nopunlntended

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw
Default 8330 trackball, all buttons dont work

Please Login to Remove!

Here's whats happened to me...

June 19 - Buy BB Curve 8330

July 15 - Drop my phone on a piece of metal and one button gets smashed in. I go to verizon and they give me a new one free. I restore my BB using Desktop Manager Backup/Restore function

July 16 - halfway through the day i pick up my phone and none of my buttons work, the trackball moves but doesnt click. No amount of battery pulls solves this. Go back to Verizon and explain. They give me ANOTHER new phone. Restore with backup/restore again.

July 17 - None of my buttons work again. At this point I'm thinking it's my backup file thats somehow corrupted. Instead of going back to Verizon I try to fix it myself. after i got home from work about 6 hours later wiped my BB with JL_CMDR, and reloaded OS 4.3 from Verizon's webpage. After this my blackberry slowly started to come back to life after about an hour. What I mean by that is that at first only a few of the buttons worked and slowly more started working until they all did. Additionally, for a little while some of the buttons did the wrong thing. For instance i'd press 3 and lXn would come up and then i'd press 9 and d#* would come up, really weird stuff like that. Then it just all started working again.

Aug 20 - Same problem AGAAAAAIN! Wipe BB, Reload OS AGAAAAIIN! This time it didn't work. been a few hours and none of my functionality is restored.

Had these things installed
Opera Mini
Viigo
vz nav
mobile im
think thats it, also a 4gig SD card about 25% full of mp3s

Does anyone know the cause of this madness?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

Are you texting underwater?

Do you keep the Blackberry in the bathroom when you shower? If so, there may be some fouling of the devices from the steam....

How are you charging them? Via USB? Wall or car charger?
You may want to check the chargers to make sure they are all within specifications.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #3
coloradoguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile

I am having the same problem but I have a Pearl 8100. The track ball is the only thing that works. It sometimes stays like that for like two days or a couple of hours. I went to t-mobile and they told me that they haven't heard of anyone us having the same problem. I have a friend that has the newer Pearl and she had the same problem but she has ATT. T-mobile told me that I am screwed and that I had to buy a new phone.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Sometimes keeping the device in your pocket can cause this. It can be moisture from sweat, etc.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
nopunlntended

Carrier: vzw

Everyone I talk to seems to say that this is caused by moisture. I've never gotten it wet and I never even brought it in the shower even though i always used to do that with my old phone, or any other phone ive ever owned for that matter.

Now it seems that your not supposed to keep it in your pocket either.

I'll just seal it in a titanium humidity controlled case and wear it on my necklace. What if I live in Florida? Is it just too humid to own a blackberry there? Seriously though, this device is way too sensitive for me. I can't even believe that corporations hand this out to their employees. Seems like they'd need a whole team of IT guys just to fix blackberries.

Anyway, I guess it's just me b/c everyone else in the world seems to think it's the greatest thing ever. I took mine to Verizon today and switched it for a plain old LG phone. At least I won't have to worry about whether or not ill be able to actually make a phone call.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
tpoon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Nopun,

This is the case for all mobile devices, and most carriers will always tell you not to leave the phone on the bathroom counter when taking a shower, etc. Your best bet is to buy a case, and just keep your device dry. If you continue to experience the stuck keys, add insurance to your data plan and exchange the phone. Good luck!