BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7750
Default handheld out of space - can't figure out why

Please Login to Remove!

I have over 50 users on my BES (4.0 Exchange). Many users have huge mailboxes, large calendars, lots of tasks, etc...

I have one user whose BB is full (free space = 0). It is so full that the device will only hold around 2-3 e-mail messages at time; it has to prune out the others to get them to fit. I can't figure out what is taking up the space.

I have setup in IT POlicy to not allow 3rd party apps, so there's no games or anything on the device taking up space.

His calendar is 4MB, contacts are 700k, notes/memos 240k, tasks 4k.
I'm stumped. I have users with huge calendars and tasks, etc... and they can fit many mail messages on their BB.

Any idea where to look? I even had him empty his deleted items folder, which free'd up a bunch of space in his exchange mailbox, but still 0 bytes free on BB.

Any help would be aprpeciated. Handhelds are all running OS 4.0 as well.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

make/model?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

model is 7750. OS is 4.0, carrier is Sprint.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

A 4mb calendar is huge, considering that most devices have 16 MB of storage. Any way to trim that?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll look into it. But like I said, I have users who have 15MB calendars. I have the unit options set to only keep 15 days of calendar, 15 days of mail, etc... I understand he needs to clean his calendar, but I just don't see what the difference is between this one and others. I am looking at what modules he has installed on it - I may take off brickbreaker, passwordkeeper, etc... to free up some space as well...
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Only things I can think of are whether the user has any pictures saved on the handheld for backgrounds... I would be tempted to wipe and reload the handheld OS, just to clear out and lingering data.

Other than that, you can delete all the service books and then resend the IT policy to get rid of any BWC related service books to save some space...

cd.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for responses. Can I delete the service books from the BES, and then resend the IT POlicy, or do I have to delete the service books from the handheld itself. The user is offsite, so I'm trying to NOT do a wipe and reactivation if possible.
thanks
Brian
Old 05-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
cartwfh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

I've had this problem with devices also. The way around it in our case is to "scrub" the hand held through the application loader.

1) Disable the wireless signal and Create a complete back up of the handheld. Remember to not re-enable the wireless signal until the end of this procedure. (after the back up, click the advanced button and take note of overall amount of storage available. It may say something different than 0)

2) connect the device and start the application loader ( assuming you have the correct handheld software version loaded on that machine) The app list will populate most likely with out needing any updates.

3) click next, then click "advanced"

4) click be sure to check the box that says ''remove all application data''. click next

5) select the option to not back up and restore the handheld's application data. (this will restore the device to a clean state.)

6) after this finishes and the device returns to the icons screen, reopen back up and restore then click the advanced button.

7) begin selecting only the things that cannot be restored by a synchronization. Like the e-mail messages, phone logs and SMS logs ( if the device is also used regularly as a phone.) Also take not again of how much space is available on the unit

8) re-sync the device at the users desktop ( if this initial procedure was not performed there) then re-enable the wireless signal to bring down any queued messages.

THE POINT OF THIS PROCEDURE IS TO REMOVE ANY HIDDEN ACCUMULATIONS OF CACHE FILES, WEB PAGES AND OTHER POSSIBLY CORRUPTED FILES FROM THE DEVICE.

Last edited by cartwfh; 05-10-2005 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: corrected one of my many mispellings
Old 05-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #9
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

related to the post above, I realized by looking through the BES Handheld mgr that when I received my initial handhelds, I had to upgrade them from 3.6 to 4.0. My next shipment was upgraded by carrier to 4.0. Where I picked and chose what I wanted to be installed, the carrier loaded it up with everything - foreign lang. support, brickbreaker, passwordkeeper, etc... I'm going to play around with that and see if that helps this issue. thanks.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #10
DownByLaw123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Is there any way to clear out the attachment database, for example, from the unit, without hooking it up to the desktop manager software? One of the benefits of 4.0 via wireless is they never need to connect to desktop, i.e. i never need to install that software on their pcs - and yet for those who run out of space, it's looking like I'll have to do just that - install the desktop manager software on their PC and train them on how to clear out data on tha BB. Seems like a pain...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 AM   #11
cartwfh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

I don't know how many users you have, but we handle all desktop manager related items centrally ( in the helpdesk area) the users drop the devices by, we either log in to a machine as the user, or connect it to one of our administrative stations to perform tasks like those mentioned my last post. In tracking the 400 users we have in the firm, I have come to the conclusion that almost every device will need some sort of across the wire maintenance done from time to time. Teaching each user how to performs some of these tasks would seem to be more time consuming then teaching the technicians and simply telling the users it is routine maintenance.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #12
aristobrat

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

cartwfh, you guys are nice.

We give our users instructions on how to wipe their handhelds and re-Enterprise Activate (on their own) if they're having an issue that takes more than 15 minutes to troubleshoot.
Closed Thread