BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Is this something that has happened to your 8700?

Please Login to Remove!

I was at an event tonight and I checked my BB (bad habit) and I had 2-3 bars but when I tried to send a few messages, I got the symbol that it was trying to send but not able to as if no signal. Again, the screen said Edge with 2-3 bars. So I did not think anything of it and moved to a place I knew had a signal - nothing changed. So I went to turn wireless off to cycle it and it did nothing - just hung. Hmm I thought. So I pushed the power button to turn it off and it just hung on the Cingular splash screen for like 10 minutes!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I took the battery out and reset and then all went back to normal but this kind of behavior is very reminiscent of a Treo! I never had that happen in a year with the 7100g. The 8700 is only 2 weeks old.

Any thoughts would be great. Maybe an isolated incident, but annoying.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:34 AM   #2
thatboiwes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
PIN: 22D1C6A9
Carrier: at&t

Every now and then the data doesn't transfer on mine either. I don't know why. If I'm sending a message then I just click on resend. But if I'm browsing the internet, then I either try to reload the page or just wait for it.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
yustonuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Thanks for the reply. What you describe happens to me to every once in a while. This was very different - the whole OS just froze, when I tried to turn off wireless it did nothing, when I clicked it again it said "please wait, trying to shut down wireless" but did nothing. Again, then I tried to turn it off and it just hung on the Cingular splash screen for 20+ minutes - the only thing I could do is take the battery out.

This stinks as it seems very unreliable - something BB is supposed to be known for vs. the Treo.

Has anyone had something like this happen?
Old 03-31-2006, 10:57 AM   #4
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

every now and again i get what appears to be a network blip- shows full coverage (4-5 bars) but data doesn't seem to be exchanged. I won't recieve messages for 4-5 minutes (sometimes longer, possibly) and then all of a suddenly several pins/emails will come in at once. Or I'll have full coverage and can't send through data, as you described. It simply self-resolves without me doing anything.

It doesn't happen often and the delay is usually not significant. I'd say it's a less than weekly event.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Jelly Bean
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: torch
Carrier: at&t

yes has happened to me one time! I was actually talking on the phone when it happened. I had plenty of battery time, and was in perfect talk mode. Then with no warning conversation just went dead. Then I tried to redial and nothing. Could not make a call. So I tired the internet and nothing, no feature would work. The only way I fixed it was to take the battery completely out. Then it worked right away! I was worried I would have a problem after that, and it has never happened again. This was about a month ago. I recieved mine in Dec. and I use the bb daily.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
That70sGAdawg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670
Carrier: Sprint

Oh Noooo, Don't remind me of my Treo. It froze up all the time, once in a customers office trying to send them a file from my Treo. Of course, I can't do that on the Blackberry! Will somebody (never Microsoft) PLEASE make a stable and versitile device. For now the 8700c is bullet proof.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
chrisnol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by That70sGAdawg
Oh Noooo, Don't remind me of my Treo. It froze up all the time, once in a customers office trying to send them a file from my Treo. Of course, I can't do that on the Blackberry! Will somebody (never Microsoft) PLEASE make a stable and versitile device. For now the 8700c is bullet proof.
There is a program (free at the moment) that will let you transfer files on your home/office PC via your BB. See link below. I haven't tried it, but I think I saw a post or two about it working OK.

Link: http://www.avvenu.com/
Old 04-03-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
sfo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e

I'd say it happens once or twice a week. Given how extensively I use the 8700, that's acceptable. Comparing the 8700 to the Treo is like comparing Jennifer Aniston to Phylis Diller.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
linuxchickie

I've had that problem too. Also, after switching from T-Mobile on a 7230 to Cingular with an 8700c, my coverage where I live (extremely close to the Oakland Airport), often completely hangs when a plane is landing or taking off. When I say hang, I mean: if I am on the phone, my call will disconnect, or when I attempt a call, it will fail. It will look like I've got EDGE coverage, but I obviously don't since any attempts to use the internet will tell me that I'm not in an area with data coverage.

Yesterday, I was listening in on a conference call while driving home, and I noticed that I had voicemail, so I put the call on hold, checked my voicemail, and when i went to resume the call on hold, it wouldn't resume the call period. I tried a few times, and finally gave up and called back. Naturally, I pull up to my driveway and with planes landing low in the rain, my second con-call disconnects! When I try a third attempt to call back in, the call fails. Non-plussed, I gave up and called from a Lan line!

Now, luckily, the SOS features I need like MobileSSH and telnet have had less failures but still, my last device and carrier were a lot less problematic with all of my applications overall.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Carrier: Cingular

Mine has done that once or twice. I just figure my hamster is tired of running
Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Not happened to me in 4 months of ownership.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 PM   #12
xkon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700R
Carrier: Rogers

mine did do that with the older OS - bharti and forward I have not had this issue. Ditto with it rebooting when it connects to my BT carkit, it hasnt done that since either
Closed Thread