Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
MachOne
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Suggestions fro Getting an 8820 OEM Case Warranty Exchanged

Please Login to Remove!

After about 6 weeks of use, my OEM case clip broke so I contacted AT&T for a replacement. After about 40 mins on the phone with their Premier personnel, they determined they don't carry cases in their warranty inventory - just batteries and chargers.

They suggested buying a new case or contacting RIM. Has anyone successfully had RIM exchange a defective case? I know there are better cases than the OEM one if I choose to buy one, but I feel compelled to pursue exchanging my defective case since it came with my 8820 which is only 6 weeks old. Thankfully my 8820 has performed flawlessly.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
focus88844
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 800
PIN: 24ADAD9B
Carrier: T-mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I see what u saying, it will be hard for them to warranty exchange such item. Just like brakes for your car. But worth a shot to talk to rim though.try to send an email to rim directly. I had an issue with launched devices, which is not covered under anybody's warranth system. Emailed rim, week later got email back and warrantied through them directly.

Contact rim, worth a shot
Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #3
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

contact RIM, because they are the manufacture of the case.

It should be a breeze, cause it does have a warranty. Unless of course, they had a agreement with the carrier to warranty it for them, in that case, RIM will set them straight for you.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #4
MachOne

Default Never As Easy As It Seems

RIM points me to AT&T to replace the holster because they said AT&T is responsible for the phone and accessories once they purchase it from RIM. Problem is AT&T says they don't have replacement holsters for the 8820 (just A/C chargers and batteries). Ironically, if a holster had not shipped with the phone and I had purchased it separately, I would be able to exchange it! This is pretty ridiculous (and frustrating).

Has anyone else had problems with the OEM holster where the belt clip cracks along the hinge pin?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachOne View Post
RIM points me to AT&T to replace the holster because they said AT&T is responsible for the phone and accessories once they purchase it from RIM. Problem is AT&T says they don't have replacement holsters for the 8820 (just A/C chargers and batteries). Ironically, if a holster had not shipped with the phone and I had purchased it separately, I would be able to exchange it! This is pretty ridiculous (and frustrating).

Has anyone else had problems with the OEM holster where the belt clip cracks along the hinge pin?
hmm sounds like at&t should be the ones responsible for it cause they have an agreement with RIM. I would try talking to at&t again.

If not, talk to RIM and tell them AT&T is not helping you out. They should be able to do something like point AT&T in the right direction.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

Go on ebay and buy a new one. Is it worth all the time and frustration for a $25 case?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
MachOne

Default Service Provers Are Responsible for OEM Warranty Replacements

I exchanged several email with RIM tech support and obtained a link to the AT&T website that proved they (AT&T) are responsible for warranty exchanges with the 8820 OEM case. The trick is to find a knowledgeable AT&T rep at a corporate store. Without this combination things seemed dead in the water.

RIM customer service was great!

Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

glad you got it done.

RIM is pretty good with these type of things.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBuckeye View Post
Go on ebay and buy a new one. Is it worth all the time and frustration for a $25 case?
Sometimes, because not everyone is as rich as you.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachOne View Post
I exchanged several email with RIM tech support and obtained a link to the AT&T website that proved they (AT&T) are responsible for warranty exchanges with the 8820 OEM case. The trick is to find a knowledgeable AT&T rep at a corporate store. Without this combination things seemed dead in the water.

RIM customer service was great!

Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Yeah, if you dig up the warranty information, accessories that originally come with the device are covered under the warranty. So it doesn't matter if they carry it or not for regular retail sales. However, they can substitute.

Tmobile's warranty is extremely poorly written, but I would think AT&T's is a bit clearer.
Closed Thread