Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Inzomniak
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: 2566****
Carrier: O2-UK
Angry Firewall & IT Policy issues

Please Login to Remove!

I am having a major headache with removal of IT Policy and deactivating the firewall on my BB Bold

I have a personal BlackBerry Bold, which has never had EA on the BES, I accidently plugged the device into to USB on my computer at work rather than the power adapter (...the cables were right next to each other, but unlabled) and some how it pickup up a work IT Policy, maybe because I happened to have the BES manager open at the time.

When checking in Options > Security it would read GC Enabled, so I wiped the device and set it up with policy.bin method which although appeared to remove any policy information, it in fact hadn't, as when I checked in in Options > Status and typed in B U Y R, both the Data Usage & Voice Usage fields were showing IT Policy Enabled, and under the firewall status was showing as enabled with a red padlock next to it.

So I decided that I would move onto the JL_Cmder method to reset the Bold to factory default, initially this appeared to work, I checked the firewall which was showing as disabled, check the B U Y R under Status this was now looking as expected displaying the BIS Voice and Data usage amounts, ok I thought I would restore my apps, again now issues, now I have retored my backup data, making sure that I excluded the Policy part of the backup the firewall has re-enabled itself, Data & Voice are still showing BIS information and no IT Policy is showing under Options > Security.

This is really starting to piss me off as I have spent nearly 2 days trying to get this resolved and everytime I get close the bloody firewall keeps re-enabling itself, anyone got any ideas or new tricks to try and help resolve this issue please

Cheers

A very angry ~Inzo~
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
jjmach
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

if you did the backup after the IT policy was applied to your device, seems you are out of luck and will have to load your apps manually.

Regards
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Inzomniak

I was thinking that actually, I had already backup up my apps using the device switch method, prior to the IT Policy debacle, so I don't think it has anything to do with the applications.

My next plan was to flatten the device again and restore the data using the Backup/Restore Advanced options and the databases one at a time, though when I rebuilt it last time I did this and told it not to restore the Policy & Firewall options databases and as mentioned previously doing this initially showed the Firewall as being disabled.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Rob44

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange uk
Default so annoying

Hi

I have exactly the same problem and have encountered it before. All my phones have been bought brand new straight out the box and it keeps happening. It is so annoying. when I had a 8820 I posted this;

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-solution.html

It worked at the time but doesn't seem to work with my Blackberry Bold now.

If you ever find a solution please let me know. IT IS SO ANNOYING

take care
Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Inzomniak

Cheers for the reply Rob,

I will give it a try again tonight, it is really starting to bug me now, I was even thinking of doing a BES EA, setting a default IT Policy and the rebuilding the device again afterwards, but I really don't want it have any association with my company BES as this is a personal device, this was only going to be done as a last resort.

But what I still can't understand is how this happened, alright I did connect the BlackBerry by accident to the usb rather than to the power (my own fault for having 2 unlabled miniUSB cables on my desk), I hadn't setup an account on the BES and also hadn't sent through EA or an IT Policy, the mind boggles, at least it doesn't have an IT Policy on it now, even though some reminent must remain as the Firewall is still pooched!!
Closed Thread