Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
grape8pe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Gmail - Advice Needed

Please Login to Remove!

I'm torn between to evils concerning my Blackberry and Gmail. I've just set my email accounts to run through gmail and I was loving the elimination of spam and near instant notifications of email on my Blackberry.

I've noticed a problem that others are having with gmail, when I receive an email from gmail, I can only reply using my gmail account. I have my work email address forwarded to gmail, I when I recieve an email from my work (being redirected through gmail), it doesn't give me the "send using" option. Is there any workaround for this?

My only other option is going back to recieving my email through BIS, without using gmail, but then all my spam is back (about 20-25 per day).
Old 11-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
balibe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100i

Leave the Gmail setup the way you have it.

Setup the other accounts in BIS and use filters to prevent the email from being forwarded to the BB. This should give you the "Send Using" option for the account you want to reply from.

Use the option "When no filter applies" check the option "Do not forward messages to the handheld"

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
grape8pe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by balibe
Leave the Gmail setup the way you have it.

Setup the other accounts in BIS and use filters to prevent the email from being forwarded to the BB. This should give you the "Send Using" option for the account you want to reply from.

Use the option "When no filter applies" check the option "Do not forward messages to the handheld"
I did this and still no "Send Using" in the reply option. The option is there when I compose a new message and when I forward a message, just not when I reply.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
balibe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100i

Sorry, my bad, I missed that before. That is a flaw of BIS 2.* [IMHO]. You cannot change the "Send Using" when replying to a message. The option is only available for New & FWD'd emails.

There is a program called BBReply you can try, do a search here on the forums for a link. Not sure if you use PocketDay, you can set Reply Address's in the options also.

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 11-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape8pe
I'm torn between to evils concerning my Blackberry and Gmail. I've just set my email accounts to run through gmail and I was loving the elimination of spam and near instant notifications of email on my Blackberry.

I've noticed a problem that others are having with gmail, when I receive an email from gmail, I can only reply using my gmail account. I have my work email address forwarded to gmail, I when I recieve an email from my work (being redirected through gmail), it doesn't give me the "send using" option. Is there any workaround for this?

My only other option is going back to recieving my email through BIS, without using gmail, but then all my spam is back (about 20-25 per day).
I don't have this problem but I forward my Gmail to my 8100 and maybe that's the difference, I don't use the TMO site to foward. I never send from gmail although its the only account I receive from, on both outlook and my BB.

In outlook, I changed the outgoing smtp server settings for my gmail account to Yahoo and my BB is responding from my TMO BB account. All of my POP/work/HTML accounts are forwarded to GMAIL.

You shouldn't have to use "send from"... I can't reply from my Gmail account because of the "on behalf of [email address]" stuff and it must appear as though it came from my work account.

Last edited by phjnky; 11-09-2006 at 09:38 PM..
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

The program you want is "Reply as New". It creates a new email with the original content and then you can choose on BIS 2.0 which account you are sending on. However, you will only have the option of your work account if it is otherwise integrated with your Blackberry.
Personally, I suggest forgetting about gmail and using your blackberry.net account to emulate your work account. Have you work emails forwarded to it and set it so that a blind copy of every outgoing email from your blackberry on that account is sent to your work. Lastly create a filter on BIS to prevent outgoing emails from bouncing back to your blackberry. It's very effective.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #7
gren2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: bell

where do you get the "reply as new" program

thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
jpb39
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
Carrier: SFR/Giffgaff
Default email 'aliases' in Gmail

Another potential option would be to set up your Gmail account to allow you to send outgoing mail with your work address as your 'from' address (though the msg header will still identify the google servers, if that is a problem). Then, using the Gmail BB app, you could try to reply using an aliased account. I can't verify whether the Gmail app supports this yet, because it doesn't currently work with TMO in the UK (as discussed in the other ongoing Gmail thread in this forum). But aliases should work, in principle.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
jeremyw501
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb39
Another potential option would be to set up your Gmail account to allow you to send outgoing mail with your work address as your 'from' address (though the msg header will still identify the google servers, if that is a problem). Then, using the Gmail BB app, you could try to reply using an aliased account. I can't verify whether the Gmail app supports this yet, because it doesn't currently work with TMO in the UK (as discussed in the other ongoing Gmail thread in this forum). But aliases should work, in principle.

I have the gmail app and a cingular service 8700. In my "desktop" gmail I have the option set up to be able to send from different 'from' addresses. This option is not avalible on the gmail bb app.
FYI
although I would expect google is working on this. Lord know they are doing evrything else.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gren2
where do you get the "reply as new" program

thanks
This is the OTA link for Reply as New:
http://www.crossriversystems.com/files/pf/pdrn.jad
Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc
The program you want is "Reply as New". It creates a new email with the original content and then you can choose on BIS 2.0 which account you are sending on. However, you will only have the option of your work account if it is otherwise integrated with your Blackberry.
Personally, I suggest forgetting about gmail and using your blackberry.net account to emulate your work account. Have you work emails forwarded to it and set it so that a blind copy of every outgoing email from your blackberry on that account is sent to your work. Lastly create a filter on BIS to prevent outgoing emails from bouncing back to your blackberry. It's very effective.
Is it different than the BBReply?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #12
cooperpwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan
Is it different than the BBReply?
Never used BBReply but I believe that it's completely different. Several programs (including, if I'm correct, BBReply) let you change an email's Reply-To address. Reply as New is a whole different animal that lets you switch a reply between accounts registered in BIS 2.0. The key point is that this changes your From address.
Closed Thread