BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
NiKTaMeR

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default 8830 Time is off ! Any ways to sync it automatically ?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

We have had a 8830 for a while at work and can't get this fixed. It seems that every month or so the time get unsynced by about 1 or 2 minutes and we have to resync it every time.

I know that there is a thread that talks about the time time not updating automatically through a timezone change, but there is none in my situation. Now the problem is when you have 100 people in a business that have meetings and that some of them go 4-5 months without any update of time you can have someone being 5-6 minutes fast and someone else 5-6 minutes fast or someone looking at the real time and someone looking at his BB ...

I have tried calling the ''advanced'' support we are entitled to and like I had thought the guy was clueless. So what I am looking for is a way to make the time either more accurate or the get it to sync automatically every so ofter either with network or BB server. If someone has any info to shar it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
NiK

Last edited by NiKTaMeR; 05-09-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

I tend to 'update time' when I change time zone while traveling. That is probably why I keep good time on mine. I never notice it more than a minute off.

I recommend against setting DM to sync clocks, if that is what you are considering. I think it would be better to just 'update time' from the date/time menu in options, and do it periodically as a habit.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

set the time to BlackBerry. i have found that it keeps much better time that way
Old 05-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #4
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
set the time to BlackBerry. i have found that it keeps much better time that way
I use the same but you still have to do the "Update Time" manually
Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
gcpicken

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I use the same but you still have to do the "Update Time" manually
Maybe I'm naive, as a newbie, but I totally don't get why the clocks should not be synched. As sophisticated as the thing is.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's just the way it is. May not be a good answer, but in the bigger scheme of things it satisfies me.

On the blackberry vs network setting, I've done both and never saw a reason to prefer one over the other. I think I've had mine set to network now for a while.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcpicken View Post
Maybe I'm naive, as a newbie, but I totally don't get why the clocks should not be synched. As sophisticated as the thing is.
You are not the first to wonder but it is simply the way it is and has been as long as I can remember and I been using Blackberry for a LONG time.

Maybe the new 9000 with ti new fancy OS will give you the option to have it sync the clock. It is not a big problem, I do it once a month and it seldom even changes the clock when I do.

Try to forgive the device for not doing everything you want as RIM could not make everyone happy. Embrace it for what it CAN do!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I know that I enjoy not having it automatically sync'd to the network time. At work the clocks are a couple minutes fast "No way to change them manually" ... So I have my Blackberry Sync'd to work time.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
jmhultin

Carrier: verizon

I'm a bit stunned - I've always had the lowest tech cell phones, and they change automatically when I switch time zones. With my 8830, the time won't change, even when I "update time", either set on Blackberry or Network. Do I have to manually change the time zone from Mountain to Eastern when I travel?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhultin
I'm a bit stunned - I've always had the lowest tech cell phones, and they change automatically when I switch time zones. With my 8830, the time won't change, even when I "update time", either set on Blackberry or Network. Do I have to manually change the time zone from Mountain to Eastern when I travel?
Update Time only corrects the time. It does not change the time zone. The user manually changes the time zone setting.

For what it's worth, the blackberry is not a cell phone. It has a cell phone, and does a lot of other things too. Blackberrys are different.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #11
Stoo06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

For what it's worth, the blackberry is not a cell phone. It has a cell phone, and does a lot of other things too. Blackberrys are different.
This sounds like the response I got in another thread where I was complaining about the lack of some features when compared to my TREO... Someone said "It's not a PDA.. embrace the new way of doing things!"

So are we saying it's a crappy cell phone AND a crappy PDA??? It doesn't leave much! As mentioned, you would think that something which is allegedly as "sophisticated" as it is, that the manufacturer would include some of these very simple features... synching the clock, automatically changing time zones, easily scheduling appointments etc...

Last edited by Stoo06; 05-13-2008 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

No device is all things to all people. If the blackberry does not meet your priority needs, then it's better for you to find a device that does. That is the best device for you: The one that does what you need better than any other.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Stoo06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post

No device is all things to all people. If the blackberry does not meet your priority needs, then it's better for you to find a device that does. That is the best device for you: The one that does what you need better than any other.
I understand that, and I'm seriously considering going back to me TREO. I am just surprised at the number of apparent shortcomings with this gizmo, considering all the fans it has. I have just been looking for some solutions regarding adjusting ringer volumes and so on and yet again, I see that there are numerous "issues" surrounding this very simple adjustment. For cryin' out loud, how difficult can it be to have a simple control to adjust ringer volumes that isn't dependant on the volume of the last speakerphone volume control setting.. or something!

Last edited by Stoo06; 05-13-2008 at 07:45 AM..
Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I suspect that some of the differences of opinion stem from the original base of BB users -- corporate world and their needs/wants -- and the consumer world. The time zone issue is one of those.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #15
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo06 View Post
I understand that, and I'm seriously considering going back to me TREO. I am just surprised at the number of apparent shortcomings with this gizmo, considering all the fans it has. I have just been looking for some solutions regarding adjusting ringer volumes and so on and yet again, I see that there are numerous "issues" surrounding this very simple adjustment. For cryin' out loud, how difficult can it be to have a simple control to adjust ringer volumes that isn't dependant on the volume of the last speakerphone volume control setting.. or something!
I have not embraced it features as much as accepted what I view as shortcomings. Others appear to see the BB as their child and it can do no wrong. I, too, find the "time sync" or rather lack thereof, odd. I am definitely someone who does not necessarily want to investigate what time zone some city in the midwest is located in when trying to set an appt if I were going there. Yesterday I read a post about someone traveling and wanting to input their itinerary but they did not know the time zone of each stop - to set stuff involved finding out each timezone. Okay, I know it does not do this but why fans support this is another story - at least, an option????

The device is far from perfect - and ringer volume is just one shortcoming. Folks around here accept MEMORY LEAKS as just normal while I have no doubt the same folks curse MS when Windows leaks memory.

Last edited by FF2; 05-13-2008 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Folks around here accept MEMORY LEAKS as just normal while I have no doubt the same folks curse MS when Windows leaks memory.
Even though I may be accused on being a fan, I would have to agree with you on this point. To me this (memory leak) is the biggest fault of the device.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #17
Stoo06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I suspect that some of the differences of opinion stem from the original base of BB users -- corporate world and their needs/wants -- and the consumer world. The time zone issue is one of those.
Really? I would have thought time zones affect us all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I have not embraced it features as much as accepted what I view as shortcomings. Others appear to see the BB as their child and it can do no wrong.
Well said. It is a neat little gizmo and DOES handle email far better than my TREO did. And I "get" that is it's main function. But so far, I would say that it does almost everything else "less well" than my TREO did. Correction... it handles attachments to emails better too!)

I guess the thing I have trouble understanding is if the makers can sort out the tricky email issues, why can't or don't they sort out the easy stuff! I don't accept that it's "Corporate" vs. "Small Business". Ringer volumes, ease of scheduling appointments etc. are manged badly on a BB. Period. It doesn't matter who's using it.

I am a huge fan of RIM. I live 30 km from Waterloo and they are the poster child of the tech industry around here, so don't think for a moment that have a grudge against them! But as FF2 pointed out, it seems that many on here are "rabid" fans of the BB and that's OK, but the "accept it with all it's warts" argument only goes so far!

I sent RIM a long email last night in their Owners Lounge so I can't imagine that they don't have a team of developers resolving my concerns as we speak!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #18
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Yes, time zones do affect all of us, just perhaps in ways that you haven't yet contemplated. The time zone issue has been discussed at great length on this board. Where it is most helpful is if you have people working on a common project across multiple time zones, some of whom may be traveling and may not even know where they are going to be next Thursday, but a conference call has to get scheduled with the entire team -- regardless of where they are. What is the best way to do that? To schedule it according to GMT so everyone can calculate the time according to the time zone that they are in.

I frankly find ringer volume a non-issue on the 8830, but that is me -- I don't work in a noisy environment, and scheduling appointments is a breeze -- especially when I'm scheduling with colleagues across the country.

Regardless, good luck with those suggestions. If RIM should elect to implement some of them, I do hope that they will make them optional because not everyone shares the certainty of your opinion.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Stoo06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
... not everyone shares the certainty of your opinion.
Ah, that's just 'cause they haven't known me long enough! I agree with much of what you said... even the time zone thing. Maybe the compromise is an "on/off" feature. Then we'd all be happy!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
NiKTaMeR

Carrier: Bell
Default Drifting away from original issue ...

Guys ... I do find it completly ridiculous that a 400$ ''gizmo with a cell phone feature'' could not automatically switch time zone when my 8 years old free nokia 3390 could but that is besides the point... I am not even asking it to changing timezone ... I am only asking that this ''400$ gizmo with a clock'' would hold the time not better but just AS GOOD as a 10$ watch at Walmart. It is totally unacceptable that a business timeplanning device would not ... well ... allow for good timeplanning ...

I have VPs in the organization whinning at IT because short meeting are always screwed by the weird time on BB... Some are 4-5 minutes fast some are 1 or 2 minutes slow ... some update their time manually so are on time ... this creates bad situaions when a meeting is supposed to last 15 minutes and there is 8 minutes differences between the arrivals of the participants ...

There must be a way for the BB to keep the time appropriately.

NiK
Closed Thread