Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #41
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Upgrade Makes Me Look For Another Phone

Please Login to Remove!

And the new information (for me at least) from hrbuckley's post is that (a) you or someone had to have created an account, and (b) set the AT&T Address Book as the contact list default service.

So, someone else set up the AT&T Address Book account and then set it as the default service on you BlackBerry? If you didn't, then someone had to do it.

Simply doing the upgrade didn't do it.

But whatever. Sounds like you need a reason to justify another smartphone. Good luck with your new tool. Put a password lock on it and don't leave it laying around unlocked.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #42
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBox View Post

Caveat Emptor.
Indeed. If you ever meet anyone from RIM software security, and can gain their confidence, ask them about carriers. But remember, without carrier support smart phone manufacturers only make paper weights.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #43
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Indeed. If you ever meet anyone from RIM software security, and can gain their confidence, ask them about carriers. But remember, without carrier support smart phone manufacturers only make paper weights.
Almost there in understanding my point.

RIM/BB heavily advertises its' security. The help screens in the phone, although meager, reinforce that perception.

But, when that vaunted security is not delivered it is somehow the carrier's fault? Hardly. RIM is not some helpless child at the mercy of another. It is a company that makes one, albeit critical, part of what we call a smartphone.

It is not the carrier's fault exclusively, despite what has been posted by RIM cheerleaders, that the Torch performs as it does. I picked on RIM because ATT makes no pretense of individual user security. By their actions over the years they have clearly demonstrated that they are smilar to Apple in that they consider themselves arbiters of what is done with phones on their system.

On the other hand, even in this thread, RIM claims they build very secure phones. As far as a user is concerned one cannot separate the hardware and software and in that context that claim is nonsense. Blackberries are no more secure than other phones delivered to consumers.

Hence, my original point. As a result of this upgrade I now know Blackberry is actually no different than other phones and thus it no longer has a preferential place in my purchase decisions.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #44
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Blackberries are no more secure than other phones delivered to consumers.
Give it a rest. That's why there are countries that threaten shut down BlackBerry service in order to gain access to RIM's encryption keys so they can see the messages sent between users. That's why London government officials have asked RIM to shut down BBM because they can't intercept the messages that the rioters were using, because they were encrypted.

The issue here is that AT&T added a new app to your phone and you AGREED to the EULA.

BlackBerrys are only as secure as the user of the device. If I leave my device unlocked, and leave it on a cab, it isn't very secure, is it. The user (in this case you) is the weakest link. Not the BlackBerry. There is really nothing else to add to this conversation. You are the only person complaining of this. That can only lead on one conclusion, you are the one at fault, not AT&T or RIM.

Did you even look at the links I posted where AT&T added this same software to the new Win7 Phone update and the 24 other manufacturers that allow this software?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #45
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Almost there in understanding my point.
No. Not even close to what you are asserting. You haven't absorbed anything hrbuckley or anyone else has posted.

Quote:
RIM/BB heavily advertises its' security. The help screens in the phone, although meager, reinforce that perception.

But, when that vaunted security is not delivered it is somehow the carrier's fault?
When it is the carrier, yes.

Quote:
Hardly. RIM is not some helpless child at the mercy of another. It is a company that makes one, albeit critical, part of what we call a smartphone.
But has nothing to do with your issue.

Quote:
It is not the carrier's fault exclusively, despite what has been posted by RIM cheerleaders,...
Again, it is the carriers fault when it is the carrier's service and the carrier's software. And it is your fault for not knowing what you were doing.

It is not being a cheerleader to simply point out facts and accurately describe the situation for you. But it's your right to continue in your absurdity.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #46
DallasFlier

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
I just followed the steps for the upgrade which did not require me to do anything but watch. No ATT app or aggreement was offered for approval but it apparently was loaded.
Whether you believe it or not, whether you remember it or not, at some point you agreed to the EULA AND agreed to activate the app. My wife and I both have Torches, I've upgraded each of them three different times to newer OS versions - and guess what? Neither of us has address books being sync'd to the cloud by AT&T.
Quote:
What will I do? Notify others their information I had on their contact cards has been shipped to ATT and on to whoever ATT chooses to give it to.
What will you REALLY do? You'll spew mis-information and rant and rave, just as you've been doing here. And your hysteria about data being shipped "to ATT and on to whoever ATT chooses to give it to" is pretty funny. Do you think AT&T is passing your (and everyone else's) address book data to third parties if they sync it? No - secure cloud computing is widely used/accepted today, by everyone from Microsoft to IBM to Apple to other heavyweights - all with a LOT more expertise on the topic than you.
Quote:
Next time I buy a phone I will consider other phones, not just blackberry, as will my associates.
As misinformed AND loud about it as you are, I sure hope "your associates" are smart enough to NOT use you as a smartphone expert source. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Give it a rest. That's why there are countries that threaten shut down BlackBerry service in order to gain access to RIM's encryption keys so they can see the messages sent between users. That's why London government officials have asked RIM to shut down BBM because they can't intercept the messages that the rioters were using, because they were encrypted.

The issue here is that AT&T added a new app to your phone and you AGREED to the EULA.

BlackBerrys are only as secure as the user of the device. If I leave my device unlocked, and leave it on a cab, it isn't very secure, is it. The user (in this case you) is the weakest link. Not the BlackBerry. There is really nothing else to add to this conversation. You are the only person complaining of this. That can only lead on one conclusion, you are the one at fault, not AT&T or RIM.

Did you even look at the links I posted where AT&T added this same software to the new Win7 Phone update and the 24 other manufacturers that allow this software?
Yep. Exactly on all counts!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #47
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

If the OP is still looking for a new phone, how about the 9810?

AT&T BlackBerry Torch 9810 landing August 21st for $49.99
Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #48
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
If the OP is still looking for a new phone, how about the 9810?

AT&T BlackBerry Torch 9810 landing August 21st for $49.99
It's a BlackBerry. It's not secure. The OP wants nothing to do with it.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #49
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over, son?

Driver: No, officer.

Officer: You just ran a stop sign.

Driver: I didn't see a stop sign.

Officer: Well, it's there. I'm gonna have to give you a ticket. License and registration please.

Driver: But i didn't see any stop sign! I swear!

Officer: License and registration, please.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #50
scottae316

Carrier: AT&T

It is really simple, it is all RIM's fault [sarcasm]. I have AT&T and a Torch 9800. I had to enable and authorize the address book back up. It is not something that is done for you or that an update does. Personally I think we should just stop feeding the troll. Many governments around the world and many businesses and corporations have certified Blackberry's as secure. Obviously Nobox knows better than them.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:21 AM   #51
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

It is way past time to give up, troll or not.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #52
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just had a conversation with the administrator of about a hundred phones for his company. His experience with the upgrade is the same as mine. From his perspective no particular agreement was specified for the address book thing. It was covered under the intial contract which allows the carrier and blackberry to push to your phone whatever. He went on to say that for the first time in years his company is reviewing its' options and considering other phones than blackberry.

Will leave this thread now to the blackberry defenders of the faith and move on to more important things.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #53
jsconyers

WOW! An admin of almost 100 phones. Do you realize that there are admins of THOUSANDS of phones telling you that you're wrong. Yes, AT&T can push applications to a BlackBerry, they can push apps to iPhones and Droids too. However, the user has to accept the EULA of said apps.

This admin you spoke to can look into other phones, but as I pointed out before, AT&T has their Address Book app available for 24 other manufacturers. It comes with the new update for WP7 phones. Seriously, give it a rest.

What makes your source (admin of almost 100 phones) more credible than the other admins (of thousands of BlackBerrys)?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #54
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Yeah. Whatever.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #55
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
... However, the user has to accept the EULA of said apps.

What makes your source (admin of almost 100 phones) more credible than the other admins (of thousands of BlackBerrys)?
According to ATT, when I called them, as I said before, they consider you have already accepted when you sign the original contract. Since my original post I have seen several other torches that have had the app pushed to them with no action on their part.

Because he is correct. What he says matches real life experience and what both the carrier and the hardware manufacturer tell me.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #56
DallasFlier

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Will leave this thread now to the blackberry defenders of the faith and move on to more important things.
Quote:
According to ATT, when I called them, as I said before, they consider you have already accepted when you sign the original contract. Since my original post I have seen several other torches that have had the app pushed to them with no action on their part.

Because he is correct. What he says matches real life experience and what both the carrier and the hardware manufacturer tell me.
Ah, I see you didn't have any more important things to move on to! I'd have suspected that, but thanks for confirming it, troll!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #57
jsconyers

Quote:

Where are the complaints of these "several other Torch" users? Please show me documentation where AT&T and RIM state this. I am betting that you can't.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #58
cowgirl05
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q10

This may be kind of off topic, since I'm not sure, I"m going to ask. I'm considering the Torch, for my next BB. I currently have the Style, and before that had the Bold. I, however have Sprint, which is awesome. So since I have Sprint, when I first get the Torch (if I do) what or where is the "default" setting I need to change so my contacts are not synced in a cloud as I don't want that either? I just used a cable and would sync the phone I was using at the time with my Linux laptop, and that's the way I wanted it. I don't want to put my phone's email account on it and then find out I should have changed a setting too late. I do like my BlackBerrys, but I don't want to make a mistake when I first set it up, or if my hubby gets the new Torch or Bold and I set it up for him. He doesn't want to sync his with anything other than his computer either. THANKS!!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #59
jsconyers

There is no Torch for Sprint. Also this issue relates to an AT&T app, Sprint devices won't be affected by this.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #60
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

The 9850 is the Sprint Torch......