BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
omars121

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default I Figured Out How To Downgrade To The Pearl's Original Software!!!

Please Login to Remove!

ok listen guys this took a long time to figure out but this is what i did....

mak sure u have the orignal CD that came in the box when you bought your bb pearl becasue u will need. most of the stuff i did was using a few differnt forums and putting it together......

first go to this forum... and follow it step by step.....
blackberryforums.com/rim-software/25937-how-perform-clean-uninstall-reinstall-blackberry-desktop-software.html[/url]

Reinstall everything and connect your BB
BUT DO NOT MAKE ANY APLICATION LOADS OR ANYTHING, JUT MAKE SURE THE PHONE WILL CONNECT AND THATS IT

ok once you do all of this.... go to this forum....blackberryforums.com/ringtones-themes-wallpaper-discussion/28821-blackberry-alx-edited-files-packaged-theme-installation-4-1-4-2-only.html[/url] find the link for the installer next to the 8100 SECTION (its the first link one) DO not download any of the ALX files...only the installer.....once it is done...in stall tthe software and open the desktop mamager.... From the top of the DESKTOP MANAGER clikc file, then OPEN and it should give you a prompt to DOWNGRADE

IF ANY BLACKBERRY SOFTWARE PRODUCERS READ THIS... I DONT LIKE THE UPGRADE ...WHY THE WOULD YOU TAKE OF THE AUTO DIM...

Reply to me guys ... let me know how it went..... and everyone.... go to .google.com/gmm]Google Maps on your phone and download google maps.... you will like it alot better then the BB maps....

Last edited by d_fisher; 12-01-2006 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate text
Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
p nut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm new to the Pearl. Why the downgrade? Are there some major glitches in the current version?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

you went through way to much trouble. Downgrading is the same as upgrading. You just uninstall the current version on your PC and install the version that you want. If it's an older version than what is on your phone, you have to manually start App Loader and then it will ask you if you want to downgrade.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
omars121

Carrier: t-mobile

i didnt know that...but i was frustrated about the auto dimming .... but i really hope this helps the people that are furstrated too...... you don't want to upgrade becasue the new software is just junk
Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut
I'm new to the Pearl. Why the downgrade? Are there some major glitches in the current version?
the original SW that came with the T-Mo launch allows you to disable the auto-dim feature. it is also pretty buggy other than that, and subsequent versions of the OS have made the platform much better, but have removed this one feature.
Honestly, the auto-dim save on battery power, and makes for better readabilty in sunlight, etc. I wish RIM would put a "sensitivity" level on it like they do the trackball, so it wouldn't trigger all the time when say, I'm walking down a row of fluorecent lights. :P

Also, GoogleMaps is great and all, but your data usage will go through the roof - it loads a new bitmap for every picture and zoom level, versus BBMaps that does vector rendering at different levels. If you want a better maps app I'd say look at TeleNav (optionally with a GPS puck).
Old 12-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
nigletsyz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by omars121
i didnt know that...but i was frustrated about the auto dimming .... but i really hope this helps the people that are furstrated too...... you don't want to upgrade becasue the new software is just junk
the ability to disable the auto dim is the only thing going for the originally released OS... but the rest of the bugs the latest os fixes (.67) makes it a no-brainer to update.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
paulmac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, way too much work, if you want to downgrade or make sure you have not ghost leftover from any previous OS look for an app call JL Commander, with it you can wipe your BB entirely leaving it with nothing. No data, no OS nothing. Suggest you do a backup first. Then you can load any version OS you want using the desktop software app loader.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD

This is a most valuable post, thanks for it.

I was wondering how to "downgrade" and all. Saw in here all kinds of ways to do it.

But I wiped the phone and reinstalled through DeskTop Manager's "Application Loader," just like you said.

It did ask me if I wanted to install the old OS [words to that effect], to which I said "hell yes" [words to that effect].

Ten minutes later, .42 is on the new phone I just received from warranty replacement.

Can it be as easy as you say? It went too smooth. Guess I'll sleep with one eye open for at least tonight.

Note: I did NOT install the new Desktop Manager T-MO released about Nov 17. I had kept my original disk-installed DM from Sept 2006.

So when I installed or "downgraded" to .42 tonight, it was via the original T-Mo DeskTop Manager. Not sure if that makes a difference, just mentioning in case it does.

Note: When the install was done, the hourglass went on and on for about 5 minutes. I did NOT do a thing, I just let it keep spinning because I recall reading a post where someone had assumed the install had crashed so he removed the battery to "reboot" and that caused all sorts of problems. Someone else posted in response that one has to be patient as the hourglass spins for a long time. That person was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinneycm
you went through way to much trouble. Downgrading is the same as upgrading. You just uninstall the current version on your PC and install the version that you want. If it's an older version than what is on your phone, you have to manually start App Loader and then it will ask you if you want to downgrade.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 12-07-2006 at 10:04 PM..
Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
kadukan

Default GPS for BB-Pearl!

Could any of you guys be kind enough to inform me of the best combination of GPS with my BB-Pearl suitable to be used in India and oblige.
Thanx!
Closed Thread