BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
FrankTheRabbit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E5C6F
Carrier: Cable & Wireless
Default Another batch of Newbie questions :)

Please Login to Remove!

1) What are the video settings I need to put on my editing software such as Final Cut Pro, Avid or anything else? I want to play some of my videos at the best quality possible. Video Size, video and audio codecs, anything I need to know. I don't need suggestions for software, just video settings. By the way, I also have this app called, Video Converter, looks perfect for these kind of tasks...just doesn't have a Blackberry preset.

2) I've noticed some of my BB:Messenger friends have icons on their nicks, are there a list of commands such as (l) and stuff like that?

3) Is there any way I can put down the brightness on my screen through the menu and quick hot keys? I'm sure that could save some battery life.

4) I noticed after adding my data plan and all that techno babble, I really spend a lot of my time chatting on BB:Messenger, but wow, the battery drains out a lot! No I'm not using the WiFi and the Bluetooth is off. Any tips on how to save energy with out constantly switching from 2G to 3G?

5) I'd like to make my own wallpaper/background, are there any settings on Photoshop I need to add? Resolution, Color Depth, I heard images CAN lag the phone if they're not saved properly.

6) Anything I should look out for, software-wise, when it comes to keeping my phone stable, free of constant lockups?

7) Is there software I can download for blogging? I guess I can use E-Mailing for blogging but maybe there's something better out there I obviously don't know of.

8) Custom themes slow down the phone? What kind of things slow down the phone aside from multiple applications open?

9) Can I add my own sound effects for alerts?

10) Is there a way I can make the display pictures of my contacts appear larger in the address book and also when they call?

One more thing...

11) What's the hot key for keypad blocking the phone.

Those are the questions I can think of right now, take your time guys.

Last edited by FrankTheRabbit; 02-13-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

3) options->screen and keyboard->brightness
4)upgrade OS from .162
10) no, not that i am aware, its a specific size for a reason, though i dont know that reason

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
FrankTheRabbit

Upgrade to .162 really? Alright, I'll do that, my provider said not to do that because I could "brick" the phone. I don't know, I'll do it anyways, just let them know. So how do I do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
3) options->screen and keyboard->brightness
4)upgrade OS from .162
10) no, not that i am aware, its a specific size for a reason, though i dont know that reason
Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

not to FROM.
any OS above that, .216 is the latest, the link to the OS and instructions can be found in the stickied thread at the top of the forum.

If you dont follow the instructions, then yes, you can brick your phone, but your carrier isnt going to recommend any OS besides their own, and if your carrier isn't offering a later release that fixes alot of things with the Bold, then they are both dumb and holding you back.
You may be able to find if your carrier has a later OS from picking your carrier from this page:BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

if they dont have one that is more than .162, update to the one in the thread. theres no point in letting your carrier know that you've used some other carrier's OS on your phone.
if you have problems, you can always downgrade the OS back to the original

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 02-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
scuzzilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange France

Sorry for the hijack but I don't want to open another thread for one question.

Is it possible to permanently change the color of the notification LED? So that it's (for example) always blinking blue, whatever happened?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
FrankTheRabbit

Haha it's alright, good question by the way.

Come on guys you can get a lot of questions for your FAQ's on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzilla View Post

Is it possible to permanently change the color of the notification LED? So that it's (for example) always blinking blue, whatever happened?

Last edited by FrankTheRabbit; 02-13-2009 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
FrankTheRabbit

Probably asked too many questions hehe :S
Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:

Nope

Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
nick.dollimount
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers

1) You want the format to be 480x320 (The size of the screen). I find XVID or DIVX both work very well. If I were at home, I'd get you the exact settings I use... but that's all I can say about that for now.

2) While you're in BB Messenger, open up a conversation with one of your contacts. Press the SYM key 3 times to show the emoticons available. As you scroll through them and highlight them, you'll see the key shortcut command at the bottom of the display box. That's what you would type in to get it in your name.

3) Previously stated above (Midnightdraven).

4) Agreed to update OS. But I would have to suggest using the latest beta of .234... it's been solid as a rock for me since I had it installed.

5) 480x320 resolution. Save it as a PNG file. I believe blackberry deals better with them rather than JPEGs.

6) I've seen some "memory cleaners" floating around but I've never tried them. ....I personally rather knowing what to clean out myself.

7) I did a quick Google search and found this for you; sounds about what you're looking for.
http://www.christinawarren.com/2008/...dpress-client/

8) The biggest slow-down I've noticed is SMS messages. I've recently started texting A LOT after making a few new friends who don't have a Blackberry. So as my inbox fills with text messages, my Bold gets rurrrrrl sluggish. So every couple days now, I go in and delete prior to the current day and all is well.

9) You sure can! You can use any sounds you may have in your Ringtones folder or even any of your actual music stores on either the phone or an SD card. On the main screen, you can scroll up to the Speaker icon and press the wheel. Or if you have Dial From Home Screen turned OFF, you can press the F key to bring up the profiles. Scroll down and click on Advanced. Then you can choose which profile to edit or create your very own. Within the profile, you have individual options for all the types of alerts you can have. You can set the sound, volume, vibration, etc.

10) As stated before, I don't think so either. Although I agree; I'd like to see a larger preview when just viewing a contact. Tip for putting in pictures; if you have Microsoft Outlook and syncing your contacts with it, you can set up all the contact pictures easily on your desktop and sync them. ....although I think you have a Mac?

11) I think you mean locking the phone, right? If so, there are two ways. You can either hold in the A key and it will lock. Or if you have Dial From Home Screen turned off, you can just quickly press the K key from the main screen. Advantages of the K key is it's quicker because you don't have to hold it in. But holding in the A button is accessible from anywhere.

**Note on Dial From Home Screen**
When you have this feature turned off, you then have access to a lot of shortcuts from the home screen. To know what shortcuts are available, just slowly scroll through your applications. You'll notice when the name of the applications show up, some of them have an underlined letter. That letter corresponds to its shortcut key. So those applications with shortcuts can be launched quickly from the home screen or the applications list.

To turn off Dial From Home Screen: Go into your phone application by pressing the SEND button once. Press the Menu button and click on Options. Select General Option. Dial From Home Screen is listed in there. Set the option to No. This will enable all the home screen shortcuts.

So I hope this helps. And I hope you love your new blackberry as much as the rest of us! =D
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Alot of your questions would be answered here:
BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ, including a full list of the home screen short cuts.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
scuzzilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange France

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post

7) I did a quick Google search and found this for you; sounds about what you're looking for.
christinawarren.com/2008/08/08/blackberry-wordpress-client/
Hm, doesn't work for me - I can't find the option to enable ATOM / RSS. It's not where it should be (or anywhere else on the settings page), according to the link above. :/
Old 02-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
FrankTheRabbit

Hey man thanks a lot, your answer help out a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
1) You want the format to be 480x320 (The size of the screen). I find XVID or DIVX both work very well. If I were at home, I'd get you the exact settings I use... but that's all I can say about that for now.

2) While you're in BB Messenger, open up a conversation with one of your contacts. Press the SYM key 3 times to show the emoticons available. As you scroll through them and highlight them, you'll see the key shortcut command at the bottom of the display box. That's what you would type in to get it in your name.

3) Previously stated above (Midnightdraven).

4) Agreed to update OS. But I would have to suggest using the latest beta of .234... it's been solid as a rock for me since I had it installed.

5) 480x320 resolution. Save it as a PNG file. I believe blackberry deals better with them rather than JPEGs.

6) I've seen some "memory cleaners" floating around but I've never tried them. ....I personally rather knowing what to clean out myself.

http://www.christinawarren.com/2008/...dpress-client/

8) The biggest slow-down I've noticed is SMS messages. I've recently started texting A LOT after making a few new friends who don't have a Blackberry. So as my inbox fills with text messages, my Bold gets rurrrrrl sluggish. So every couple days now, I go in and delete prior to the current day and all is well.

9) You sure can! You can use any sounds you may have in your Ringtones folder or even any of your actual music stores on either the phone or an SD card. On the main screen, you can scroll up to the Speaker icon and press the wheel. Or if you have Dial From Home Screen turned OFF, you can press the F key to bring up the profiles. Scroll down and click on Advanced. Then you can choose which profile to edit or create your very own. Within the profile, you have individual options for all the types of alerts you can have. You can set the sound, volume, vibration, etc.

10) As stated before, I don't think so either. Although I agree; I'd like to see a larger preview when just viewing a contact. Tip for putting in pictures; if you have Microsoft Outlook and syncing your contacts with it, you can set up all the contact pictures easily on your desktop and sync them. ....although I think you have a Mac?

11) I think you mean locking the phone, right? If so, there are two ways. You can either hold in the A key and it will lock. Or if you have Dial From Home Screen turned off, you can just quickly press the K key from the main screen. Advantages of the K key is it's quicker because you don't have to hold it in. But holding in the A button is accessible from anywhere.

**Note on Dial From Home Screen**
When you have this feature turned off, you then have access to a lot of shortcuts from the home screen. To know what shortcuts are available, just slowly scroll through your applications. You'll notice when the name of the applications show up, some of them have an underlined letter. That letter corresponds to its shortcut key. So those applications with shortcuts can be launched quickly from the home screen or the applications list.

To turn off Dial From Home Screen: Go into your phone application by pressing the SEND button once. Press the Menu button and click on Options. Select General Option. Dial From Home Screen is listed in there. Set the option to No. This will enable all the home screen shortcuts.

So I hope this helps. And I hope you love your new blackberry as much as the rest of us! =D
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
Nope
Um, Yes! It's called BB Alerts. You can download a trial at Handango and if it's what your looking for $ 12.95

Hijack post answered, back to our regularly scheduled posting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread