BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon
Default Replace Storm or Wait for OS Upgrade?

Please Login to Remove!

A query to some of the more technically savvy BB users.

I have had my same Storm since the official release date. OS .67 had its issues but then I upgraded to .75. For the most part the love affair was growing.

However during the last 3 weeks I found my Storm touch screen becoming completely unresponsive. Initially a daily battery pull was required to get the phone functioning again. Soon I was doing 2-3 battery pulls daily for the same issue.

Yesterday I experienced heavy call volume while at a formal event. Throughout the course of the day I was required to perform countless battery pulls in order to be able to type in my security code to utilize the phone. On some occasions two battery pulls in a row were necessary.

While the phone is locked I am unable to get the screen to respond to thumbing. The physical keys function however the screen is unresponsive. The phone has never be dropped or exposed to water. The weather was cold, approximately 35 degrees, however I don't think temperature is an issue.

Am I experiencing a memory leak issue, OS flaw, or is my unit simply defective? This issue has gotten progressively worse since the OS upgrade so I doubt the matter is physical rather a degradation of the software due to some sort of flaw. I have no desire to change models. I wish to stay with the Storm.

Any ideas? Holla back forum!

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 02-01-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Old 02-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Personally I believe u have a valid claim to get a replacement from vz...don't wait for the next os...just get a fresh one...wouldn't hurt right...they'll ship it out to u on 2 day express...u have nothing to loose, and a new Storm to gain..

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Get a fresh one. If I am NOT mistaken .99 is lurking around.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
PHLAK
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A

I third that, get a replacement. Sounds like a hardware problem, not software.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
akira751
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Get a fresh one. If I am NOT mistaken .99 is lurking around.

your right .99 is out.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
franknbeans
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vrz

CrackBerry.com – The #1 Site for BlackBerry Users & Abusers
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
BBG3

Carrier: BELL

Get a new one. Just remember to back-up and restore and you should be good.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

UPDATE: The problem persisted. I still think it's software related. After basically having a fancy paper weight, I managed to get into my phone. I immediately disabled the security option.

The phone works alot better but the edges of the screen are not responsive unless I thumb across responsive portions to the edge.

What's up?

Verizon 9530
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

I got my Storm yesterday, so I can't say whether or not that's a software issue. However, if no one else seems to be experiencing the same problem, I'd suggest getting a new Storm. If a large percentage of Storm users ARE experiencing the same problem, though, then I think that would indicate a software issue that might possibly be fixed with the next OS upgrade.

When I first had my Curve, I was experiencing some issues and hesitated to replace it. Eventually I was forced to and I really wish I had done so sooner. If you choose to replace your Storm, it will most likely fix the issue. If you wait for the next OS upgrade, that may not fix the issue and you'll still have to replace your Storm.

Soooo, after all that rambling, I suggest replacing it now rather than waiting. lol
Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #10
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorkable View Post
I got my Storm yesterday, so I can't say whether or not that's a software issue. However, if no one else seems to be experiencing the same problem, I'd suggest getting a new Storm. If a large percentage of Storm users ARE experiencing the same problem, though, then I think that would indicate a software issue that might possibly be fixed with the next OS upgrade.

When I first had my Curve, I was experiencing some issues and hesitated to replace it. Eventually I was forced to and I really wish I had done so sooner. If you choose to replace your Storm, it will most likely fix the issue. If you wait for the next OS upgrade, that may not fix the issue and you'll still have to replace your Storm.

Soooo, after all that rambling, I suggest replacing it now rather than waiting. lol
Adorkable, not sure if you are male or female, but your picture looks good!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
adorkable

PIN: Ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoosy View Post
Adorkable, not sure if you are male or female, but your picture looks good!
Thanks.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
illig

it's an OS problem...

look through the Storm forums and you'll see that you basically have to put up with a "Beta" quality OS (even if it's one of the officially released ones like .75) if you intend to keep the phone

it's nothing like the usual rock solid stability of the non touch screen blackberrys

if you're willing to put up with it, it's a great phone, with great features... but if you just want a solid, no frills device, then get one of the other BB models.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
datboi305

Model: 9700
PIN: 216e8182
Carrier: tmobile

i would get a new one just because and it is an OS problem its not stable like other bbs

sure joo kan haz ma twitter
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

I'm having a different problem...this is my third storm and it freezes twice every day and the other two never did this....it did it with .75 with .90 and was hoping it would go away with .99 but it didn't....when it freezes and I press the end button to see if it'll just turn off it does nothing whatsoever....I don't feel like replacing it anymore and even if I did I can't right now because I just sent in my rebate last week and I'm afraid they won't credit me if I get a new one with a different MEID number or there will be a delay in it....can anybody suggest anything that might help, or know any further info on rebates and stuff like that?.........I thought about doing a wipe but I'm not sure if that would fix it....thanks

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #15
quattrocs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: TB
PIN: you want it, then ask

drummer boy what apps are you running

7105t, 8320, 9530, 9550, Now Thunderbolt BES Admin, LAN Admin, CAD Manager
wished i had invested in rim stock when it was $5
Old 02-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrocs View Post
drummer boy what apps are you running
I'm running
TalkLock
Opera
Bolt browser
Youtube
Google Maps
Aim
Beyond 411
Radio companion
Slydial
Wallpaper shuffler
Facecall
Buzzme
Quickpull
Tiltris
Polyglotz
And Nintaii

Usually what stays runing in the back is talklock, wallpaper shuff, and BuzzMe...

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
RJ311

Get the new device and then upgrade to 99. So far so good. I have had it for thee days and it is like a new phone.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
paulmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDruMMer BoYxx View Post
I'm running
TalkLock
Opera
Bolt browser
Youtube
Google Maps
Aim
Beyond 411
Radio companion
Slydial
Wallpaper shuffler
Facecall
Buzzme
Quickpull
Tiltris
Polyglotz
And Nintaii

Usually what stays runing in the back is talklock, wallpaper shuff, and BuzzMe...
Wow thats a lot of third party apps. Just wondering if that might be the problem. I have usually found that they cause some of the problems. Just a thought.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
Wow thats a lot of third party apps. Just wondering if that might be the problem. I have usually found that they cause some of the problems. Just a thought.
Yah I'd have to find out which one is doing it too...I guess I can narrow it down by which ones are not ment for the Storm (betas). I got wallpapershuffler for free when BBnews announced it was free before changing it because the maker wanted to charge for it...maybe he made a better version I don't know..and that's what's causing it...beets me

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

**UPDATE**

Disabling the security function on the phone I think solved the problem for the most part. However the VZW tech examined my phone and told me the performance was totally unacceptable. New phone is on the way.

I also wanted to add something. I handled one of the Storm demo phones in the VZW store and the demo unit ran impeccably. Orientation was instantaneous, operation was fast, and the keyboard operation was flawless. The graphics were so crisp the display actually looked different. The phone also felt lighter. I asked the clerk if a second gen unit was on display and he said it was not. He claimed the OS upgrade was the reason for the phone's performance.

Does VZW place special "tweaked" models on display to encourage purchases? I am totally convinced these units were tricked out. My phone never ran like these and I tell you they actually felt lighter. Any ideas? Or am I just losing my mind?

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 02-03-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Closed Thread