Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus
Default BlackBerry MDS Services - Apache Tomcat Service

Please Login to Remove!

Stupid question, the BlackBerry MDS Services - Apache Tomcat Service, is it supposed to be running all the time or no?

Mine is set to Automatic, and it'll start up, and then shutdown without any errors or logging. Really odd to me.

Just wondering if it just starts up when it needs to?

And yes, I was able to successfully install MDS services once I had a SQL alias created to point to our cluster, which is also listening on a non-default port...

K.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
MarkV
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8707v
Carrier: Vodafone

The service should be running all the time. If it starts and then stops again there must be a problem.

Could you check the Tomcat logs: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry MDS Services 4.1.0\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9\logs

And post the configuration of Tomcat (server.xml) in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry MDS Services 4.1.0\jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9\conf
Old 05-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Korbyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telus

That's for the idea of looking at the server.xml file. Because we use a non-default SQL port, I needed to go into that file and specify the correct port. Now it starts up and stays running.

Can't believe RIM missed out on supporting SQL Instances and non-default SQL ports... Got around the instance but creating an Alias using the SQL client, but I hadn't seen anything about this Tomcat service, although I'm not really sure what it's for yet, haven't gotten that far in my re-education on 4.1 (why the heck they didn't call it 5.0 I'll never know...)
Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

I had the same problem - I edited the XML file to reflect just the SQL server name without the instance and changed the port from 1433 to our port, created an Alias and my LCS starting working, but my web browser would fail. I changed the XML back and now both work. RIM stated that 4.1.1 will fix this but will not be out for a while...