BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
tomcruzner

Default Blackberry 7250 & Desktop Manager 4.0

Please Login to Remove!

ok... I received my 7250 on Saturday and I cannot see how everyone loves these things !!!

3. How do you dial when you're driving down the road... you cannot even see the buttons.

2. even when you press the buttons, no backlight comes on unless you press the pin sized button to turn it on!

MY #1 PROBLEM ###################
1. The Desktop Manager keeps crashing and I have not been able to SYNC anything... I did a google search and found 200+ messages with the same problem dating back to October 2004... but no solution.... I've messed with this software for over 14 hours during the last 2 days without success.... very fustrating! I'm running Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2003 and either the desktop manager crashed or the application just quits without an error message. No Sync, no nothing!!! UGH!

Anyone else run into the same or different issues? How did you resolve?

... I'm giving it until next Saturday and if I cannot get it running correctly I'm sending it back!

OWNING THIS DEVICE HAS BEEN SO FUSTRATING !!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Re: Blackberry 7250 & Desktop Manager 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcruzner
ok... I received my 7250 on Saturday and I cannot see how everyone loves these things !!!

3. How do you dial when you're driving down the road... you cannot even see the buttons.

If you hold the space bar the backlit should turn on and jump to the phone app.

2. even when you press the buttons, no backlight comes on unless you press the pin sized button to turn it on!

See above, there is also a great app called BBLight which enables always on backlit

MY #1 PROBLEM ###################
1. The Desktop Manager keeps crashing and I have not been able to SYNC anything... I did a google search and found 200+ messages with the same problem dating back to October 2004... but no solution.... I've messed with this software for over 14 hours during the last 2 days without success.... very fustrating! I'm running Windows XP Pro, Outlook 2003 and either the desktop manager crashed or the application just quits without an error message. No Sync, no nothing!!! UGH!

Do you have you USB cable connected direct to the computer or via a hub? Sync errors do seem to occur when connected through a hub. If that's not the case can you get a copy of desktop manager 3.6.x.x difference is minimal but I find it works like a charm with Outlook 2003. I have a co-worker whom doesn't have the exact issue as yours but something along the line with Ourlook 2003 on desktop manager 4.0.0.3

Anyone else run into the same or different issues? How did you resolve?

... I'm giving it until next Saturday and if I cannot get it running correctly I'm sending it back!

OWNING THIS DEVICE HAS BEEN SO FUSTRATING !!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
tomcruzner

I will try your suggestion of loading 3.6 and let you know.... tks
Old 02-14-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
tomcruzner

...un=installed 4.0, did a reboot, started the installation of 3.6 and it stops to say something to the effect of "install interrupted.... quitting".

I can't win.

Happy Valentines Days everyone!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
BB_WayCool
Knows Where the Search Button Is

tomcruzner, I had a problem similar to this. It turned out to be a corrupted Outlook file. Are you syncing to Outlook?

With my problem, the first time I did a clean install of Desktop Manager and tried to sync the application just dissappeared. After that everytime I attempted to sync, I would get a Microsoft error, which would shut down Desktop Manager.

If you have this problem, your .PST or .OST file is corrupted. There is a utility called scanpst, which you can find using a search. You can run that against your main .PST or .OST file. Mine is called Outlook.OST (off line file). The file can be found at Documents &Settings/username/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook.

I ran the utility against that file. It showed errors. I took the repair option, but it didn't fix the problem. I had to remame Outlook.OST to Outlook.Old and then resync all my data from Exchange and it cleaned up the problem.

It has happened once since, but scanpst cleared it up and I haven't seen it since.

I spent many hours last weekend with VZW and RIM support to fix this, but once you know what it is, its easy to fix with one of these two methods. I di this writeup hoping to help someone avoid a lot of pain. Its worth it because the device rocks!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #6
BB_WayCool

PS. I miss voice reco as well going from my old i700, but have made do a couple of ways on the 7250.

First of all, get a ProClip that holds your BB nicely so you can see it in the car. Secondly, program you device to speed dial frequently accessed numbers so you can do a one touch dial.

I found it fairly easy to find a number in my address book just by typing the first couple of letters of the name and then one handing the device with the trackwheel to get the call option, then choosing the right number. I agree its not as easy as voice reco, but workable.

In terms of the backlight, look on the 3rd part application forum here and there is a group working on PocketDay that has a hack that can keep the backlight on. You can get the utility with some others for free, but I am waiting on PocketDay that will include it. PocketDay looks like Pocket Informant which I used on my PocketPC, which actually makes your calendar and task list much more usable.

I have had a number of phones/smartphones and can't see ever leaving BB. If you use email/SMS a alot you can't beat it. If you just do voice and want a PIM, get another device. Hang in there.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
mikecp421

I agree with Tom on the backlight issues! I dont like it either! How did someone not think of this when making it! Anyway I learned about the space bar so I will try that whenever it is finished activating this Enterprise thing! Who knows how long that will take?!? Next I gotta figure out how to get the REQ thing working as it can't ever connect! I am searching.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
rlindsay

For the lighting issue - use the free download called BBLight. If you choose, it will keep the light on whenever the phone is out of the holster. Unless you leave your phone on your desk or car seat all day I don't think it will hurt your battery life to much.

I love it.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
mikecp421

ok I will give it a try!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #10
lenemery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: att
Default on the voice dial thang,

verizon has a service called voice gear which they're phasing out because "everyone has phones that voice dial" initial release of vg was awful, but it seemed to work ok when i used it about 4 months ago. i dropped it because i thought my i600 would have decent voice dial function.

if a bunch of bb users contacted vzn, press the menu selection button for "voice gear" and explained that it's dangerous to be selling phones that don't support voice dial, just maybe they'll provide voice gear to bb users until bb's have that function. it used to cost about 5$/month?

incremental cost to vzn wb tech support costs.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
pgb

Model: 7520
Angry Same problem with Application Loader dying...

I think this may be my problem.

I have windows 2000, outlook...
Running BDM 4.0.0.30

The Application Loader Wizzard just CLOSES suddenly without warning -- either before I try and update or during.

I've tried creating another profile in outlook and that didn't work. Any suggestions? I want the new 4.0 on my handheld so I can get the new HTML browser.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #12
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default BBlight application is great

This is my two cents' worth: I have been using the BBlight application since it was first released; I absolutely love it for its indespensible value.

The BBlight settings allow you to set it up so the backlighting activates when you unholster the Blackberry, and/or when you push any button, and/or when external power is being supplied, and/or at a certain time of the day, with a selectable duration period.

This application is a must-have if you use your Blackberry while driving, especially at night!

Here's the webpage where you can download the various BB applications.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/blackberrytools/
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 PM   #13
zuf

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb
The Application Loader Wizzard just CLOSES suddenly without warning -- either before I try and update or during.
This sounds like a problem I experienced when I first started working with the 4.0 desktop manager on my 7250. RIM has a knowledge base article describing the fix at http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...2834&vernum=12

Following the steps in "Workaround 1" worked for me.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #14
pgb

Model: 7520

I did the Workaround 1...

Does not seem to have solved my problem. Within 5 seconds of having the Application Loader Wizard up it just suddenly closed -- with no error message. It's almost like the connection to my bb is disconnecting for just a second -- but long enough to trigger the Loader Wizard to close. I don't know why it's doing this.

I have it up again now and it's staying.... been up now for a couple minutes without closing. It seems inconsistant. One time it will close quickly... another time it will close after a couple minutes. But I hate ---- OH IT JUST CLOSED. Anyway, I hate to execute the update and have it die midstream because of connection loss.

Ugh...

I may need to use someone elses's computer to see if it's my PC
Closed Thread