BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
The Trickster

Model: 8707V
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Unhappy Do I really have to wipe all of our devices?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I've found a lot of info on here already that has helped me out greatly, but I now face some issues that I'm not sure how to resolve. This is long so I hope you can bear with me.

We have BES Server with 15 devices currently running off it. We've had a few issues with calendar synchronisation, mainly that changes made on the Blackberry devices don't replicate up to Outlook wirelessly (it does replicate from Outlook to the devices).

I think (from research) the reason for this is that I'm running all the Blackberry services with the administrator account instead of the BES Admin account. I tried changing the services to run using the BES Admin account, but then nothing works (ie. the server doesn't send any mail to the devices). I checked the event logs and found a bunch errors that seems to relate to permissions when I try to run the services as BES Admin. I've downloaded a list of what permissions the BES Admin account needs and it all seems to be correct, so I can't figure out why it won't work.

Anyway, I decided to build a new server and set everything up correctly from the start. I've built the server with a new name and everything has been done with a new BES Admin account called besadministrator. All looks good except I've now found out that the only way to get our devices onto the new server is to delete the users from the old server, wipe the Blackberry's entirely and start again.

I've now read that the only way to avoid this is to build the new server with the same name, using the same account as before, and backup and restore the database from the old server to the new one. But if I do this, it won't resolve the problem I've been trying to fix in the first place (ie. the calendar synchronisation problem).

Does anyone have any ideas as for how I can get this working without wiping the Blackberry's? If I have to wipe the devices, I might as well stay the way it is and ignore the calendar syncronisation issues, but I would have wasted a couple of days work here.

Cheers,
Tricky.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

**how about we move this over to the BES Admin's Corner**
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Calendar issues are due to a mismatch of the cdo.dll file on exchange and BES. You don't have outlook installed on BES by any chance? In any way, follow all prerequisites for BES install and make sure you use the same Blackberry server, srp etc name as the old one but do not start services at the end yet. Restore db and that should be it.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

1. Uninstall your BES, search BlackBerry Technical Solution Center for clean uninstall
2. Install the BES as BESAdmin with the old BES name
3. Restore the old DB

That should get you working, unless you did not create BESAdmin properly.

Also,

1. BES Version
2. Exchange Version
3. MAPI32.dll and CDO.dll on both BES and Exchange
Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
amadru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Are you back ended on SQL? If so, just install a new BES correctly using the same BESMgmt database you used in the first build but with a new name etc (just remember to install using the correct account). Then open Blackberry Manager after the install and you should see both BES servers. Right click each user and select Move User and move them to the new BES.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
The Trickster

Model: 8707V
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks guys. I followed the instructions above (gibson_hg) and it seems to have worked ok.

I have some errors in the event log (check my new thread for the main one - "user not started errors") to get through, but overall it has come back up ok.

Cheers,
Tricky.
Closed Thread