers? I hear Canada is hiring. Don't let the door hit you.

Iraq: If you want us, you can either hire us as "consultants," or we will offer pro bono advice via the ambassador's office. Your choice. Otherwise, we're outta there. It's been fun, but this is too damn expensive, and we have hurricane season coming.

Social security: Cutting benefits is not an option, as they're already to low to "secure" anybody. Retirement age must be adjusted upward. If people are living up to 130, they should not be living off the government from 65 onward. (Duh.)

Taxes: There will be a national sales tax. With the exceptions of food, clothing, shelter and transportation, all items bought and sold will be subject to this tax. No individual or entity will be exempted, including my government. The IRS will be abolished. Tax evaders will be prosecuted, and will work off their tax bills making low-cost American-made items to compete with foreign "sweat shops."

Trade: By all means, let's trade. Your goods are equally subject to all our taxes and standards, and your businesses equally.subject to our labor laws. If you can't deal with that, you can't deal with me. Period.

See? Wasn't that easy? Problems solved.

Where's my coffee?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
If I were President:

Birth Control: Please. PLEASE! It's too damn crowded on I-75 already.

Death Penalty: By all means. I'm for harsh, public punishments. There's a reason no one steals things in Saudi Arabia. I will employ a Saudi law expert in my cabinet to give me new ideas.

Drugs: It's called natural selection, people. If we just back off, we will all get a glimpse of population control at it's finest.

Education: The Department of Education will be abolished. Every year, both teachers and students at all levels will sit a national exit exam. Students who fail will repeat the same school year again. Teachers who fail will repeat their college degrees.

Environment: As a Christian, I believe human beings were created to be caretakers of the planet. To argue (and let's face it, it's mostly the religious right arguing) that we now need to drill for more oil, that we should throw up a few nuclear reactors, that we should use food for fuel while people starve in other nations... all of these are an un-Christian lie, and you should be ashamed of yourself. The only energy it makes sense to embrace is nature's energy harnessed - solar, wind, geo and water. Anyone who disagrees will surrender his automobile and be issued a dunce cap and a bicycle.

Global Warming: It's happening. End of story. Anyone who disagrees will be relocated to the Alaskan polar bear reserve. For solutions, see "Environment" above.

Gun Control: I believe the intent of the constitution was to give private men equal firepower to what the government has, so that they could rise up against government (again) if government became tyrannical. I am convinced of my own rightness but I want my people to feel free to shoot me should I become a tyrant, and to do that they need guns. Guns stay.

Health Care: I am in favor of a baseline level of care being free and available to all, courtesy of my government. Spend beyond that amount and it's probably your time to go anyway.

Immigration: If you're here, you can stay. To everyone else: thanks but no thanks, we're closing the borders TODAY. You want in to get a job? You must have BOTH a work visa AND an accredited college degree that we can verify (from either your nation or ours, I'm not picky). No papers? I hear Canada is hiring. Don't let the door hit you.

Iraq: If you want us, you can either hire us as "consultants," or we will offer pro bono advice via the ambassador's office. Your choice. Otherwise, we're outta there. It's been fun, but this is too damn expensive, and we have hurricane season coming.

Social security: Cutting benefits is not an option, as they're already to low to "secure" anybody. Retirement age must be adjusted upward. If people are living up to 130, they should not be living off the government from 65 onward. (Duh.)

Taxes: There will be a national sales tax. With the exceptions of food, clothing, shelter and transportation, all items bought and sold will be subject to this tax. No individual or entity will be exempted, including my government. The IRS will be abolished. Tax evaders will be prosecuted, and will work off their tax bills making low-cost American-made items to compete with foreign "sweat shops."

Trade: By all means, let's trade. Your goods are equally subject to all our taxes and standards, and your businesses equally.subject to our labor laws. If you can't deal with that, you can't deal with me. Period.

See? Wasn't that easy? Problems solved.

Where's my coffee?

If you dont have skelotons in the closet I would def vote for you on all these platforms.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
test54
BlackBerry Master

I agree with 10 of 13.
But as a so-called "Liberal Democrat" that might be surprising to some.

the three I don't agree with:
Gun Control: Not sure where it says that we should be able to arm ourselves with equal firepower as our government.

Immigration: why a visa & college degree? I agree with legal visas but the college degree seems counter-productive since that will prop up the non-college educated american. Are you wanting only professionals to be allowed into the US?

Trade: Not sure imposing your taxes if they are high would do anything good. No problem with standards & labor laws if they are reasonable. But high taxes on imports brings about isolationism which is never good. The world can trade without us, we are not the crucial trade partner we once were.

But I like to see a republican talking universal healthcare, changing drug laws, get out of Iraq, Sales tax and big environmental changes. Kudos to you for all of those points.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
kathrynhr

Quote:
Gun Control: Not sure where it says that we should be able to arm ourselves with equal firepower as our government.
Declaration of Independence, paragraph 2:

... when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. ...

That is why the second amendment exists.

Quote:
Immigration: why a visa & college degree? I agree with legal visas but the college degree seems counter-productive since that will prop up the non-college educated american. Are you wanting only professionals to be allowed into the US?
Yes. Absolutely. If an American can do a job, then an American should. It is our country, and we should step up.

Quote:
Trade: Not sure imposing your taxes if they are high would do anything good. No problem with standards & labor laws if they are reasonable. But high taxes on imports brings about isolationism which is never good. The world can trade without us, we are not the crucial trade partner we once were.
All goods should be taxed equally, whether they are American- or foreign-made.

Quote:
But I like to see a republican talking universal healthcare, changing drug laws, get out of Iraq, Sales tax and big environmental changes. Kudos to you for all of those points.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #19
test54
BlackBerry Master

The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - I just see it differently.

The Immigration thing would only hurt the country intellectually in the long run. Its just a philosophical difference, I think that over the 220 years immigrants whether college educated or not have helped this country prosper both economically and culturally.

Taxes on imports as long as consistent with our own goods will not hurt but raising taxes to a higher level to protect American businesses does hurt.

But I do like "Your Republican Party".

Last edited by test54; 03-13-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
The Second Amendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - I just see it differently.

The Immigration thing would only hurt the country intellectually in the long run. Its just a philosophical difference, I think that over the 220 years immigrants whether college educated or not have helped this country prosper both economically and culturally.

Taxes on imports as long as consistent with our own goods will not hurt but raising taxes to a higher level to protect American businesses does hurt.

But I do like "Your Republican Party".

Other countrys already have such a policy. I wanted to move to Ireland I had to prove I could do a job that no other Irishman could do in order to get a work visa.

Quote:
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
And they are being infringed on by taking away my right to keep what ever kind of weapon I want. I dont see how you can read this any other way. Its in plain english.
Closed Thread