davidlleroy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 301880B6
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
There is absolutely no charge/fee whatsoever. The catch really is that they are in BETA right now and once 1) they're out of beta and 2) you're hooked on it - they will start charging. Nobody knows how much.

--Kidd
Exactly!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #22
ikasen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Personally, the whole "other people transcribing my personal stuff" is a total dealbreaker. I figured it was voice recognition at first. Why would I transcribe my own stuff when I could just send a text when I'm done driving. If necessary, I could record an idea with voice recorder and "transcribe it later". Just not what I originally thought it was, and that's why I waited to download it till I read about it for a while.

Last edited by ikasen; 10-20-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Old 10-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #23
AlexKidd

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikasen View Post
Personally, the whole "other people transcribing my personal stuff" is a total dealbreaker. I figured it was voice recognition at first. Why would I transcribe my own stuff when I could just send a text when I'm done driving. If necessary, I could record an idea with voice recorder and "transcribe it later". Just not what I originally thought it was, and that's why I waited to download it till I read about it for a while.
If you go into the control panel, they have a specific "privacy setting" option where your text messages are never heard by transcribers and actually work exactly like you state - the voice source is available for download and you can do whatever you want with it then.

If that's all you want though, i believe you could call your own voicemail and just leave yourself voicemails to get the same effect - and you don't have to worry about it starting to cost you money in the future.

--Kidd
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 AM   #24
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Verizon

Back from the dead:

Released today btw.
Reply to BlackBerry e-mail hands-free! | Computerworld Blogs
Jott for BlackBerry

Last edited by someonexh; 03-31-2008 at 09:13 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

FYI: I am trying it out now to see how it works.
/edit

Tested it out:

Pretty nice. You have 30 seconds to say what you want (May not seem that long but within 10 - 15 seconds I had a decent sized paragraph) and it gets translated to text for you. It takes about 5 minutes or so for the user to get the email. It has translated everything almost 100% perfect. I am amazed.

Last edited by someonexh; 03-31-2008 at 09:54 AM..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
davidlleroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
FYI: I am trying it out now to see how it works.
/edit

Tested it out:

Pretty nice. You have 30 seconds to say what you want (May not seem that long but within 10 - 15 seconds I had a decent sized paragraph) and it gets translated to text for you. It takes about 5 minutes or so for the user to get the email. It has translated everything almost 100% perfect. I am amazed.
Anyone know if there is any way to create an email signaure for the BB service? It sucks having to say your name and contact information at the end of every Jott.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

If you go into "Settings" there is a spot for "My signature"
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
davidlleroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
If you go into "Settings" there is a spot for "My signature"
Hopefully I'm not missing something extremely simple. I added the signature through the setting page, however I still don't see my signaure coming through when I use e blackberry response or even with a typical "jot". Is anyone else having this issue?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:22 PM   #29
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

pretty nice software.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #30
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Any way to take out the signature they have at the bottom of each message.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #31
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlleroy View Post
Hopefully I'm not missing something extremely simple. I added the signature through the setting page, however I still don't see my signaure coming through when I use e blackberry response or even with a typical "jot". Is anyone else having this issue?
Hmm I guess you're right. I don't see where it is actually putting the sig that i custom made as well. Have you tried adding a picture to see if that made a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067 View Post
Any way to take out the signature they have at the bottom of each message.
Doubt it, part of it being free.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650

If I understand the program correctly you have to call a long distance number. Am I correct?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #33
nimocone

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

It's a 1-866 number...
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #34
davidlleroy

[QUOTE=someonexh;878911]Hmm I guess you're right. I don't see where it is actually putting the sig that i custom made as well. Have you tried adding a picture to see if that made a difference.
QUOTE]

Yea, I added the pic but still no signature showing up. I emailed Jott to ask fo theit help but no response yet. I will keep everyone updated. That would suck if you couldn't add your signature.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:21 AM   #35
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlleroy View Post
Yea, I added the pic but still no signature showing up. I emailed Jott to ask fo theit help but no response yet. I will keep everyone updated. That would suck if you couldn't add your signature.
True, I also can't seem to use Jott to reply to text messages.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #36
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24546662

Tried it as well, seems to work fine, but I'd like a buzz word like "OVER" to signal that I am done with my message instead of waiting. The "lady" had a difficult time hearing "Me" but Hello World came through fast...reminds me of that TV ad where some guy has to speak "big boy" into his phone as a password. This will most likely be too expensive to retain after the beta goes firm.
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #37
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

You can also press a key to stop it from recording.

I honestly feel the same way you do, it seems neat, but more of a toy or something I wouldnt use that often.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #38
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 24546662

I also feel less secure about a live transcription than an automated speech to text conversion as well. I often need to send semi-private info to myself. What is the location of the folks who do the transcription?
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt
Old 04-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #39
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

This is a review I wrote for another forum

This is my personal review of the Jott for BlackBerry software.

BlackBerry 8130 Pearl
Platform: 3.1.0.51
Application Version: 4.3.0.97

Jott for BlackBerry version 1.1 (beta)

This is a voice transcription program for email/SMS, used with the native BlackBerry Message program.

Currently only supported for 8100 series, 8300 series, and 8800 series.

I came across this application almost by accident, and thought it sounded like a tool that could be useful, so I gave it a shot.

The download and install wasn't hard, and is only available OTA at Jott for BlackBerry . You do have to change the application permission, or it may lock up your device, but this isn't too uncommon for 3rd party apps. It does require you to sign up for the Jott service and verify both your e-mail and telephone number. In this current beta version, this is free, but this will be a pay service once the final release is done.

There are a couple of ways to Jott. Once the installation is complete, you can simply go to any email or SMS in your message folder, press the menu key, and you have the option now to "reply with Jott" and "reply all with Jott." Once selected, just press any key to start recording, speak your message, and press and hold any key to send. It sends and email with your recorded voice as an attachment out, transcribes it to text, and forwards it to the desired recipient. I used this option the most by far. The default setting is speaker phone on, but this can be changes to off, or to use your BlueTooth headset.

The other option is to set up contacts and groups through the website. Once you have set up contacts, you can call the toll free number Jott provides you with, and use spoken commands to send Jotts to specific people or groups. You can also set up To Do lists, or Jott yourself with reminders that will send you an email or SMS at whatever time to designate. Through this phone service, you can also get information sent to your email from a variety of websites, including Amazon.com. Simply call the Jottline (This is a NickfromIL orignal nickname) and say, for example, you call, say "Amazon", it beeps, and you say "Blackberry Pearl," it will send you an e-mail of the search results in HTML format. Not the greatest tool for BB users without a 3rd party email viewer, but that is only one of the web service feature it has.

From my experience with this, here are the Pro's and Con's.

Pro's

Smooth integration with the default BB Email client - simply adds menu options

Convenient - Now I can email while driving (Jott does not recommend this) or other times I may be able to talk, but not type.

Sends a confirmation email back to you, exactly how it appears to the recipient. I found this comforting to be able and see that what I said was transcribed correctly. This option can be disabled by changing your account options online.

Seems to understand basic grammatical rules. Inserts commas and periods when you pause your speech.

Includes a link in the sent emails for people to listen to what you said, in case the transcription isn't accurate.

Jott myself feature worked nicely, and the reminders came at the time specified, but with the nice calader that it native to the BB, I wouldn't use this much.

Works with BlueTooth headsets.

Current (beta) version is free.

Con's

Reply with Jott feature (through device) has a 30 second limit. Not sure if dialing the toll-free number has the same cutoff time.

I experienced an average delay of 8 minutes from time sent to time received. Not necessarily bad, but as BlackBerry users we are spoiled with instant/near instant email.

Transcriptions often not 100% accurate. "Alan" transcribed as "Ellen", sometimes is would drop "a" out of the sentence, "of" turned to "if". It would often enter a comma where a period should be, and vice versa. This issue may be resolved with some practice of annunciating more clearly, and you can always spell out words that you think it may not get, like proper nouns.

So when all is said and done, I love the concept behind this, but I would only use it in a pinch. Hopefully, with some time they will enhance the speech recognition software, and then it would be a great product. This is still only a beta version, not a final release, so I will be sure and try it again once it is released. Others may have better luck, depending on how clearly they naturally speak, so go ahead and give it a try while its free.

Jott for BlackBerry

Jott.com and Jott are trademarks of Jott Networks Inc. - Get more done with hands free mobile email, text/sms and to do lists.
©Copyright 2007 Jott Networks Inc. All Rights Reserved.

For a good time call...Verizon Wireless PDA Support!
Old 04-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #40
davidlleroy

Anyone figured out the signture issue yet?

I still haven't had any feedback from Jott directly.