Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
jdbrechtel

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Need WiFi help bigtime! BB Pearl 8120, T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, first post here. I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse with anything I'm about to explain. I'm just in continuous frustration after plenty of research and attempts and needed to state my specifics.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insight and for reading this lengthy post!

I had to buy a new router recently, I bought a Linksys WRT54G2 router version 1.5. I've had very minimal success with my Blackberry WiFi Internet connection (no data plan w/ T-Mobile), both through the standard hotspot browser and Opera Mini 4.2. I've tried plenty of reconfigurations of my router and setting changes to make the BB Internet work. I have no problem connecting to the router with my laptop.

Current settings...

I have updated to the latest/greatest firmware of the router - Ver.1.5.01 Build 8.

Mixed Wireless Network Mode (not B-only or G-only). I've tried just G-Only.

Wireless Channel 6 (I've tried channel 2 and 3).

Wireless SSID Broadcast is enabled (haen't ever tried to disable it)

WPA2 Personal Security, TKIP+AES Algorithms (have also used WEP and just AES Algorithm)

Disabled MAC Filtering (also have enabled it in the past)

I have not tried to restrict any Internet access to any source (separate item on my router from the MAC Filtering).

I have not messed with Gateway or Ports (yet) even though I've read something about them, specifically Ports 500 and 45? Or something similar.

Anything else I am failing to considering?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Have you looked at the Wi-Fi diagnostics on your device? Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options, Menu -> Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics.

You will also find there Site Survey, Ping and DNS Lookup. Very useful tools in working out problems. You haven't specified your Blackberry OS in your profile so it is difficult to be specific, but modern Blackberry OSs are designed to work with, and use Wi-Fi in conjunction with, a Blackberry Data Plan. You can use it without one, but it can be problematic as you are finding out.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
jdbrechtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Have you looked at the Wi-Fi diagnostics on your device? Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options, Menu -> Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics.

You will also find there Site Survey, Ping and DNS Lookup. Very useful tools in working out problems. You haven't specified your Blackberry OS in your profile so it is difficult to be specific, but modern Blackberry OSs are designed to work with, and use Wi-Fi in conjunction with, a Blackberry Data Plan. You can use it without one, but it can be problematic as you are finding out.
Thanks for the response.

I've checked Wi-Fi diagonstics (Options > WiFi Connections > *WiFi profile name* (not the actual profile name obviosuly) > Wi-Fi Diagnostics). That's how I got to it, I'm assuming more/less we're on the same page there.

I have Blackberry OS 4.5.

I've also removed the battery several times.

Again I have had success twice in getting WiFi. The first time was the evening I bought the router on Sunday (just needed to get the MAC address settings proper), and the 2nd time was 2 days ago with just a battery removal.

The error I always get is UMA 004 which means it doesn't establish an IP/DNS connection at all (I think more/less).

I had no trouble at all connecting to my previous router via BlackBerry WiFi (before that router kicked the bucket this weekend).
Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
jdbrechtel

I've also unplugged and reconfiguring my router from square-1.

My laptop has no trouble connecting.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

I had a similar problem with my bold. Here's my solution. Hope it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTsoldier View Post
Ok. I figured it out..

I went to Options - Mobile Network and "Data Services" was off...

Don't know how that happened but putting it back on hooked me right back up.

Wierd :S

Thanks for all your help Midnightdraven
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
jdbrechtel

Thannks.

Data Services for me is currently set to On, but I'm currently at work right now and have had no trouble connecting to my work's wireless router, don't know if those settings automatically change or get recognized like the WiFi profiles do when you get to their hotspots.

I'll give that a try when I get home this evenign.

Last edited by jdbrechtel; 10-22-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #7
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

The FAQ says to reboot the router for that error.
Wifi / UMA Error Codes - BlackBerryFAQ

Is the router set to automatic DHCP? Also if you can find a QOS setting and enable it, and try to prioritize the phone, it could be what's needed.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
jstevenson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T
Default Same thing here

I'm seeing the same thing here with my Bold 9000 (running latest AT&T OS, 4.6.0.304). A couple of additional details:

1) I'm not an idiot, promise - I'm an IT guy, have been doing this for almost 20 years.

2) Was working fine before I swapped out my old failing access point (Linksys WAP54G).

3) Not working since switching to the WRT54G2.

4) Everything else in the house is still connecting fine - three different laptops, two TiVo HD units, two iPod touches, an iPhone 3GS, two Nintendo DSes, and a Nintendo Wii - all via the same WEP configuration I had on the old access point (yes, I hate to use WEP, but that's all that's supported on the DSes).

5) If I bring the old AP back online, the Bold still connects to it. Can't continue to use the old AP though, because it needs reset at least once a day.

6) The Bold also connects to a separate WPA WLAN I have in the house (via a router for work).

7) Same symptoms as previously described - the Bold successfully "connects" if I delete and recreate the Wi-Fi profile, but the Wi-Fi icon stays gray. Wi-Fi diagnostics seem to show everything O.K., successfully "Associated" and "Authenticated", "Network acquired", no "Authentication Failure Reason, showing the valid IP address I'd expect. Long story short there, everything appears to be working, except I have no IP connectivity and the indicator stays grayed out.

8) Also similar to the prior posts, I've seen it once or twice suddenly start working several minutes after turning Wi-Fi on. When it's working, I can ping the IP address from another device and when it isn't, well, I can't.

So... there seems to be some sort of incompatibility between the BlackBerry Wi-Fi provider and the Linksys WRT54G2. No idea if the problem lies with RIM or Linksys, though.

Joe
Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
ang_pilosopo

Carrier: Globe Telecom

I also encounter the same problem with my Linksys WRT54G2. Everything else connects to the router except my BB Bold. The Bold doesn't see the wifi connection!

Someone from another forum suggested using the ff settings:
Beacon 50
DTIM interval 3
Fragmentation Threshold 2304
RTS Threshold 2304

Any tips before I throw away this Linksys?

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 11-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
JayGee

Model: 7100t
Carrier: tmobile

never seem to have that problem
Old 11-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
ang_pilosopo

Message I get is "Failed to connect to the network."
My wife's Nokia is able to connect but my Bold doesn't.
In a public Wifi area I get connected. So I suspect it's the router.

I'm wondering what could be possibly causing this.

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #12
MilesHES

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

HI there, try switching off the WPA or WEP security and just using access control for security. This will generally speed up your network speed, which always helps. Also you need to set the 801.b.g.n to mixed or all as the bold does not have N. Hope something helps.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
ang_pilosopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesHES View Post
HI there, try switching off the WPA or WEP security and just using access control for security. This will generally speed up your network speed, which always helps. Also you need to set the 801.b.g.n to mixed or all as the bold does not have N. Hope something helps.
Hi I'm sorry I'm not very technical.
How do I switch to access control? Im using wep.

801.b.g.n - I don't understand this.

Thanks.

8900 and 9700
www.twitter.com/rvmitra
Closed Thread