Old 01-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default MA - the GOP wins!

Please Login to Remove!

Wonder of wonders, MA has elected a Republican tot he US Senate - the seat formerly held by Ted Kennedy. The first Republican so elected since 1972 in an overwhelmingly Democratic state.

Anyone want to discuss the impact?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

While Obama will be blamed I think the general behavior of the Democratic controlled congress has turned off quite a few people.

On the other hand the Democratic candidate may have been a real loser even before the election. The selection was not for the best but for the least worst.

Real question will be if this makes any difference.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I agree with TBOLT. Regardless of party lines, I think no one really wants a super majority. No good could come out of that regardless if it is D or R. You need balance.

Also, this should probably be moved into the SD Area.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
On the other hand the Democratic candidate may have been a real loser even before the election. The selection was not for the best but for the least worst.
That ^^ seems to have been the modus operandi for the last couple of decades in Mass.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Also, this should probably be moved into the SD Area.
Agreed.

The real danger at present is not party related, or anything to do with health care or any other issue. It's that those politicians still standing will draw the wrong conclusions from this election, as they have for many others.

Over and over again for years, the independent voters have voted for "change." Which is not really voting FOR anyone, it's voting AGAINST the people who are already at the helm and have been making bad decisions.

Come on, Washington! WAKE UP!!! We're going to continue pressing "eject" every time an election rolls around until - by the will of God, by chance, by fate, or simply because the sheer stupidity of the guy we're ejecting THIS time - we happen to get a man or woman of the necessary energy and charisma... who also happens to have decency, intelligence, and humility.

<end rant>
Old 01-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
to get a man or woman of the necessary energy and charisma... who also happens to have decency, intelligence, and humility.
I could care less about all those traits. Just give me ones who have read and can understand our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I don't care what kind of indecent, dull or arrogant person they are, as long as they will protect our nation and not trample on our freedoms, they'll get my vote.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I could care less about all those traits. Just give me ones who have read and can understand our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I don't care what kind of indecent, dull or arrogant person they are, as long as they will protect our nation and not trample on our freedoms, they'll get my vote.
LOL!

I can't agree. I wish it was that simple, really, but we live in a complex world, and I want someone who can keep up, and make sure the issues are always the focus (instead of himself). Realistically speaking, I can write an app that can compare all potential legislation to our founding documents and flag all erroneous or suspicious wording. Perhaps we need a cyborg-in-chief?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Well, we all have our priorities, and a person of principles who understands our Constitution and will protect it is more important to me than charisma.
Ted Kennedy had charisma (so did Hitler). Lyndon Johnson was full of energy. Bill Clinton is/was certainly intelligent (and Obama as well). Jimmy Carter was full of humility.

But each of them trampled all over our rights and freedoms.

To get this back on topic (sorry) I think (my opinion) the impact of this election is that after one year of the Hope and Change, the voters are realizing that government is moving to step over the line of "governing" and moving into "controlling". Well, that's been done for four decades. Point is, I think yesterday's election is the bellwether of pendulum swinging back.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

WSJ had an excellent article, the gist of which is that the Dems had confused Obama's victory with a shift in political ideology when in fact it was disgust with the trampling of the Constitution and lousy economics of the Bush era. Now the Dems are paying the price for their miscalculation. I tend to buy that thesis.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Default Wait till Fall

The real test will be what happens in the fall elections this year. The result in MA may have still been a knee jerk reaction due to local issues and corruption.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
The real test will be what happens in the fall elections this year. The result in MA may have still been a knee jerk reaction due to local issues and corruption.
I don't know. Exit polls showed a lot of people who voted for Brown were unhappy with Obama. Health care seems to be the major issue. They feel its being forced through with very little public debate and at a time when our country is broke.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I don't know. Exit polls showed a lot of people who voted for Brown were unhappy with Obama. Health care seems to be the major issue. They feel its being forced through with very little public debate and at a time when our country is broke.
Hard to tell as I thought the Democrats taking over Congress was a knee jerk reaction to the previous administration and the Republican controlled Congress.

It is funny but the last time I thought things were sorta right was when Clinton was prez and the Congress was Republican. I remember when Carter was prez with a Democratic Congress and things were royally screwed up. Maybe I have filtered too much cheap booze through my kidneys.