BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Best Practice Software Config Update?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all. I have a question on upgrade procedures for a current software configuration that is set up on my BES.

I have a current software configuration, let's call it version 1.0. No issues, OTA works great for me. I have received files to upgrade it to 1.5. Ran some tests off another shared directory and it works with my BB models. Cool.

I'd like to now put it into production and update all of the BB's with the current version. What's the best way? I've come up with two ways and wanted to see if anyone could add their 0.02.

-Update the current configuration with the new files and reindex it. I assume this would push out to the users with the old version and update it to the new version.

-Delete the current configuration and treat the upgrade as a new software configuration, then just push away. I am assuming that the application will just update itself on the target BBs and not add itself along side it. (fingers crossed)

I spoke to RIM supoprt this AM and was told to treat it like a new configuration and delete the current one, but the person I spoke with didn't give me much confidence as he had to put me on hold several times to 'do some research', then came back with an answer that had nothing to do with my question.

I did a couple of searches here and came up with a couple of threads, but they are a year or more old and use some older versions of BES.

Exchange 2003
BES 4.1.6

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: AT&T

You should be aware that if you put both versions in the same location, BES will push out the newer version.

I personally would create a new software config so I can manage the rollout. If you update the current software config you will not know who will get it when and pray that they all install successfully.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
bbnotes
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I had the same issue and gave up on finding a clean solution. Has this been addressed at all in BES 5?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

x14 - I had run two tests on this upgrade. One was a clean install and one was an upgrade. As you'd imagine the clean install worked without issue. The upgrade also worked well and I found no problems in any of the models I tested. (keep in mind that I had the upgrade files off another share than the older version)

BES wouldn't allow me to add the same app in the same share location.

You're right in that there is no easy way to track who gets the update sucessfully or not. I've decided to go the group route and just associate the apps I need to groups and then assign groups. Luckily, my industry doesn't have a lot of custom software configurations.

I plan to delete the old version and add the updated version as if it was a new software configuration. Update to follow as this will be done over next weekend.

Thanks for your input.