rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownvirus View Post
Ok I guess from reading this thread. We are basically out of luck when it comes to using gmail imap? Although some people did get it to work, there were delays. I guess we should continue to look into this over a few days until imap is implimented entirely throughout googles systems.
They're experiencing growing pains right now - I was working with my boss in Thunderbird plugging it in (we were just poking a stick at things, seeing how to connect the Sent and Trash properly, etc. - nerding out) and right in the middle of our playtime Google disabled the IMAP access on his account. Poof, gone - webUI and everything.

It might be wise to give it a couple days for the smoke to clear and give the GMail team time to put the remaining fires out.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #82
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog1176 View Post
Hmm... Tried again disabling POP in my Gmail Acct. But it is always re-enabled after deleting/re-adding Gmail acct to BIS.
Maybe because the integration automatically enables POP in the Gmail acct for you?
This is exactly what happens. The BIS will activate POP in your GMail account to pull messages if it is not already active. It looks like RIM is probably using some sort of proprietary Google 'notification' RPC to tell the BIS there is a msg (hence the 'notification server' that RIM techs are always referencing when talking about getting GMail accounts to push), then POP to get the actual msg off the server.... It goes to reason then, that with some slight modifications on RIM's part the notification RPC (whether it is or is not an RPC of some sort I don't know, just guessing) can now be integrated with IMAP and us GMailers should be able to have the same experience as Yahoo users.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 PM   #83
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoggLBC View Post
It looks like RIM is probably using some sort of proprietary Google 'notification' RPC to tell the BIS there is a msg (hence the 'notification server' that RIM techs are always referencing when talking about getting GMail accounts to push), then POP to get the actual msg off the server....
I bet it's not even proprietary - the system probably polls for messages since the last poll (date/time saved in notification server) and stores all the UIDs for each message; if any new UIDs pop up that are not saved from the last poll in the infamous notification server then it knows to retrieve them and push out to the client (adding it's own RIM-internal UID I'm sure). Then when you delete from your handheld it issues a typical POP/IMAP command to delete the email and so forth.

(I'm sure it's way, way more complicated than this )
Old 10-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #84
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Found this.

Blackberry
Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #85
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Found this.

Blackberry
Same link was posted yesterday on the 1st page of this thread. It doesn't work as I was on the phone with RIM for over an hour.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:17 AM   #86
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

what's the point of using IMAP with BIS? BIS has 2-way sync with Gmail already in POP3 ...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #87
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenslb57 View Post
Same link was posted yesterday on the 1st page of this thread. It doesn't work as I was on the phone with RIM for over an hour.
It works, but its standard IMAP w/BIS - 15 minute polling.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #88
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
what's the point of using IMAP with BIS? BIS has 2-way sync with Gmail already in POP3 ...
I'm not sure about the 2-way sync but its not how true IMAP should work. IMAP has the ability (with IMAP-IDLE) to sync read/unread/delete. Its RIM's BIS that doesn't implement it (yet?)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #89
whsbuss

Any notice if their Yahoo accounts are doing 2-way syncing? I added one of my yahoo address to the BIS. However, deletes/read/unread are not immediate like it was before. Also instant push is a bit delayed (up to 5 minutes).
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #90
dheida
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Last night around 6 MTN the list of supported IMAP clients on the GMAIL site had about 15 including Blackberry. Now it's down to like 5 without Blackberry.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #91
onyx00
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Funny, because just last week I talked to RIM about 2-way sync. with GMail (Hosted version) and they said the read/unread status didn't sync. because GMail doesn't support IMAP. Okay, no problem.

But now that GMail supports IMAP, 2-way sync. should work. I tried setting up my account using the instructions earlier in this thread and I was able to get mail, but it seemed to be the 15-minute polling. I don't understand why you cannot get both *instant* e-mail delivery, AND 2-way sync. now that GMail supports IMAP.

Am I missing something?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #92
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx00 View Post
Funny, because just last week I talked to RIM about 2-way sync. with GMail (Hosted version) and they said the read/unread status didn't sync. because GMail doesn't support IMAP. Okay, no problem.

But now that GMail supports IMAP, 2-way sync. should work. I tried setting up my account using the instructions earlier in this thread and I was able to get mail, but it seemed to be the 15-minute polling. I don't understand why you cannot get both *instant* e-mail delivery, AND 2-way sync. now that GMail supports IMAP.

Am I missing something?
Your not missing anything, RIM is.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #93
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I thought mine had been working, but the only thing it does is mark messages read on Gmail if I read it on the BB. That happens fast enough that I couldn't start the stopwatch. Kind of surprising since it took up to 14 minutes for the messages to hit the BB after showing up online.

The other way around, the messages weren't marked as read on the BB. Delete didn't work either way. Showing the message as read is the only thing different from setting up as POP.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:20 PM   #94
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

as of now pop is still the best way to go

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 10-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #95
unknownvirus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I have pop set up now and if I delete from bb it deletes on gmail

I would rather have message status sync though
Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #96
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

ever since Gmail added IMAP...everyone seems to think that their BB will start acting like a mail client. before people whine about not having client functionality on their Blackberry....they need to first understand the functionality of the Blackberry itself. THink of it more as a 2-way pager...and BIS sends you the pages (emails etc). while this is obviously an over simplified explanation, this concept is what RIM was founded on. their very first devices were 2 way pagers pretty much. when PDA/Smartphones came around, they had the capability to run an email program such as Outlook so it can be more like their desktop. there are pro's and cons in each... but if you are a Blackberry user...please stop asking:

"since Gmail is IMAP...will I see all of my folders and will it give me access to all of my emails, even read ones, even deleted ones...will i have a folder/label system like in Thunderbird when I set up Gmail IMAP on that?"

Blackberry is a solid device and does what it does better than any other device.

peace
Old 10-26-2007, 07:26 AM   #97
redsoxnation
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT
Question

So this has absolutly nothing to do with the gmail application on my BB? Because I already have sinc with my app. If I delete somthing on my BB or Computer it automaticly shows on the other.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #98
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
So this has absolutly nothing to do with the gmail application on my BB? Because I already have sinc with my app. If I delete somthing on my BB or Computer it automaticly shows on the other.
Correct. This discussion revolves around the BIS for email integration.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #99
rivviepop

Hack idea for someone to try (I can't as I have the Hosted Domain setup, we don't have IMAP rolled out to us yet):

1) find a random IMAP server to configure in BIS that is *not* gmail (if anyone knows of free IMAP email services for this, pipe up!)

2) after completing config, go back and edit the account in BIS to be your normal GMail login - I'm thinking that it won't check if you edit *after the fact* a gmail account

What I'm curious is if you can short-circuit the BIS logic during initial setup by using a real IMAP-non-Google account, then going back and shoving in your gmail credentials as an IMAP setup instead of the auto-detected gmail.

Give it a shot, let us know.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #100
unknownvirus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
Hack idea for someone to try (I can't as I have the Hosted Domain setup, we don't have IMAP rolled out to us yet):

1) find a random IMAP server to configure in BIS that is *not* gmail (if anyone knows of free IMAP email services for this, pipe up!)

2) after completing config, go back and edit the account in BIS to be your normal GMail login - I'm thinking that it won't check if you edit *after the fact* a gmail account

What I'm curious is if you can short-circuit the BIS logic during initial setup by using a real IMAP-non-Google account, then going back and shoving in your gmail credentials as an IMAP setup instead of the auto-detected gmail.

Give it a shot, let us know.
i actually used to use this as a solutuon for some email setups when i used to do blackberry support for ATT
someone wanna give it a try? im too lazy
Closed Thread