Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
TheSonicGod

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Contacts as Categories

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue I desperately need your help with. I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this to, so if not please advise and accept my apology.

Today I was advised by one of my help desk people that he had deleted a contact list on our exchange server by accident and that it was in our public folders.

I have discovered that he deleted the corporate client list of over 7000 contacts. I have also discovered that this public folder was not in any of our backups in the last 6 months.

I have found the list on a users storm2 who is not currently connected to our BESx. He apparently used BB desktop manager to sync it with the public folder.

I have tried to sync it back but it does not sync back as the folder is not accessible anymore. I also tried to hook it up to a new clean system and still does not sync to a clean PST.

I have discovered that most of the contacts are actually held as categories on the device.

My question is how can i get these items off and into a users outlook or as something I can copy or export back into a new public folder.

I was debating on joining this device to our BESx server but I was not sure if that will wipe the unit or even if the server would be able to move these items since they show on the device as categories.

I have been working on this issue for 19 hours straight now and I am at a loss. The only other option I might have but I am not sure if it is even possible is using a IPD reader/extraction program, but again they show as categories so I am not sure it will be able to pull them either.

I really do not want to fire this person as we all make mistakes but if I can not recover this contact list the prez will for sure advise me to do this. So any help here would be appreciated.

Please help if you have any advice.

thanks in advance,

TheSonicGod
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Default Re: Contacts as Categories

I would do a full backup of the device before attempting anything.

activating will not wipe the device, but those contacts might not sync over since it was done on Desktop manager and IIRC it is a one way sync.

Are you sure no one has a copy of those contacts in an OST that has not connected to exchange yet?

worst case is get a fast typer to enter them back in
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
TheSonicGod

thanks knottyrope

already have a backup and a copy for the device - it was actually the one I was looking at via IPD reader.

if I was to remove the categories on the device would that make them normal again?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

i dont know what would make it work, never been in that situation.

try it and see
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
TheSonicGod

removed the categories and same issue - will not sync
Closed Thread