BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
applesseed

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Oh Where, Oh Where Could My BB App World Be?

Please Login to Remove!

I woke up this morning and got an alert in my inbox about a BlackBerry App World update for my Tour. So I followed the direction to upgrade the current version from 1.1.0.33 to the new version 1.1.0.35. After downloading, installing, it asked to reboot and so I did. After the reboot, the BB App World icon was nowhere to be found. I made sure the Show All has been checked and went to folders to folders making sure whether I'm blind or not, but spent countless hours pondering where it went. Even the alert in the inbox is missing as well - I don't delete these kind of things and messages are usually saved until I delete them manually.

Here's what it reads in the Application Center:

Blackberry App World
Research in Motion Limited
Installed Version: 1.1.0.35
New Version: 1.1.0.33

Button: *Install*

I carefully installed the BB App World 4 more times via the Application Center and still the icon is nowhere to be found. Yep, I even removed the battery and put it back in. Nada. Zip. Where's the icon?

At Options > Applications Add-on... yep.. the BB App World 1.1.0.35 is listed.

I even had 2 of my coworkers find the BB App World icon - they couldn't find it either.

Has anybody done a successful upgrade? Am I missing something?

Running...

Blackberry 9630
v5.0.0.591

Last edited by applesseed; 06-15-2010 at 02:49 AM..
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TBayTEL

This happened to me on my 9630 as well, I had to re-install App World.

Then I read where it said you already tried that, I wish I could delete this post. Sorry for no help at all
Old 06-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

It is my understanding that doing a Security Wipe of your device will resolve this issue.

1. Be advised:
* a. If you are on a BES account, you will need to reactivate your device on the corporate BES, likely getting a new activation password from your BES Admin.
* b. You should backup your device first, using Desktop Manager, and/or sync to Outlook if you do so.

2. Then proceed:
* On your device (for OS 5.0 devices), go to Options > Security > Security Wipe and proceed.
* On OS 4.7 and lesser devices, your path will be Options > Security > General Settings > press the Menu key > Wipe Handheld.
*Do not include third party applications/user installed in the wipe, uncheck that option.

3. Uncheck the "delete applications" options in the Security Wipe.

4. Proceed with the Security Wipe.

You check afterward to see if you find the AppWorld icon, and if not, install it from your browser at BlackBerry App World

Then, using Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore > Advanced, select to restore your backup file for re-adding your messages, contacts, calendar, etc., back to your device.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
applesseed

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks for your response JSanders...

I'm just curious why a Security Wipe would do the trick? I'm not on a BES account.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

...just does. It's only a workaround, but it works.

And, I have it on good knowledge that RIM is aware of this issue and working on it.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Capta1n

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodacom

The Security Wipe option DOES NOT WORK!!! once you have wiped the device, you can view an Appworld icon under Downloads, However if you open this it prompts you to install BB Appworld 1.1.0.35, after which the icon has dissapeared once again. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesseed View Post
I woke up this morning and got an alert in my inbox about a BlackBerry App World update for my Tour. So I followed the direction to upgrade the current version from 1.1.0.33 to the new version 1.1.0.35. After downloading, installing, it asked to reboot and so I did. After the reboot, the BB App World icon was nowhere to be found. I made sure the Show All has been checked and went to folders to folders making sure whether I'm blind or not, but spent countless hours pondering where it went. Even the alert in the inbox is missing as well - I don't delete these kind of things and messages are usually saved until I delete them manually.

Here's what it reads in the Application Center:

Blackberry App World
Research in Motion Limited
Installed Version: 1.1.0.35
New Version: 1.1.0.33

Button: *Install*

I carefully installed the BB App World 4 more times via the Application Center and still the icon is nowhere to be found. Yep, I even removed the battery and put it back in. Nada. Zip. Where's the icon?

At Options > Applications Add-on... yep.. the BB App World 1.1.0.35 is listed.

I even had 2 of my coworkers find the BB App World icon - they couldn't find it either.

Has anybody done a successful upgrade? Am I missing something?

Running...

Blackberry 9630
v5.0.0.591
i had this on my 9700, it would randomly hide app world. options/applications addons and remove app world, reboot the device and re downloading app world fixed it for me. hope you get the same results.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capta1n View Post
The Security Wipe option DOES NOT WORK!!! once you have wiped the device, you can view an Appworld icon under Downloads, However if you open this it prompts you to install BB Appworld 1.1.0.35, after which the icon has dissapeared once again. TOTAL WASTE OF TIME!!!
This has worked for most everyone I've seen try it, just as reinstalling usually works too. Not sure what is causing your problem but to come back and yell at someone for trying to help you is no way to conduct one's self.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capta1n View Post
You're a total waste of my time, too.
Closed Thread