Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #21
barees
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Rivviepop,

The next update will include the ability to copy GPX files to the SD card and import them from there, the windows utility is simply a USB transfer tool, the BlackBerry app itself parses the GPX (XML) file into an internal CacheBerry format.

I am also looking at implementing direct HTTP transfer where you would submit your GPX to our website and have a URL sent to the device to download it.

My initial design for CacheBerry was going to use email as the transfer mechanism but unfortunately support for mail attachments on the BlackBerry is unworkable (I actually did create a web-service which broke the GPX into x-rimdevice chunks and emailed them to the device where they were reassembled and parsed but it just seemed too clunky).

Bruce
Old 02-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #22
barees

Hi Thunder33cat,

The GPS app I'm working on is not a mapping program, there are plenty of mapping alternatives out there but nothing decent for finding waypoints offroad and creating breadcrumb tracks etc. I have a Freedom 2000 keychain GPS and have not been able to find anything worthwhile.. the only GPS program (which shall remain nameless) that claims to have Geocaching functions crashes constantly when using Bluetooth requiring a battery reset.

My main motivation for writing a GPS app is so I can use my too-cool keychain

For now CacheBerry is intended as a companion to a real GPS unit (we use a Garmin Vista) to allow paperless geocaching.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

That sounds fine, Bruce. I'll gladly add it to my arsenal alongside my 60CSX and keep my GPS puck waiting patiently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barees View Post
Hi Thunder33cat,

The GPS app I'm working on is not a mapping program, there are plenty of mapping alternatives out there but nothing decent for finding waypoints offroad and creating breadcrumb tracks etc. I have a Freedom 2000 keychain GPS and have not been able to find anything worthwhile.. the only GPS program (which shall remain nameless) that claims to have Geocaching functions crashes constantly when using Bluetooth requiring a battery reset.

My main motivation for writing a GPS app is so I can use my too-cool keychain

For now CacheBerry is intended as a companion to a real GPS unit (we use a Garmin Vista) to allow paperless geocaching.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 02-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #24
schnider

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular

Cool application, at least I hope. I have an 8830 and I just tried to send a GPX file with 500 (2.88M of data) caches to it. It actually sent pretty fast (about 30 seconds), but I have been on this step for quite a while:

7. Once the transfer is complete and CacheBerry displays "Analyzing GPX file" you can disconnect the USB cable.

I bet it has been Analyzing for about 10 minutes. FYI - It actually says, "Analysing GPX." You might want to correct that typo in an update.

Last edited by schnider; 02-28-2008 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: More info.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #25
schnider

Oops I just read this part too:

"Loading a large GPX file (eg. a 500 cache pocket query) will take several minutes, please be patient."

I just thought it was only refeting to the actual transfer part. I guess it must also mean the whole thing including the analyzing part.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 AM   #26
barees

But 10 minutes is definitely too long, on my 8320 it takes about 5 minutes in total to load 500 caches including the analyzing stage (which is just counting waypoint elements in order to display a progress bar during the actual XMl parsing stage).. let me know if it completed ok?

Thanks!
Bruce
Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 AM   #27
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

FYI: Just in case I am not the only one that has never heard of geocaching before..

Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 540,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the sport. Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[
Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 AM   #28
schnider

And it's a lot of family fun. Go check it out:

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 AM   #29
barees

Smile New BETA V0.91 has SD-Card support

Hi All,

I won't make a habit of announcing every build in this thread but since some members asked I thought I would mention that the Beta version now online has the ability to copy GPX files to the Media card (using Mass Storage Mode for example) and import them directly on the the device.

This means the Desktop utility is not required so it will work for Mac and Linux users.

Cheers,
Bruce
Old 02-29-2008, 04:43 AM   #30
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: HK CSL

I just figured out I can also import those GPX files into Spot. This app has GPS and map support and overlay the caches on top of a map. Well, it is pretty hard to use - I needed some time to get used to it. Also the network setup was not that easy, but it worked in the end

There is also stated native .loc geocache.com support. Didn't try that yet, but I will do so soon.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 AM   #31
Devices

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers (Canada)
Talking Very nice app

Hi Bruce,
my corporate BB Firewall prevented me from using Spot, so I ended up buying a Garmin GPS. I have been trying to figure out how I could go paperless caching, and a friend pointed me towards this app. It is exactly what I needed! It's quite simple to use the same pocket query gpx file, and load all the data onto my BB. I'm not really looking to use my 7290 as my GPS, but it's a great companion to store all the details for the trails. I'll be heading out today to try it out, but so far, SO good!
Cheers!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #32
schnider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devices View Post
Hi Bruce,
my corporate BB Firewall prevented me from using Spot, so I ended up buying a Garmin GPS. I have been trying to figure out how I could go paperless caching, and a friend pointed me towards this app. It is exactly what I needed! It's quite simple to use the same pocket query gpx file, and load all the data onto my BB. I'm not really looking to use my 7290 as my GPS, but it's a great companion to store all the details for the trails. I'll be heading out today to try it out, but so far, SO good!
Cheers!
Let us know what you think. Though I am quite sure you will like it. I used to carry my GPSr, phone, and a PocketPC. Now I can just keep my GPS in my hand, and my phone on my hip. If I need some help, it's right there.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #33
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I just wanted to update and say this program is maturing nicely. I especially like the ability to show the geocache entries on Google Maps or Blackberry Maps.

One thing I've found is that if I load a big gpx file I (obviously) lose a ton of memory. This is to be expected, so I don't perceive this as a problem. However, since I'm a relatively infrequent geocacher, I don't want that much memory consumed all of the time.

My workaround: create a very small gpx file with a single entry and use it to overwrite the database. My main gpx files reside on the card and can be reloaded as needed.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #34
schnider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder33cat View Post
I just wanted to update and say this program is maturing nicely. I especially like the ability to show the geocache entries on Google Maps or Blackberry Maps.

One thing I've found is that if I load a big gpx file I (obviously) lose a ton of memory. This is to be expected, so I don't perceive this as a problem. However, since I'm a relatively infrequent geocacher, I don't want that much memory consumed all of the time.

My workaround: create a very small gpx file with a single entry and use it to overwrite the database. My main gpx files reside on the card and can be reloaded as needed.
I did see in the CacheBerry forums that you said you posted both here and there. I am sure Bruce will get back to you soon in the CacheBerry forums. I know I asked him about this some time ago too. I just wanted to clear them all out and start over. Not really for a space issue, but more for a fresh start. I just can't remember what he told me, sorry .
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #35
netguydave

Carrier: Verizon

I can't find the Cachberry Desktop link? What am I missing?
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM   #36
schnider

Here are the instructions:

CacheBerry - Download CacheBerry

Here is the link to download the Desktop Software:

http://www.cacheberry.com/download/C...rryDesktop.exe

Hope that helps.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #37