Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default New Torch's

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all, I went into AT&T to downgrade my data plan because I hardly use it and I walked out with two new BB Torches. I guess I was a little behind with the 8300 & 8310.

I have a couple questions and please let me know if I need to enter them separately. First, since this 9800 has WiFi and I have it connected to my home router, can I access my home network such as files on my laptop via the router?

Also, what is the setting, "Allow inter-access point handover" for? It is UNchecked.

The only other issue I'm having is that I live in a fringe area so AT&T gave me a 3GMicroCell but I am having trouble getting it to activate. But that is probably an issue for another thread.

My software on the new phones is still the factory 6.0.0.246 or something like that. Everything on the phone works great. I really like this thing but it would be nice to transfer files wirelessly but my laptop, (an HP Pavilion dv6) doesn't seem to have BlueTooth. But if the Torch and my computer can access my router, it seems there ought to be a way to pass files from one to the other.

Any help would really be appreciated, thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: New Torch's

You cannot connect the PC and BB to wirelessly transfer files. You can use the data cable connected to the USB port on the PC (probably the best way) or Bluetooth, but since your PC doesn't have it, then that is not an option. You can buy add BT for the PC however using a 3rd party adapter and software.

As for the Microcell, you need to check with AT&T on that. Call their tech support and they should help get it sorted out.

As for the OS, if you are happy with .246.then I recommend staying with it and not updating.

Make sure you read through the 9800 section

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Well depending what you mean by data files you may be able to wirelesly sync music using wi-fi
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you! Excellent info.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #5
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just remembered, I have one of those little Bluetooth dongles that I used on a previous laptop. It was a plug&play Bluetooth setup and made that part easy and I was able to do the "sync" wirelessly. That was pretty cool but I'm not certain that dongle will work on this 64bit machine. And even if it does, I was never able to figure out what combination of tools I needed to transfer data files like word docs. It always said something like you need to have this or that to make it work but I never knew where to get those particular tools.

It would be great if I could just lay my BB next to the computer and compare document files to see which one I had updated recently and copy the changes to the other one.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I got the USB Bluetooth dongle in my new laptop and the device manager looks happy. But upon trying to "link up" I set the discovery on my BB for 2 minutes and my computer finds it but then asks for a "Pairing Code" I tried the name I gave the Bluetooth connection on the BB and then the weird address with all the colons in it but it still fails.

How do I find the correct "Pairing code" for this BB?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay, I am one step closer. When my laptop asked for the "Pairing Code", I entered my Blackberry's password and that moved me to what seems like the next and hopefully, last step. My Blackberry then asked me for the "Numeric Pass Key" for my laptop. I have no clue what that might be so i just made up a number hoping that would "set" one. It didn't and the connection failed.

So now, I have to figure out what the "Numeric Pass Key" is on my laptop that the Blackberry wants.

Any ideas would really be appreciated, thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemack View Post
Also, what is the setting, "Allow inter-access point handover" for? It is UNchecked.
Interaccess point hand over allows you to automagically switch between access points in a large wifi deployment - like at work for example.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Sytner
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: S = Ouch
Carrier: Orange UK

For the pass keys, enter a key on the first device that prompts for one, and then when asked again on the other device, use that same key and it will work.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytner View Post
For the pass keys, enter a key on the first device that prompts for one, and then when asked again on the other device, use that same key and it will work.
Awesome, thank you! Now I remember doing that before. But it seemed like this thing "timed-out" so quickly but I'm sure you're right. I'll find out tonight.

And thank you omkhar, I was wondering about that.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bluetooth is working awesome for "Backups" but that's about all i can do so far. since I use Thunderbird with Lightning, and i refuse to put all my contact information online in a web-based calendar or address book, I have nothing to "sync" with.

Not that I have anything to hide but I don't think it is right to put everyone else's information out on the web without their expressed permission. But that's an issue for another thread.

What I'm wondering now, since I have a good Bluetooth connection, what do I need to transfer "doc" files via Bluetooth. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #12
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hit the brick wall!

I got everything set up right and everything seems to be working the way it is suppose to. I can easily "back-up" my BB Torch via Bluetooth and the Desktop manager even gives me options to "sync" music, pictures, & videos.

But I haven't been able to figure out how to do the one and only thing I want to do, transfere or sync "doc" files via Blutooth.

I often edit my document files either on my BB or PC and then I need to update the other with the changes. But unless I hook up the USB cable and go into "USB Mode", I haven't found a way to link those together. And from my searches, I don't even know if it is possible yet.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
tannis00
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Try using Dropbox. It's cloud based, but works very well for doc & xls files.
Closed Thread