BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
NinerMcGee

Model: 8700c
Default Magnet in cases?

Please Login to Remove!

please forgive my naivte, but i am new to BB's (i just got an 8700c and i am smitten) On this forum i've found a wealth of information pertaining to my device, but there is still something i am confused about,
it has to do with the magnets on many of the cases offered for this model. I see that many offer a "sleeper magner" that will disable the device when holstered with the flap closed. now, i'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but is that to say i cannot receive calls/email notification when the device is holstered in such a case with the flap closed? is there a way to change this? ideally , i'd love for a flap case to still allow my BB to vibrate with notifications when it was by my side. the idea of it going to "sleep" and laying dormant doesn't work for me.

any advice is greatly appreciated,
thank you!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
ksellers914
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Hmmm....Place the BB in your case and get someone to send you a text, or call it yourself. I am surprised you have not done this already before posting.

The answer is, yes it still works when "asleep."
Old 06-28-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Your BB doesn't really go to sleep when in "sleeper" mode. It just operates on reduced power, mostly turning off the screen. You will still receive calls and emails. You can set the BB to vibrate automatically ( or to ring if desired) even when in sleep mode in the holster by going to settings and profiles, etc.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
NinerMcGee

thanks for the replies so far.
no, i haven't had a chance to put it in the case and try as i don't have one yet. i am in the process of selecting a case and came across the magnet as a feature on most of the cases i've seen.
thats what made me ask the question
Old 06-28-2006, 06:28 AM   #5
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerMcGee
thanks for the replies so far.
no, i haven't had a chance to put it in the case and try as i don't have one yet. i am in the process of selecting a case and came across the magnet as a feature on most of the cases i've seen.
thats what made me ask the question

How about the case/holster that came with it? have you tried that? It has a magnet.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
NinerMcGee

no. i haven't tried the holster it came with as its pretty ugly and i'm not one for clipping things on my belt.
I just asked a question about the magnet advertised in many of the cases for the 8700.
seems that may have been too much to ask.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnol
Your BB doesn't really go to sleep when in "sleeper" mode. It just operates on reduced power, mostly turning off the screen.
It also allows you to have a separate "holster" option for all your notifications. For example, if you want it to vibrate in the holster but not out of the holster (so it doesn't walk across your desk) you can specify this in your profiles.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I just asked a question about the magnet advertised in many of the cases for the 8700.
Wow; the question has been answered. Not sure what you feel it has been too much to ask. What else would you like answered?

Read Chrisnol's reply early on. The BlackBerry does not go dormant - it switches to "In Holster" mode and continues, without the screen on.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #9
texasag90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
no. i haven't tried the holster it came with as its pretty ugly and i'm not one for clipping things on my belt.
You might try the FAQ. There is a lot of cool information in there about how your BB works.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #10
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I suggested that you try it, not for looks, but for the magnet question you asked as the holster you have has one.

You asked about the magnet and got alot of answers, all correct, and you think you've been dealt a bad hand?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
NinerMcGee

Yes, Chrisnols reply was helpful, but some others were not, thats what i was refering to about "too much to ask"
I've owned the device for 48 hours and haven't had the time to read all the information that is out there on it.
sorry.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #12
NinerMcGee

no John, i appreciate your suggestion. i didn't realize there was a magnet in it, but i will try adjusting the profiles and placing it in the holster as you and others have suggested.
thank you
Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #13
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
no John, i appreciate your suggestion. i didn't realize there was a magnet in it, but i will try adjusting the profiles and placing it in the holster as you and others have suggested.
thank you
Ahh, success....
Closed Thread