Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
King Solomon

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Angry Verizon Blackberry "Curve" 8330 - Don't Waste Your Time

Please Login to Remove!

Problems are numerous:

- The Blackberry Version 4.3 Browsers are the same crappy versions from four years ago dating back to Version 4.0. I need to access my work E-mail using Outlook Web Access on Exchange 2003 which requires IE 5.0 or Netscape 4.8 or higher. I tried all five of the Blackberry browsers with all options checked and received server errors with all five. I tried to use the Outlook Web Access connector provided at the Blackberry website with the same result - error message. I tried loading Opera Mini (suggested on some forums/websites) and it does not even support https. Bottom line - I cannot access my work E-mail using Outlook Web Acccess - and no workarounds exist. Verizon Tech support refused to help - they only promise to support synchronization with the Blackberry Server - BES.

- As in previous version of Blackberry 4 software, there is no video support in the browsers is provided. You cannot watch videos; CNN, youtube...etc..

- Loaded latest version of VZ Navigator - Version 2.99, and tried to enter an address for directions. Numerical keys e.g. ALT-whatever are all remapped wrong and screwed up. Entering "9725" yields "7@14." The "H" key does not work at all. The keyboard works fine with everything else. Tech support had me reboot, cold reboot, remove and reinstall application, but nothing worked. I tried to use "where am I now?" function and thew GPS would search and search and time out. This is in the Northern VA metro area. No excuse for this.

- Phone quality is terrible. Speaker phone is scratchy and breaks up.

- MP3 player is primitive. Skipping songs is tedious. Controls are limited. Only MPEG4 is supported even though they claim to support WMV. Videos do not convert correctly and cannot be stored on the MicroSD Card.

- Worst of all is the "trackball" which replaced the old trackwheel. This is the most pathetic piece of hardware I have ever encountered. The trackwheel is inaccurate. It jumps all over the place. I can barely select icons. Playing Brickbreaker is out of the question. It simply doesn't work right.

I am going back to the old 8703e for the remainder of my contract. When my contract expires in November, I think I'll ditch Verizon and Blackberry altogether and get an AT&T I-Phone after they upgrade the speed to 3GL - 400-700 KBPS.

Worst thing is I spent hours on the phone with Verizon sales and technical support, configuring, reconfiguring and testing this piece of garbage, only to have to abandon the phone alltogether.

Last edited by King Solomon; 05-23-2008 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old 05-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Solomon View Post
Problems are numerous:

- The Blackberry Version 4.3 Browsers are the same crappy versions from four years ago dating back to Version 4.0. I need to access my work E-mail using Outlook Web Access on Exchange 2003 which requires IE 5.0 or Netscape 4.8 or higher. I tried all five of the Blackberry browsers with all options checked and received server errors with all five. I tried to use the Outlook Web Access connector provided at the Blackberry website with the same result - error message. I tried loading Opera Mini (suggested on some forums/websites) and it does not even support https. Bottom line - I cannot access my work E-mail using Outlook Web Acccess - and no workarounds exist. Verizon Tech support refused to help - they only promise to support synchronization with the Blackberry Server - BES.

- As in previous version of Blackberry 4 softweare, no video support in the browsers is provided. You cannot watch videos.

- Loaded latest version of VZ Navigator - Version 2.99, and tried to enter an address for directions. Numerical keys e.g. ALT-whatever are all remapped wrong and screwed up. Entering "9725" yields "7@14." The "H" key does not work at all. The keyboard works fine with everything else. Tech support had me reboot, cold reboot, remove and reinstall application, but nothing worked. I tried to use "where am I now?" function and thew GPS would search and search and time out. This is in the Northern VA metro area. No excuse for this.

- MP3 player is primitive. Skipping songs is tedious. Controls are limited. Videos do not convert and cannot be stored on the MicroSD Card.

- Worst of all is the "trackball" which replaced the old trackwheel. This is the most pathetic piece of hardware I have ever encountered. The trackwheel is inaccurate. It jumps all over the place. I can barely select icons. Playing Brickbreaker is out of the question. It simply doesn't work right.

I am going back to the old 8703e for the remainder of my contract. When my contract expires nin November, I think I'll ditch Verizon and Blackberry altogether and get an AT&T I-Phone after they upgrade the speed to 3GL - 400-700 KBPS.

Worst thing is I spent hours on the phone with Verizon sales and technical support, configuring, reconfiguring and testing this piece of garbage, only to have to abandon the phone alltogether.
Well I am sorry for your issues and it sounds like you are doing the right thing in your case. I just want to ask though.... did you try setting up your work email via BIS? I am not sure why you are trying to access it via the browser.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
King Solomon

Default BES causes problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Well I am sorry for your issues and it sounds like you are doing the right thing in your case. I just want to ask though.... did you try setting up your work email via BIS? I am not sure why you are trying to access it via the browser.

E-
I cannot used BES. They have security protocols that are unacceptable. For example, I cannot load software on my phone and am forced to use complex passwords.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (et tu brute'?)

What about BIS different from BES.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I cannot used BES. They have security protocols that are unacceptable. For example, I cannot load software on my phone and am forced to use complex passwords.
I said BIS...works like BES but it runs outside the company. It can access your email via your OWA account. You would just have to synch your contacts and calendar via the USB cord.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Quote:
Problems are numerous:
I have nothing but good dealings with Verizon Support. I had an XV6800 for 5 months and called and complained about the bluetooth issues and they gave me a new 8830 without any issue (30 minutes on the phone). I just ask for their manager after explaining the issues I am having.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Same here I couldn't ask for a better BB or company.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Problems are numerous:

- As in previous version of Blackberry 4 software, there is no video support in the browsers is provided. You cannot watch videos; CNN, youtube...etc..

- MP3 player is primitive. Skipping songs is tedious. Controls are limited. Only MPEG4 is supported even though they claim to support WMV. Videos do not convert correctly and cannot be stored on the MicroSD Card.

I am going back to the old 8703e for the remainder of my contract. When my contract expires in November, I think I'll ditch Verizon and Blackberry altogether and get an AT&T I-Phone after they upgrade the speed to 3GL - 400-700 KBPS.

1) there is video support...you can watch YouTube videos very easily and FAST b/c it's 3G. i don't know where you came up with the assumption that you can't watch videos online. i've watched several since i got it last week

2) cannot comment on the VZ Navigator...i rely on my TomTom and it has never failed me...

3) speaker phone is not scratchy for me and does not break up. call quality is excellent and you can adjust the treble and bass of the speaker. the speaker phone and speaker are louder and clearer than my 8700

4) i would never use the blackberry for mp3's...that's why i have an ipod. granted it has the ability to listen to tunes...but am i really going to load on 4GB of music? HECK no. do you really expect navigating mp3 tracks with a blackberry is going to be as easy as the click wheel on an ipod? use your head dude. ALSO...videos can be stored on the microSD card...you just need to go to "options" and configure it....way to read the manual

5) track ball is NOT all over the place. you need to set your sensitivity settings. if your thumb is too jittery...then turn down the sensitivity settings (vertical and horizontal) so that you have more control of the movements.

6) if you go with the iphone...it won't solve most of these problems. chances are you will just find new things to complain about...such as how the screen is not sensitive enough...or how the buttons on the screen to text are too small...or not enough advanced email support...etc.

if i were you, i would have posted a few threads on here, gotten some answers from knowledgable people such as John Clark and JSanders...read some of the FAQ...read the manual...then go to verizon for additional questions. if you are still having difficulties with the track ball and the speaker is cracking too much...you should have taken in the phone to a verizon store and swapped it out on the spot. then, make them test it right there. talking to them on the phone definitely wouldn't have solved most of your problems.

that is just my take on your situation...

Last edited by JGBerry; 05-23-2008 at 07:15 PM..
Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Loving my Alltel 8330.....

I get my City mail, personal mail ect... I can watch youtube vids and have no trackball issues...

My .02

Kris
Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Tritan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ?
Carrier: Nextel
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
1) there is video support...you can watch YouTube videos very easily and FAST b/c it's 3G. i don't know where you came up with the assumption that you can't watch videos online. i've watched several since i got it last week

2) cannot comment on the VZ Navigator...i rely on my TomTom and it has never failed me...

3) speaker phone is not scratchy for me and does not break up. call quality is excellent and you can adjust the treble and bass of the speaker. the speaker phone and speaker are louder and clearer than my 8700

4) i would never use the blackberry for mp3's...that's why i have an ipod. granted it has the ability to listen to tunes...but am i really going to load on 4GB of music? HECK no. do you really expect navigating mp3 tracks with a blackberry is going to be as easy as the click wheel on an ipod? use your head dude. ALSO...videos can be stored on the microSD card...you just need to go to "options" and configure it....way to read the manual

5) track ball is NOT all over the place. you need to set your sensitivity settings. if your thumb is too jittery...then turn down the sensitivity settings (vertical and horizontal) so that you have more control of the movements.

6) if you go with the iphone...it won't solve most of these problems. chances are you will just find new things to complain about...such as how the screen is not sensitive enough...or how the buttons on the screen to text are too small...or not enough advanced email support...etc.

if i were you, i would have posted a few threads on here, gotten some answers from knowledgable people such as John Clark and JSanders...read some of the FAQ...read the manual...then go to verizon for additional questions. if you are still having difficulties with the track ball and the speaker is cracking too much...you should have taken in the phone to a verizon store and swapped it out on the spot. then, make them test it right there. talking to them on the phone definitely wouldn't have solved most of your problems.

Nice reply, i hate complainers for any phone company , phone or feature.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
i hate complainers
What did I dew??????????
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
Darker Blitz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:

Also, there is a volume control for the speaker phone. sometimes if it's all the way it, it will crack. just lower it a little bit. it's still loud. loud enough for me to have it on my lap while i'm in my car with the windows open and talk.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
What did I dew??????????
he was talking about the guy who wrote the thread haha
dohhh.

i love the curve...i just need to get used to the scrunched keyboard! lol.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker Blitz View Post

Also, there is a volume control for the speaker phone. sometimes if it's all the way it, it will crack. just lower it a little bit. it's still loud. loud enough for me to have it on my lap while i'm in my car with the windows open and talk.
agreed. just lower the speaker a little, and it's still plenty loud and still WAY louder than the 8700.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
he was talking about the guy who wrote the thread haha
dohhh.
I know... I was just being a dork

Kris
Old 05-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
I know... I was just being a dork

Kris
haha k
Old 05-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8330)

m.youtube.com

If your company has an oma server you can goto http://mis.<Yourcompanydomain>.com/oma to access your email via the blackberry browser. Although it is substantially silly when it sounds like you can use a BES but you choose not to because of some IT policies. That is the equivalent of not driving a car because you are not happy with the speed limit.

If you have a bluetooth A2DP compatible headset, it is very simple to skip a song, you just push the skip song button on the headset.

As for the navigator app not working properly, have you tried any of the numerous alternative nav apps (some are even free) - although VZ may have GPS locked down.

There are also half a dozen excellent video converters you can find links to on this site. Many of us have dozens of videos stored on our SD Cards.

As for your use of the rollerball, I have two words for you: keyboad shrtcuts.

Sorry you've had such a lousy experience, but 90% of the stuff you are complaining about is fixable and a bit user generated.

Good luck with your iPhone, I hear typing an email on one of those is a pure joy.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #18
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdarden
Wirelessly posted (8330)

m.youtube.com

If your company has an oma server you can goto http://mis.<Yourcompanydomain>.com/oma to access your email via the blackberry browser. Although it is substantially silly when it sounds like you can use a BES but you choose not to because of some IT policies. That is the equivalent of not driving a car because you are not happy with the speed limit.

If you have a bluetooth A2DP compatible headset, it is very simple to skip a song, you just push the skip song button on the headset.

As for the navigator app not working properly, have you tried any of the numerous alternative nav apps (some are even free) - although VZ may have GPS locked down.

There are also half a dozen excellent video converters you can find links to on this site. Many of us have dozens of videos stored on our SD Cards.

As for your use of the rollerball, I have two words for you: keyboad shrtcuts.

Sorry you've had such a lousy experience, but 90% of the stuff you are complaining about is fixable and a bit user generated.

Good luck with your iPhone, I hear typing an email on one of those is a pure joy.
Agreed... I heard typing an email on the iPhone is as easy as 134...shoot...I mean 126...ughhh...okay I mean 124...dammit!!!
Okay, now that I've switched back to my blackberry... I was trying to say it was easy as 123 haha
Old 05-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

As far as the VZ Navigator issue, I was struggling with text entry too, until I realized what it was doing... you see, it automatically switches between numbers and text for you, you don't have to hit anything special. When you enter an address, like 123 Anywhere St, when you start typing the first part, it defaults to numbers... then, once you press the space bar and move on to the street name, it switches back to letters automatically.

Same thing when you get down to the ZIP code field.

If you don't realize it's doing this, you'll get mighty confused.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #20
King Solomon

Default Thanks for the responses

I'm so happy to be rid of this phone now!

Anyway, thanks for your input. I have not seen anything that really contradicts or changes what I have said in my original post.

All of the solutions presented are things that I have already tried or have been aware of.

Anyway, thanks all!

KS
Closed Thread