BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:08 AM   #41
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

6... count 'em 6 seconds for my last test. Yeah I think it's safe to say it was IMAP
Old 06-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #42
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Cool.
Now, if Google (and RIM) could just work out a way to do read/unread mark reconciliation this way... they'd almost be as good as Yahoo.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #43
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Oddly enough, setting up GMail as an IMAP account with BIS also enables two-way read mark reconciliation at the expense of delayed message delivery. IMAP seems to cause GMail to fall back to the typical 15 minute polling cycle of a normal POP/IMAP account.
My experience too (apart from odd hiccups). And I have both IMAP and POP enabled on the Gmail account. It's actually a free GoogleApps account (my own domain) and that combo is something that doesn't work currently with Google's own Gmail app for the BB anyway.

POP and IMAP responsiveness should be the other way around (IMAP enabling push, and POP delayed/polled) but the implementation at Google/RIM gives the opposite end user experience, perversely.

Last edited by wibbly; 06-27-2008 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #44
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
My experience too (apart from odd hiccups). And I have both IMAP and POP enabled on the Gmail account. It's actually a free GoogleApps account (my own domain) and that combo is something that doesn't work currently with Google's own Gmail app for the BB anyway.

POP and IMAP responsiveness should be the other way around (IMAP enabling push, and POP delayed/polled) but the implementation at Google/RIM gives the opposite end user experience, perversely.
The GMail app for the BB does work with Google Apps for Domains. I have it configured for my own domain and it works just fine. User ID is yourusername@yourdomain.tld. The password should be pretty obvious ;)

Last edited by Dodge DeBoulet; 06-27-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #45
legacyb4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

One thing I don't like about Gmail/BIS is that mail sent from your BB under the Gmail account don't get copied back to your Gmail account (at least as far as I could tell).

Exchange 2003/2007 Outlook Web Access work fine as does standard IMAP accounts such as mac.com; why not for Gmail?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #46
curtst
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
curtst why would you use that app instead? I am just curious
I don't have the 4.5 software yet so no html email for me. So some email does look with the gmail app.

Once T-mo gets 4.5 I probably will change my mind about it.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #47
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
i never even visit my gmail account anymore
Really ? What about emails that require a longish reply? You bang it all out on your BB ?

I want to do the same as you but when I have a longer email to reply to, I need a full PC keyboard..
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #48
curtst

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have noticed email coming to my bb a lot quicker than it used to. Infact my bb will let me know I have mail while sitting at my computer before the gmail notifier program lets me know.

Last edited by curtst; 07-09-2008 at 09:42 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #49
lemmy

Model: 8300

I have used IMAP but went back to the standard POP setup. I get my messages on my BB within seconds of them showing up in Gmail. I didn't like IMAP being slow and I didn't like how messages sent from the BB didn't show up in Gmail as a sent message. Since I am using POP I have to have the filter in BIS to filter out messages "From" [email address]. However I noticed many are using the Gmail mobile app (the free one) for searching through old mail and other labels, etc. I tried this and when I loaded the gmail mobile app (found here):
Google Mobile - Gmail

on my BB, I stopped receiving mail via BIS. Can anyone tell me a fix for this? It was like since I was using the Gmail App, Gmail stopped pushing email to BIS and to my BB. I really want the GMail mobile app (for the same email address as that I'm getting through BIS) but not at the expense of getting instant BIS Gmail messages. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #50
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

I got my gmail setup and I'm receiving the emails, however; I'm not getting the 'red star' on the email folder to show a new message. I do get the little envelope on the home screen saying I have a new message, but I have to physically open the gmail folder to see if it's that account.

Any thoughts?

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #51
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

bump ^^

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 08-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #52
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

I just read through this entire thread (not that it's THAT long) and see some things that haven't been addressed:

When using Google's mail client on your BB for a Google Apps account, you should be using "Mail by Google", not "Gmail". You can download/install Mail by Google using by going here: http://m.google.com/a

When using POP3 to get your mail in BIS, deleting a message "on Mailbox & Handheld" actually DELETES the message on the server. There is no way to ARCHIVE the server copy from the native BB mail app.

When using IMAP to get your mail in BIS, deleting a message "on Mailbox & Handheld" actually ARCHIVES the message on the server. There is no way to DELETE the server copy from the native BB mail app.

Though I appreciated the read-status synchronization, and wasn't really bothered by the IMAP delays the archive/delete functionality drove me back to POP3 once I realized what was going on.

Also... when using IMAP, the Gmail mailbox is polled every 15 minutes. If new mail has arrived since the last poll, the polling interval is reduced to 3 minutes. If no new mail arrives for 5 successive polling cycles, the cycle is increased to 15 minutes. Polling ceases when the device is turned off. Polling is resumed when the device is powered back on, however receipt of mail during this polling cycle does not trigger a reduction in the polling interval unless the received mail actually arrived in the mailbox within the previous 15 minutes. This information is based on my own experience and confirmation via the "last account activity" link at the bottom of the Gmail main screen.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #53
nycebo

Great note. Thanks Uncle Mike.
Closed Thread